What retro things have you done today?

Thats great! Any chance you documented the repair? So we can know what to do for the future?
I don't really document any of my repairs, normally its two capacitors that need changing. You get two in the repair kit I think I paid 6.99 for each kit from a seller on ebay.

Last edited:
Playing Gran Turismo 3 on the Steam Deck. How is it that a game from 22 years ago can be more fun and have more atmosphere than the 2023 iteration of Forza Motorsport?

The graphics still stand up today, the music is great and the way the career is structured is fun. You have to earn everything. There is no "here is a new Ferrari for coming third" like in Forza Horizon. The most important thing it doesn't have is all the dude bro nonsense Forza does.

The AI although dumb, puts up a good race too.

Recommended.

Playing Gran Turismo 3 on the Steam Deck. How is it that a game from 22 years ago can be more fun and have more atmosphere than the 2023 iteration of Forza Motorsport?

The graphics still stand up today, the music is great and the way the career is structured is fun. You have to earn everything. There is no "here is a new Ferrari for coming third" like in Forza Horizon. The most important thing it doesn't have is all the dude bro nonsense Forza does.

The AI although dumb, puts up a good race too.

Recommended.
Gran Turismo up to and including 6 (and Forza Motorsport up to 3/4) are games made for people who like driving and cars. FM7 and 8, GT7 and FH games are mainstream games aimed at everyone (with a thin veneer of teaching or introducing people to car culture) and as such as linear and structured lest someone who doesn't know about cars invests all their money in a dead end, get bored and not log onto the live service and spend money.

When I first played GT3 (My brother got GT4 so I was allowed to wipe his GT3 save) I knew the principles of FWD, RWD, 4WD. But I knew the specifics once I'd bought the cheapest viper, put all my money in power upgrades and then got some rather predicable results (and likewise with a prelude!). GT7 "teaches" you about it by 3-line text onscreen. I know which game made me love cars.

You might find that it be hard to sell without posting it. That is my experience from selling that kinda stuff on ebay otherwise it wont sell for what you want for it. Most of my retro PC's I got dirt cheap from collection only sales like 20 to 30 quid for those type of machines. Collection only sales don't get a lot of interest or sell the Voodoo card separately, you'll get a bit for that.

Thanks, I suspected that might be the best approach, splitting the Voodoo and other bits I can still use/resell more easily on their own and then list the PC on a free eBay weekend to see if there's any interest.

The Commodore Amiga 1200 is back out. The South West Amiga Group meet is in February, so I'm looking at what to take. There's lots to choose from including demonstrating: internet access, an Iomega Parallel Zip drive, gen locking, 15 khz VGA monitor, a Gotek on DF1.

I had bought Amiga OS 3.2 and looking to install, but, I have everything I need and it's all working in its current guise, so am putting it on hold for now.

Fixed up the IDE to SATA adaptor for my original Xbox hard drive. Still a couple of software issues to resolve but it's great having it up and running again.

Played a bit of Star Wars on this thing.

uYu2n63.png

Played a bit of Bubble Bobble to beat my high score.

Last edited:
Played Power Striker / Aleste (Master System) for the first time and i picked up Onimusha remaster on the ps store, loved it on ps2 so looking forward to doing it again

Talking of N64 I recently dug mine out but I am struggling big time with migraines using it. I’ve tried it on two older TV’s using both composite / scart, but something about it just seems to be wrecking my brain.

Might be a combination of low resolution and low frame rate. I’m not sure, but my 38 year old brain apparently can’t handle it like I could when I was 12. Sad times.

Back
Top Bottom