What retro things have you done today?

I've been tinkering with some old 486 computers plus a very old desk lamp that seems to have a metal toggle switch that is rated for 12 volts but is being used on 240 volts so somebody at some point has replaced the toggle switch for a 12 volt one... I wonder if this matters or whether it would be better to hunt down a period correct 240 volt toggle switch?

Probably be safer to look for a 240 volt toggle switch... what are your opinions on this?

Last edited:
I've been tinkering with some old 486 computers plus a very old desk lamp that seems to have a metal toggle switch that is rated for 12 volts but is being used on 240 volts so somebody at some point has replaced the toggle switch for a 12 volt one... I wonder if this matters or whether it would be better to hunt down a period correct 240 volt toggle switch?

Probably be safer to look for a 240 volt toggle switch... what are your opinions on this?

It would be safer to get a 240V rated switch. you don't want it getting fused closed.

Look what happened on Apollo 13.

It would be safer to get a 240V rated switch. you don't want it getting fused closed.

Look what happened on Apollo 13.
That is true... I was thinking that if its a heavy duty toggle switch it might have been ok as the lamp isn't going to be pulling much current if using an LED bulb. A 240 volt shock going up my arm wouldn't be good, mind you I have earthed it when I replaced the old tatty 2 core cord for a new 3 core braided cable I got on ebay. I can't find any suitable 240 volt toggle switches tho, a lot of them appear to be quite bulky which wont offer much clearance at the base of the lamp once its fitted.

I've just been browsing ebay looking for another retro project PC. There doesn't seem too be much at all. I'm so glad I got all my retro PC's when I did. Prices have got ridiculous now. I do really fancy an old early 90s small sized CRT monitor but I don't think I'll be wanting to pay too much tho.

I've got quite a few old 90s PC's but all need re-capping... I probably should start looking for a decent de-soldering gun and some replacement capacitors. I have at least 10 old motherboards all needing it and then I can put some of the old 90s PC cases I have to use and build some more 90s PC's I could also do with a zip drive and a couple of extra 5.25 inch floppy drives. I also need to find a 486 processor for another computer I have... I'm sure I will eventually find what I need for a decent price.

I'm surprised that China hasn't caught on to the retro PC market yet. I could just see them producing some really nice ISA Slot boards/cards and stuff for cheap.

Last edited:
I've just been browsing ebay looking for another retro project PC. There doesn't seem too be much at all. I'm so glad I got all my retro PC's when I did. Prices have got ridiculous now. I do really fancy an old early 90s small sized CRT monitor but I don't think I'll be wanting to pay too much tho.

I've got quite a few old 90s PC's but all need re-capping... I probably should start looking for a decent de-soldering gun and some replacement capacitors. I have at least 10 old motherboards all needing it and then I can put some of the old 90s PC cases I have to use and build some more 90s PC's I could also do with a zip drive and a couple of extra 5.25 inch floppy drives. I also need to find a 486 processor for another computer I have... I'm sure I will eventually find what I need for a decent price.

I'm surprised that China hasn't caught on to the retro PC market yet. I could just see them producing some really nice ISA Slot boards/cards and stuff for cheap.

Somewhere in the house is..

17" CRT Monitor
PIII 450mhz
A Beige colour Tiny Computer (Tiny, being the brand, like Gateway)
I think it has a basic nVidia card...i forgot what it was
CD-R drive
250mb Zip drive

In my drawer there is an AIT 9700 Pro too, I know where that is.

I have at least one Zip drive and a bunch of disks but last time I tried it I failed to get it to work? I suspected it was because the PC/OS was too new, is there a good idiots guide as to what OS supports them these days? Of course it could be it's suffering from that click of death or whatever it was caused. If that's the case is there a user repair option or just bin it?

I have at least one Zip drive and a bunch of disks but last time I tried it I failed to get it to work? I suspected it was because the PC/OS was too new, is there a good idiots guide as to what OS supports them these days? Of course it could be it's suffering from that click of death or whatever it was caused. If that's the case is there a user repair option or just bin it?

I have had my Zip drive working from Windows 98, XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 with no issues.

Oh, that does make it sound that my drive is dead then? Was that natively or did you install some drivers?
Sometimes old drives in general need a bit of TLC, taking apart rails cleaning with some IPA on a cotton swab and lubricating and heads cleaned. I've had success with bringing back dead optical drives and 3.5 inch floppy drives back to life. Also any old belts will need replacing.

Last edited:
I wish they made a Minidisc drive for computers. I think Minidisc is fantastic and was a brilliant invention. I still use Minidisc to this day.

I wish they made a Minidisc drive for computers. I think Minidisc is fantastic and was a brilliant invention. I still use Minidisc to this day.
They did..

I jumped onto the Minidisc bus with a portable unit, a hifi add-on and a car player. I can see the appeal.

I received my Atari Jaguar and SNES at a reasonable cost from a mate. And then gone for broke with an SD card drive for both and I treated them to Scart leads too.
Is the Jaguar one the Game Drive by Retro HQ? I've not looked in a while so wasn't sure if there's an alternative out there now.

Back
Top Bottom