What retro things have you done today?

Another "retro" build just finished which I wanted to show as I'm happy with this one too!

I had the chassis of my old T5400 sitting around, and decided to build something interesting inside it. Unfortunately Dell use proprietary everything, so this involved replacing all fans, front IO, and even the power button, cutting out the rear IO plate to allow me to install a standard IO shield, cutting off a couple of motherboard standoffs and the CPU heatsink retaining standoffs, drilling new holes to mount the PSU, and more.

I then made a custom plate to cover the cables and to mount the drives to.

It is running, most notably, a Pentium 4 651 'Cedar Mill' overclocked to 4.42GHz, and a pair of WD Velociraptors in RAID 0, with Vista Business installed using the machines original license sticker. :D

7aDavbG.jpg
nJtmLa0.jpg

qijEIoB.jpg

B3YP33t.jpg
DO9udcJ.jpg

Last edited:
I should join in being doing some bits for our man @rare - recapped an entire s939 board and next up I'm fixing a old school power supply. Bit different from the stuff I normally look at!

Last edited:
@Vince you are the gift that keeps giving haha! Absolute hero! :D

I really should start posting more about what I’m up to. I’m sure some of you guys would like to see some of the builds I’ve been doing, I just never get round to properly taking pictures etc along the way…I will start documenting stuff a bit better I think, for my own sake if nothing else.

@Vince you are the gift that keeps giving haha! Absolute hero! :D

I really should start posting more about what I’m up to. I’m sure some of you guys would like to see some of the builds I’ve been doing, I just never get round to properly taking pictures etc along the way…I will start documenting stuff a bit better I think, for my own sake if nothing else.

Tomorrow is shipping day :D - i'll hit you up with the details in PM!

I've just got a pre order in for the next batch of N64 wireless dongles from RetroBit.

It means I can use the N64 wireless controller from Switch on the 64 itself. Also has a built in memory pak. Lovely.

I Updated the Retro Gaming and Vintage Computing sticky :D

I Updated the Retro Gaming and Vintage Computing sticky :D

I think Wii should now be included. Launched November 2006

I recreated a DR DOS 5.25" installation disk, this first label looks ok, but i can get it better with the way i import into label software, printed the silver sticker and write protect tabs as well. Im going to build a dos PC , but i only have one 5.25 " drive in my win 98 pc, and its playing up. It probably needs a clean, but i think it would be less trouble if i create a 3.5" disk set instead. so i will do these next.

edLYBXK.jpg

I bought a GTX285 but a 2GB model as an upgrade to my 275 796MB card. I was looking for something with more RAM but still "old". Both are by Palit and look the same except for the 285 having heatpipes out the side. £20 on Facebook but fortunately it works (looks immaculate tbh).

Great card if I ever want to SLI 285s. They were always fast cards for the amount of VRAM they had (1GB usually) and not supporting DX11.

PXL-20230828-174939466.jpg

Now I need some VRAM heavy DX10 titles, other than GTA5! A review from the time showed zero change in performance between the 1GB and 2GB models Lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom