What retro things have you done today?

Got my order through for the EON Super64. Holy smokes it's impressive in slick mode. Played some Snowboard Kids 2

Looking at getting a Bluetooth adaptor now to use my NSO 64 controller

I've been looking at Everdrives for my N64. As the way I have my N64 tucked away means I have to pull it out of a unit every time to change carts.

Any recommendations for an Everdrive alternative? Maybe one I can get directly in the UK so don't have to pay international shipping?

I had an old dell Optiplex 745 dual core machine, pretty useless for most things, too modern to use it for anything retro and too slow for anything modern... so I turned it into a Sega Master System/Mega Drive Impossible right?

Not with Batocera I tell ya Batocera is amazing I wasn't expecting much when I installed it to this machine but it runs like a charm and I can play all the Sega Master System games on it and my game pads work right out the box without any messing about. No computer is ever truly useless.

Last edited:
I've been playing around with PCem & 86Box and overall they do seem very good especially when compared to the actual physical hardware.

86Box does seem to be my preferred emulator but there is one annoyance with it, when using 3dfx mode on Carmageddon there is an annoying black bar at the top of the screen, this isn't present with PCem or the actual physical hardware, all drivers are the same etc as essentially I am using the same HDD image for all systems.

UWZvakj.jpg

Has anyone else noticed this with 86Box or PCem?

Cheers Chris

I am really into my retro and mod my consoles where I can.
One of the biggest things is 60hz modding due to the inferior PAL setups we had in Europe.

The NES it seems is simply impossible to modify without changing the two main chips and the oscilator crystal.
As buying an NTSC NES and shipping from the US is pricey, I wondered if anyone here had bought a Famicom (Jap so can be had for ~£30) and converted a PAL NES to NTSC? I have seen Youtube videos, just wondered if it was common place.

Last edited:
I've been playing around with PCem & 86Box and overall they do seem very good especially when compared to the actual physical hardware.

86Box does seem to be my preferred emulator but there is one annoyance with it, when using 3dfx mode on Carmageddon there is an annoying black bar at the top of the screen, this isn't present with PCem or the actual physical hardware, all drivers are the same etc as essentially I am using the same HDD image for all systems.

UWZvakj.jpg

Has anyone else noticed this with 86Box or PCem?

Cheers Chris
I never got on with 86box, always preferred PCem. No bars on PCem

Me yesterday / today setup a 486 config with DOS 6.22, 2GB HDD, 16MB RAM, AWE32. I do miss the good old days of memory configuration for conventional, XMS, config.sys, autoexec.bat and having to setup & configure your games so they work. Today, the home user OS and setup is boring and requires no thinking at all.

Imagine if the masses of today had to deal with DOS or even Windows 9X

Last edited:
That’s debatable :p
Indeed.
Gone are the days of owning the software you pay for, having no adverts and bloatware, deleting a folder to remove all traces of the game/software installed.

My main point though being you needed to use your brain to use a home computer in the 90s. Being labelled a ‘geek’ if you had a pc or even phone in the 90s or even early 2000s. A bit different to today

I never got on with 86box, always preferred PCem. No bars on PCem

Me yesterday / today setup a 486 config with DOS 6.22, 2GB HDD, 16MB RAM, AWE32. I do miss the good old days of memory configuration for conventional, XMS, config.sys, autoexec.bat and having to setup & configure your games so they work. Today, the home user OS and setup is boring and requires no thinking at all.

Imagine if the masses of today had to deal with DOS or even Windows 9X

Yes it's weird that there is this difference between them when other than that they look identical,

The only reason I looked into 86Box over PCem was it has additional soundcards to play around with such as the AWE64,

Yes as someone who grew up with a 386 making floppies with different Autoexec & Config files to get certain games working it does show we have come a long way

Yes as someone who grew up with a 386 making floppies with different Autoexec & Config files to get certain games working it does show we have come a long way
Looking back I actually learnt a surprising amount from trying to get various games working…how to conserve conventional memory by loading stuff into extended memory, EMM386 etc. :)

Looking back I actually learnt a surprising amount from trying to get various games working…how to conserve conventional memory by loading stuff into extended memory, EMM386 etc. :)
Me too, not as much as my first machine was Windows 95. I did still boot into DOS though and some friends parents had DOS 6.22 machines.

My career in IT started with me owning an Amiga from the age of 7 and using PCs from ~11. General troubleshoot and "why the hell doesnt this game/program work" Id spend hours figuring out why or rebuilding the OS then it would work and Id play it for 5 minutes and move onto the next thing that didnt work :rolleyes: :D

Back
Top Bottom