What retro things have you done today?

Today I replaced the Simm Slots on the SB32. The Plastic clips that lock the Simm in place go brittle and snap. I had some metal clipped ones I salvaged a while ago and decided to swap them out today. Should be a lot stronger with the metal clips.

zLkhwvVh.jpg

RXEhd2Vh.jpg

dYB3CWah.jpg

y3uW5T1h.jpg

Dug out the trusty Master System for a nostalgia trip. Been in the box for about 16 years, still working fine!
I still standby the Master System version of Sonic 1 being the better one :P

Dynamite Duke is also a classic in my eyes, I always really enjoyed the 1v1 boss fights, that spinny kick karate guy can do one though lol

I still standby the Master System version of Sonic 1 being the better one :p

That's my 'default' version. Played it a lot, but have been playing it on my Game Gear recently and that's ported from the MS version. It's faster than the PAL MS version I'm used to and has a smaller viewport. It's tricky :D

It's faster than the PAL MS version I'm used to and has a smaller viewport. It's tricky :D
It definitely is trickier, I do like how the developer added little warning signs on some ledges to compensate for the view.

Speaking of the GG and SMS versions, I wish when sega release the classic collections they would actually include the SMS version, it's always the GG one, surely it makes more sense to include the version designed for a television?

I got loaned a BBC B over the weekend, had been in my friend's loft for the last 25 odd years. I was after a nostalgia trip as I reckon it was just over 40 years ago I got my BBC while doing the final year of my degree. Sadly the nostalgia trip was all too short lived when the dreaded 'magic' smoke started to pore out of the PSU. Looks easy enough to get a capacitor kit and to do a recapping so that's the next step.

funny_cap.jpg

I got loaned a BBC B over the weekend, had been in my friend's loft for the last 25 odd years. I was after a nostalgia trip as I reckon it was just over 40 years ago I got my BBC while doing the final year of my degree. Sadly the nostalgia trip was all too short lived when the dreaded 'magic' smoke started to pore out of the PSU. Looks easy enough to get a capacitor kit and to do a recapping so that's the next step.

funny_cap.jpg

Ah a good old paper foil RIFA capacitor! They are well known for doing this in their old age.
The one in my Apple ][ PSU smoked up after about 20 minutes of use. It had been in a loft for 35 years prior. :)

You would probably be fine just to replace the RIFA (and any others if it has them) thats what I did.

Last edited:
I took down a brand new in box 23 year old CRT monitor from my loft, unpacked it and tested it - fully working!

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4860.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg

23 years ago I bought a new Dell PC bundle, including a 17 inch monitor. Sold by Dell, but it's a Samtron (Samsung) 75E. In the weeks it took to arrive from the time of ordering I received a bonus from work so I decided to upgrade and bought a 21" Iiyama Vision Master Pro. On arrival, the Samsung monitor was unpacked to test that it was working, then packed away to be kept as a backup. It's stayed in my loft until today, when I had to move it to get something from behind the box. I forgot how heavy these things were - I'm not sure I'll be able to lift it back up :D

I'm thinking about doing another retro PC build. I found an old PC last week and I couldn't help taking it home with me, the motherboard is shot as well as the PSU and it was soaking wet but the case is good, perfect for another build. I've got a Slot 1 bored to stick in it with a processor of 350 MHz but it can also be down clocked in the BIOS to 233 MHz maybe good for a Retro DOS build I'm thinking... with a Gotek and 3.5 floppy & 5.25 floppy drive and optical drive. The case is white and the drives will be black, I think black drives in a white case would look interesting. I'm also going to be using a 32GB SSD as I'm out of the old spinning hard drives. I think I have some wood grain sticky back plastic somewhere too...

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaf
I took down a brand new in box 23 year old CRT monitor from my loft, unpacked it and tested it - fully working!

23 years ago I bought a new Dell PC bundle, including a 17 inch monitor. Sold by Dell, but it's a Samtron (Samsung) 75E. In the weeks it took to arrive from the time of ordering I received a bonus from work so I decided to upgrade and bought a 21" Iiyama Vision Master Pro. On arrival, the Samsung monitor was unpacked to test that it was working, then packed away to be kept as a backup. It's stayed in my loft until today, when I had to move it to get something from behind the box. I forgot how heavy these things were - I'm not sure I'll be able to lift it back up :D

Try lifting 30x 27” CRTs. I remember taking a delivery of them for classrooms. They were being installed in media suites that taught digital photography.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom