What retro things have you done today?

The PSUs in the Shuttles are usually 200-250W but have strong rails, certainly better than the average 300-400W PSU of the time. I ran an X1950PRO in my S478 shuttle back in the day with no issues at all.

My impulse motherboard purchase arrived today. Regretting it already as I've since learned that the PCI-E slot is limited to 2133Mb/s (same as the AGPx8) but it's also limited to 2Gb of RAM in both DDR or DDR2 configurations.

It arrived pretty much without any packaging at all and the SB Live sliding around on top. Posted in a AM4 B450 box without trying to hide it at all so surprised someone hadn't already "had a peek inside"!

K6B1aXYh.jpg

I forgot that it came with a CPU and cooler so I guess that's a bonus. It's a very low profile cooler that will work well in my ITX case (although I think the pins only work in 775 and my ITX motherboard is 1155)

Very viscous and hard to clean paste
Ok0U6gSh.jpg

But cleaned up nicely

cFSxEnLh.jpg

Now what to do wit it. Already got my AM2 project on the go :( Q6600 with DDR1 and a TNT2?

My impulse motherboard purchase arrived today. Regretting it already as I've since learned that the PCI-E slot is limited to 2133Mb/s (same as the AGPx8) but it's also limited to 2Gb of RAM in both DDR or DDR2 configurations.

It arrived pretty much without any packaging at all and the SB Live sliding around on top. Posted in a AM4 B450 box without trying to hide it at all so surprised someone hadn't already "had a peek inside"!

K6B1aXYh.jpg

I forgot that it came with a CPU and cooler so I guess that's a bonus. It's a very low profile cooler that will work well in my ITX case (although I think the pins only work in 775 and my ITX motherboard is 1155)

Now what to do wit it. Already got my AM2 project on the go :( Q6600 with DDR1 and a TNT2?

Always get a bit miffed when sellers don't pack things properly, complete lack of effort on their part. What CPU does it come with already?

Pentium dual core 5200. I've gone for a q6600 otherwise the alternative would be E7400. The SBL is a CT4830 (coincidentally I had an ATI4830 arrive yesterday!) And I'm tempted to try it out in a DOS PC to see if it's OPL emulation is any better than my Sb0100

Pentium dual core 5200. I've gone for a q6600 otherwise the alternative would be E7400. The SBL is a CT4830 (coincidentally I had an ATI4830 arrive yesterday!) And I'm tempted to try it out in a DOS PC to see if it's OPL emulation is any better than my Sb0100
I’d go with the fastest clocked C2D rather than a lower clocked Quad. For the software you’ll likely be running you want IPC and not thread count.

Sorted. :)

This is my issue im having with my VLB VGA. Its putting dots in random places. This installation screen is the worst case I have seen. Doesnt happen at 24bit but does at 16 and 256 colour.

The dots arent always white but are almost always near text.

Im not sure if its the card, the drivers or the LCD screen (The screen is fine but the older card might expect a crt...?)

I'm half tempted to get a Samsung 226BW to go with the Shuttle build, did have a lot of love for that monitor 15 years ago. Think they all suffered from cap death though.

Or is 4:3 the way to go?
You are on the cusp really between 16:10 (either 1680x1050 or 1920x1200) and 5:4 (1280x1024). I’ve actually got a working 226BW that I might pair with this shuttle, or perhaps one of my 5:4 Dell 19” screens.

I guess it depends on what you want to play on it, if you are mainly going to play stuff that’s not widescreen native or at least widescreen patched then 5:4 is where it’s at!

It's mainly going to be Lucasarts games, so probably 16:10 isn't the way to go. Much as I'd like to own one of those again. May see if I can get both for reasonable money. Had a 17" 5:4 Samsung before the 226BW, might see if I can track that down for best of both.

I'm half tempted to get a Samsung 226BW to go with the Shuttle build, did have a lot of love for that monitor 15 years ago. Think they all suffered from cap death though.

Or is 4:3 the way to go?

Had that monitor for years! Bought in 2007 or so, only changed it last year. Gave it to a family friend to use, nothing wrong with it though. I set it to about 25% brightness early on (most default settings on monitors are far too bright for me), so maybe that's why I never had any problems with caps on it. Only downside is no options for scaling, so you'd have to enforce aspect ratio via your graphics card control panel for older games.

Just threw this together this morning as i'm going to have a weekend of Midi. Decided to put together a Pentium III machine in my empty ATCS 201 Case. It's a Asus P2B Motherboard with a 1ghz Coppermine (100fsb) on a MSI Master Sloket. 256mb Crucial Ram and Asus V8170 Pro (Geforce 4 MX460).

0ZtyelTl.jpg.png
RYoa0oDl.jpg.png

The plan is for this to host these

bKZ5bg9l.jpg

Starting with the PCI card top right going clockwise

Yamaha Waveforce WF-192XG - This is actually going to do Soft XG synth in Windows and with the extended 4mb bank utilising Power YMF Software. I'm also going to have a crack at getting the OPL core going in DOS. I have the SB-Link cable and this board has the header so will be interesting to see how it fairs and compatibility with games.

Turtle Beach Malibu 64 - I think this was one of the last ISA sound cards to be released. A real nice high end ISA card for Digital out via S/PDIF and Kurzweil Synth with 4MB patch set which sounds really good

Creative Labs Awe64 Gold - No real explanation about this one, EMU 8000 synth, Serdaco SIMMConn add-on module for 32mb 72pin Simm (28mb usable). This can be used to load .sf2 soundbanks in windows.

Terratec EWS64 XL - A really beast of a card and really versatile. Card is occupied with the Dream SAM9407 synthesizer chip with 2mb onboard ram, with the ability to install 64mb Simm. This has 32mb installed. This card is also accompanied with a breakout drive (similar to the livedrive) but has a wavetable connector which can host a wavetable board. I will populate this with a Yamaha DB50XG. Card occupies 2 midi ports for effectively 2 separate synths (onboard/WT Header). Another great feature with the card is the ability to load soundfonts in DOS. This card uses the .94b soundfont and there are not many available unfortunately. This card is able to get to sounding pretty close to a Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 using the gssbk320.94b soundbank.

I think the most challenging part of all this is getting them all to co-operate with each other in regards to resources. These cards do allow certain parts of the cards not to be initialised (SB functionality etc) so hopefully that should help.

Looking forward to listing to passport.mid using the different cards :D:D:D:p

Had that monitor for years! Bought in 2007 or so, only changed it last year. Gave it to a family friend to use, nothing wrong with it though. I set it to about 25% brightness early on (most default settings on monitors are far too bright for me), so maybe that's why I never had any problems with caps on it. Only downside is no options for scaling, so you'd have to enforce aspect ratio via your graphics card control panel for older games.

Mine kept going as well, as did my mates. Think we did the same, reduced the retina scorching factory brightness!

That reminds me, I had a 1680x1050 Belinea with (poor) built-in speakers that I used with my Shuttle back in the day. Looks similar to the 2225 S1W.

Belinea, there's a blast from the past.

ATC-201 Goodness! https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33570440/

I think we're all ATCS fans here:

ATCS-Cases.png

Back
Top Bottom