What retro things have you done today?

Today I have watched the Fred Savage 1989 classic 'The Wizard' with my 2 year old and took delivery of 127 floppy disks!

Last edited:
I'm going for a Phil's Computer Lab style Windows 98 build - PCIe!

I'm using this S478 945chipset ddr2 board and I've got a PCIe 6600GT on the way. I've put a normal cooler on it which is actually not too loud. I also bought a 2.4GHz Northwood before I found my 3GHz HT Prescott so I'm using that as the Northwood never turned up!

PXL-20211014-131822485.jpg

My als4000 card will be going in too.

W98 installed fine which is surprising considering it's got 1GB of RAM. I might installed the unofficial patch (never used it before) and up to to 2GB just got get dual channel 667MHz RAM on a 98 build.

The usb keyboard and mouse worked thr whole way through the installation too which is surprising! This has been suspiciously straight forward.

Last edited:
I had a sad moment thinking my X1950 XT had died because it wasn't displaying an image despite the fans spinning up and down through POST, and got even more sad when I saw the price of them on eBay. turns out it just won't display a signal my modern monitor will recognise so it shows no signal until it reaches the desktop and shows 1024*768 or whatever the Standard Windows Driver resolution is.

With drivers installed it works and accelerates 'fine' but it still won't play nicely with it with the image underscanning by more than the under/overscan utility allows for in CCC, and the monitor thinks it's 1280*720 is actually 1440*900 so something is going on...

It works fine on an older DVI monitor though. Long live my X1950XT! It's my favourite graphics card i own for reasons I can't really explain. Edit it cost me £6 from CEX lol

PXL-20221215-173914303.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going for a Phil's Computer Lab style Windows 98 build - PCIe!

I'm using this S478 945chipset ddr2 board and I've got a PCIe 6600GT on the way. I've put a normal cooler on it which is actually not too loud. I also bought a 2.4GHz Northwood before I found my 3GHz HT Prescott so I'm using that as the Northwood never turned up!
I had the 2.4c Northwood back in the day, awesome for overclocking, it sat it 3.3GHz fine on air cooling which was quicker than the quickest you could buy at the time (3.2) :cool:

Not been feeling too good lately so haven’t had chance to do much, but finally got one of my LGA775 shuttles booted up!

It’s only an entry level G31 chipset but I’ve maxed it out! The PSU died so I bought a new 500w modular flex PSU off AliExpress so I could run pretty much any (single slot) GPU without worrying. Got various GPU’s I run on it including much later more powerful ones but the 4850 looks so good in it and it’s period correct.

Specs are:

SG31G2
Q9550
4GB Corsair DDR2 800
480GB SSD
HD 4850
500w PSU

Last edited:
Not been feeling too good lately so haven’t had chance to do much, but finally got one of my LGA775 shuttles booted up!

It’s only an entry level G31 chipset but I’ve maxed it out! The PSU died so I bought a new 500w modular flex PSU off AliExpress so I could run pretty much any (single slot) GPU without worrying. Got various GPU’s I run on it including much later more powerful ones but the 4850 looks so good in it and it’s period correct.

Specs are:

SG31G2
Q9550
4GB Corsair DDR2 800
480GB SSD
HD 4850
500w PSU
Nice looking machine! What are you playing on it?

Nice looking machine! What are you playing on it?

Thanks mate!

Nothing yet haha. Wasn’t sure if I should go with XP or windows 7, but I’ve got another LGA775 shuttle that I posted about earlier (x48 based) which I think I will put XP on.

It’s currently installing all the updates for windows 7. Will have a play with it later if I get chance.

Pls, I need to know the model of that PSU :D, the weak part of the Shuttle units are those 250W power supplies.
Nice unit with the HD4850. I used different similar cards like 9600GT, 8800GT or HD 3850 with the 250W PSU's, but I was afraid it will blow up, so I went to 8600GT or other cards that don't require a 6 PIN cable.

Pls, I need to know the model of that PSU :D, the weak part of the Shuttle units are those 250W power supplies.
Nice unit with the HD4850. I used different similar cards like 9600GT, 8800GT or HD 3850 with the 250W PSU's, but I was afraid it will blow up, so I went to 8600GT or other cards that don't require a 6 PIN cable.

Hey mate, it’s called a METALFISH Flex 500W - there’s various reviews and feedback about it online on forums where people have opened it up and inspected it. It costs about £60 delivered from China for the 500w version. You can also buy a 300 and 400w version cheaper. I went with the 500 just purely because it wasn’t that much more expensive and I think the headroom makes sense!

I had a bit of a bargain pickup recently. Managed to get 2 Dell 20" 2007FP 1600x1200 monitors on dual monitor arm stand for £6.50. I had the 24" Monitor which was in storage so I grabbed the stand off that as I only wanted to run 1 monitor. I've put the other one into storage as its always handy to have a spare. Really happy with them.

kmaqkpmh.jpg

Cheap bundle with a couple of cases, slot 1 boards (1 has onboard ATI and Yamaha XG) and other stuff if anyone's near Kent?

Cheap bundle with a couple of cases, slot 1 boards (1 has onboard ATI and Yamaha XG) and other stuff if anyone's near Kent?
Thats within my range :)

Back
Top Bottom