What retro things have you done today?

PXL-20230828-100809580-MP.jpg

My Dell Dimension P90 is back out. I love this machine. It is too fast for Dos and too slow for Win95. I have Dos 6.22 and Win 3.11 installed.

The dot matrix printer is working too.

I've played Flight Unlimited and started Under A Killing Moon.

In Windows, I have Netscape Navigator, MS Office, Encarta, Star Wars screensaver collection, and I love listening to Midi music on the Yamaha sound card with S2 Wave table module installed using the Yamaha audio stack software.

I also have AutoRoute Express. Roads have changed a little bit and the second Severn crossing into Wales isn't there.

PXL-20230828-100809580-MP.jpg

My Dell Dimension P90 is back out. I love this machine. It is too fast for Dos and too slow for Win95. I have Dos 6.22 and Win 3.11 installed.

The dot matrix printer is working too.

I've played Flight Unlimited and started Under A Killing Moon.

In Windows, I have Netscape Navigator, MS Office, Encarta, Star Wars screensaver collection, and I love listening to Midi music on the Yamaha sound card with S2 Wave table module installed using the Yamaha audio stack software.

I also have AutoRoute Express. Roads have changed a little bit and the second Severn crossing into Wales isn't there.
Ah...all that beige...brings back so many memories! I also remember that period where hardware was too 'fast' for the older stuff but not quite fast enough for the newer games coming out (if I remember correctly I had some fun with Wing Commander 3 when that first came out...)

Used to use MoSlo (I think it was called that) until I just moved to DosBox :)

Will the board take a quicker CPU so you can get Win95 on there, like a P133/150/200?
It may do, but I don't want to.:p The retro memory is this P90 unit.

The beige box next to this, out of shot, is my P200 MMX running Windows 95.

But this doesn't do the 3D games or video decoding very well due to the video card. The Weezer video from the Win95 CD is a pixelated mess.

And then I've my Windows 98 and XP boxes that need to come out for a play.. Too much retro, too little time.

A small update.

The AST keyboard (which is awesome) has now been replaced by a PS/2 Dell one. It's near period correct, except this one has the windows key on it.

The original had a double speed CD ROM drive. I was using some super speedy 52x speed one. I've now got one that looks less conspicuous. I hope it works.

I have a PS/2 KVM which I will set up with the P200 and this unit.

I do have a lot of kit and I'd love to set it all up like RMC. But I hate people touching my stuff.. :mad: :p

Don't forget to check out the South West Amiga Group. Their next meet is 23rd September, near Bath.

20230903-121934-COLLAGE.jpg

And here we are. The CD Drive is replaced. The P200 MMX is now on the KVM.

There are two mice. One PS/2 for the Dell and one Serial for the P200, but the monitor, keyboard and speakers are all shared.

This Dell unit is ever so slightly different from the one I had. There is an onboard graphics module, currently removed for the Hawkeye Number 9 one. And I never remember the COAST module being there (but I wouldn't have known what that was at the time).

Kids got me a nice RG35xx for my birthday and I'm impressed with it. It's an awesome little device. Can see me playing a lot of old games on this. I really want to try out some romhacks/translations on it. Device came with a 64gb card with stock firmware, but i had a 16gb and 128gb Sandisk extreme cards, so did the 2 SD card setup with GarlicOS.

cQt68e2h.jpg

Last edited:
Kids got me a nice RG35xx for my birthday and I'm impressed with it. It's an awesome little device. Can see me playing a lot of old games on this. I really want to try out some romhacks/translations on it. Device came with a 64gb card with stock firmware, but i had a 16gb and 128gb Sandisk extreme cards, so did the 2 SD card setup with GarlicOS.

cQt68e2h.jpg
Nice!

I have that game on the Saturn, not really a shoot em up game kinda guy tho… no matter how it’s disguised!

Above the sound card? It's a modem with phone line passthrough :)
Sorry last card, the soundcard. I didnt realise the last slot was just damaged and had nothing in.
Usually the volume wheel on the soundcards are the earlier (good) ISA Soundblasters. The guy was unable to open it though "as its now packed and ready to be posted" so unknown

Sorry last card, the soundcard. I didnt realise the last slot was just damaged and had nothing in.
Usually the volume wheel on the soundcards are the earlier (good) ISA Soundblasters. The guy was unable to open it though "as its now packed and ready to be posted" so unknown
I'd suggest it's probably not a Soundblaster as the volume control wheel sits too low.

If I had to guess I'd say something based on ESS688 or ESS1688F :)

I hate when couriers loose stuff, especially if its something you are really looking forward too. What's spec was the machine @Kurgen? Sorry it has happened to you mate.

it was Pentium 200mmx, with all the normal bits, Sound card, vga card, etc was sold as not working, ive got a refind anyway so im not to bothered, i just wish people woulndt use Evri. there is no case for anyone ever needing to use them, they are ****

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom