What retro things have you done today?

Never managed to obtain an ATCS case, but always wanted one. Think by the time I had cash spare I couldn't find the one I wanted (Black Widow). They still look as smart as ever!

Never managed to obtain an ATCS case, but always wanted one. Think by the time I had cash spare I couldn't find the one I wanted (Black Widow). They still look as smart as ever!

Got one in the loft... :D

There's a couple of other ATCs on eBay at the moment too:

CM-200: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coolerma...060431?hash=item4b7a19d4cf:g:d0UAAOSw3rleWmGJ

Wavemaster: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cooler-M...448815?hash=item46ae44b3ef:g:3lwAAOSw9h5esGsh

This is interesting and a pretty rare find, looks like it might come with free innards too (wants to at that price):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-...582179?hash=item3b352363a3:g:sRsAAOSwj-BdB4sN

Edit - Looks like an Asus K8V-SE, Gainward Ti4200, Eye-T 550W PSU

Last edited:
So as alluded to in a previous post about the shuttle and already having an XP project underway, here's my Sun Ultra 40 workstation. Originally I bought it (for a pittance, they seem to have gone up in value over the last few years) to be a donor case for one of my Dual PIII rigs as I figured the gigantic mesh front panel would be excellent for a radiator in a watercooled build, however when it arrived it was too nice to ruin, so it sat in the loft waiting for me to get around to. Today was the day it came down from the dark and into the light. It'll be getting SLI'd GTX 480s alongside its dual Opteron 280s and 8GB of ECC DDR. This thing is a weapon in more ways than one, built like a tank, weighs around 8.5 metric ****tonnes and has a PSU with incredibly strong rails (even the 3.3v rail will do 30A! the 5v rail 33A, alongside its 4 12V rails at 17A a piece).

To get an idea of how much this weighs, it came on a pallet!

sun-ultra40-01.jpg

sun-ultra40-02.jpg

sun-ultra40-03.jpg

sun-ultra40-04.jpg

sun-ultra40-05.jpg

sun-ultra40-06.jpg

sun-ultra40-07.jpg

sun-ultra40-08.jpg

Last edited:
I love old Sun hardware, before Oracle ruined them. Cut my Unix teeth on Solaris, Sparc stations on SunOS 2.5 then in Ultras and Blade 150s at home for mail servers and the like. Sun Fire 280Rs and V880s etc in the Data Centre. Mostly DB servers or heavy Java app servers etc.

That thing is an absolute lunker, would have cost about as much as a small country's GDP new!

So, the service manual for this Sun Ultra 40 is as clear as mud. I was scouring eBay for ECC Registered PC3200 DDR as I don’t have any additional sticks for this thing and I want to max it.

The service manual states:
  • Eight PC3200 DIMM slots
Sure 8 slots, thats correct.
  • 512 MB, 1 GB, or 2 GB registered ECC modules supported
Ok so a max of 2GB per stick, simple enough. 2x8 is 16GB, not too shabby.
  • Up to 32 GB ECC memory
32GB max... erm. Confused. Do I blutac in an additional 8 sticks? Does it actually take 4GB modules? Does it really only support 16GB and the manual is wrong?

:confused:

I've had no luck this weekend with my retro builds! So many issues with the AM2 build just getting an OS installed and and now my Windows 7 PC (set up to play through Halo 2) and software (e.g. display drivers) needing VCredist which needs Service Pack 1 which needs the Windows Update to be functioning which needs various updated to be applied manually otherwise WU will just say searching forever which needs downloading through a browser which barely functions because the build in certificates in Windows 7 are not up to date / sufficient in some way so I get privacy errors everywhere (which is fixed through an Windows Update update).

Now my HDD drive is doing this:

ELzgEMFl.jpg

and I have a process (I'm just sitting on the desktop doing nothing) doing this

AsshnoXl.jpg

I disabled a bunch of Windows start up processes like Security Essentials and Windows Card Space and it's stopped. Not ideal but this PC doesn't really go on line or anything...

@almoststew1990 Think I'd be starting from scratch, but use the following tool once reinstalled as it'll save a lot of hassle: https://download.wsusoffline.net/

You'll need the ESR release as the latest drops support for W7. You also need to make sure automatic updates are turned off before you use it! Gets around all the issues related to Windows Update not working/taking forever. As I recall you run update generator first (pulls all the files you need), then you can install the lot in one go using update installer in the client folder afterwards.

Fair enough, but use that tool for updating anyway. As you've discovered it's been a nightmare to use WU on W7 for some time now, and this will bypass that completely.

Just got a 256mb 9600pro for £10.

Looks like a 2003 build is happening.

This monstrosity will be perfect for it :)
Is that to go with yesterday’s motherboard?

I’ve got an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and 9800GT on the way for this new Shuttle. 16GB of RAM on the way for the Sun Ultra 40, and waterblocks on they way for my dual P3 machine!

Back
Top Bottom