What retro things have you done today?

Dug out some other parts. Going to knock up a Core 2 era system since I reckon that's a relatively decent mix of retro hardware but not being too retro. I've got a couple of boards with a variety of CPUs - an E6600 and a couple of Quads, one being a Q8400 and can't remember what the other is.

The best old card I've got kicking around is a GeForce 7900 GTX which might be a bit too old for a Core 2 era build as it was out in 2006. What would people suggest for games of this era? I'm thinking a GTX 285 would be roughly period correct and a good enough card for the time.

Arguably the 7900 GTX and Core 2 Duo were both out in 2006 so that wouldn't be a bad pairing, but the Q8400 was from 2009.

Last edited:
Thanks for the inspiration folks, ordered one of these on Amazon today arrives tomorrow. Does it come with any roms preloaded? If got a large stash elsewhere just in case.
How much was it on Amazon out of interest?
Mine came preloaded but noticed it says it doesnt from certain stores.
Stock OS is pretty good I think for the average person who just wants to play a few games. GarlicOS is much better though - improved performance, battery life, system support and modding.

Join the Discord group for it, it's quickly turned into a bit of a development project with the other GarlicOS people - Themes, skins, apps, ports, new systems, button, cases other extra parts etc. Just Dosbox-pure, Amiga and Sega X32 is worth it IMO.
There's already video player, Doom and Diablo ports and many other things - https://www.patreon.com/posts/garlicos-for-76561333

Here's a few screenshots from how mine looks

uypBEoxh.jpg

8LE4ZZEh.jpg

Tgh0fYhh.jpg

6jcoJzsh.jpg

Last edited:
How much was it on Amazon out of interest?
Mine came preloaded but noticed it says it doesnt from certain stores.
Stock OS is pretty good I think for the average person who just wants to play a few games. GarlicOS is much better though - improved performance, battery life, system support and modding.

Join the Discord group for it, it's quickly turned into a bit of a development project with the other GarlicOS people - Themes, skins, apps, ports, new systems, button, cases other extra parts etc. Just Dosbox-pure, Amiga and Sega X32 is worth it IMO.
There's already video player, Doom and Diablo ports and many other things - https://www.patreon.com/posts/garlicos-for-76561333

Here's a few screenshots from how mine looks

Thanks - appreciated. It was £60 plus £12 next day delivery.

Dug out some other parts. Going to knock up a Core 2 era system since I reckon that's a relatively decent mix of retro hardware but not being too retro. I've got a couple of boards with a variety of CPUs - an E6600 and a couple of Quads, one being a Q8400 and can't remember what the other is.

The best old card I've got kicking around is a GeForce 7900 GTX which might be a bit too old for a Core 2 era build as it was out in 2006. What would people suggest for games of this era? I'm thinking a GTX 285 would be roughly period correct and a good enough card for the time.

Arguably the 7900 GTX and Core 2 Duo were both out in 2006 so that wouldn't be a bad pairing, but the Q8400 was from 2009.

I've always got time for 775 builds. I've currently got a Q6600 running at 2.7GHz and 4GB of DDR2 along side a GTX275.

I would say if you're using a 1080p monitor then you might find period correct graphics cards a bit lacking. For instance my other system, Q6700 3.3GHz 8GB DDR3 was quite happy with a GTX780 or 290X on a 1440p monitor just get
high framerates at this res for "Windows 7 gaming".

NP. That's not bad I think mine came to about £70 too. I initially ordered direct with Anbernic but shipping would have taken over month because of Chinese new year. I like things to come next day

Aaaand it's here. Had 10 mins on it, comes with plenty of ROMS but I've got a load more to put on it. I will need to use my glasses but it looks great so far, that screen is nice and crisp.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Aaaand it's here. Had 10 mins on it, comes with plenty of ROMS but I've got a load more to put on it. I will need to use my glasses but it looks great so far, that screen is nice and crisp.

Thanks again for the heads up!
Wow, nice and fast.
I would certainly recommend installing GarlicOS on a new 16gb card with a 128 or 256 in TM2 for ROMs, BIOS and Saves.
The stock cards are prone to fail (though ive had no issues with mine)

3d printed front cover arrived from Canada today. Fits great, small company on Etsy/guy on Discord

aWRaZWB.jpg

7o3almF.jpg

Last edited:
Excuse the mess , today is gamegear day, 3 recaps done , 2 having new IPS screens :)
75-B5-BE49-37-DE-4-B00-8-CF4-648-A7-CA07-BB7.jpg

I watch OtaKing Animation on Youtube, he does a lot of amazing hand drawn animation inspired by 80s/90s anime. I always found the intro for his live streams pretty mesmerizing.

I looked up the intro music and it's from Driller on C64. I had no idea tunes like that were being done back then. Well I don't recall hearing that kind of music on my Acorn and Spectrum games. I think it still holds up as a great tune today!

got this immaculate 19" 1280x1024 Fujitsu from fleabay for£35 inc next delivery. not a single scratch or mark on the screen, the seller also fitted protective film over the panel and it came in an enormous box, i think they were one of the last brands to keep with beige colours

ignore the ghosting, i had a duff VGA cable which ive now replaced

vOmPgg6.jpg
RLoKOER.jpg

I43x7B5.jpg

Last edited:
GF3 Ti 500 and Voodoo 2 but looks like they have been spotted already.
Used also instead of Parts listing. "The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended"
If they don't work, send back for a return

Back
Top Bottom