What retro things have you done today?

Is that to go with yesterday’s motherboard?

I’ve got an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and 9800GT on the way for this new Shuttle. 16GB of RAM on the way for the Sun Ultra 40, and waterblocks on they way for my dual P3 machine!
Yes mate. Out of interest I saw that motherboards earliest bios was 2003. And the 9600pro was also from 2003 so I thought I would go for a 2003 build :)

2003/4 was the first time I built my own PC so its a nice point of history for me to remember.

I am not 100% certain. But abit nf7-s really sticks in my head as the motherboard that I had. I remember the cpu was a 2400+ that flat out did not work at that speed and had to be run at 1800+ (I was too shy to return it!). Alongside a geforce 4 mx.

The seller of the 9600pro was actually local and dropped it off himself so that was a bonus.

Managed to find a side panel for my lian li PC7

Plans to build the PC I couldnt afford. I still have a Athlon XP3200 and 586 133projects to complete.

P4 3.2GHz 478 with Zalman flower cooler
Asus P4P deluxe
2gb dual channel Corsair XMS pro with leds
2x 250gb IDE in RAID
Radeon 9700 PRO 128MB AGP
Enermax 701 SLi PSU
Lian Li PC7
PIoneer DVDROM
Lite on 48x CDRW
Sony floppy

I'd like to put on Windows 98 but it’s prob going to be a dual boot pc.

New issues with the Sun Ultra 40. I cannot get it to boot from any XP installation media (not tried anything other than XP media so far). CD in the built-in IDE drive? Not even seen as a bootable volume. CD in a USB CD-ROM drive (BIOS sees the device as a bootable option), but machine immediately comes back with “No Operating System found” try removing other disks etc. Bootable USB flash drive, “No Operating System Found” again. Hell I’ve even tried booting from PXE from a WDS server and I don’t receive a boot filename (other VMs and PCs do).

I guess it just REALLY doesn’t want an OS on it.

Was playing on Conquest frontier wars for quite a while last night and my PC froze which triggered me a bit too much. Dialed back the voodoo to 178mhz so hopefully it wont happen again.

Does anyone know what sort of AMPs I need to be looking for on the 5v rail for the athlon system? I have a really strong one that is currently powering my 1ghz athlon system but need another one for the next system. I still actually have my original PSU from 2004 but I dont fancy seeing if it still works :D

The black AM2 Shuttle (SK22G2 V2) has arrived. It's got a superb(ly rubbish) Sempron 3200+ in it, as well as a whopping(ly small) 512MB of PC2-4200. The 80GB IDE drive still has a locked down gambling machine install of XP on it!

The black AM2 Shuttle (SK22G2 V2) has arrived. It's got a superb(ly rubbish) Sempron 3200+ in it, as well as a whopping(ly small) 512MB of PC2-4200. The 80GB IDE drive still has a locked down gambling machine install of XP on it!

Ah, I was wondering what chip was going to be in there. Ick.

What are you thinking to replace it with? FX?

Edit - Just seen "Athlon 64 X2 6000+" :D

Ah, I was wondering what chip was going to be in there. Ick.

What are you thinking to replace it with? FX?

Edit - Just seen "Athlon 64 X2 6000+" :D
Yeah, FX chips are all AM3 are they not? And Phenoms are AM2+ at a minimum? I’ve got both an FX-6300 and a Phenom II 720 BE here in other machines I guess I could try.

In related news, this Shuttle simply will not POST with my Corsair Dominator PC2-8500, so I’ll need some more DDR2!

Oh I didn't realise, I figured as Socket 939 had FX chips then AM2 did as well. Just picked up a 5000+ myself, reasonably priced at just over a tenner.

Ah don't say they're going to be fussy on RAM, got some XMS2 on the way...

Oh I didn't realise, I figured as Socket 939 had FX chips then AM2 did as well. Just picked up a 5000+ myself, reasonably priced at just over a tenner.

Ah don't say they're going to be fussy on RAM, got some XMS2 on the way...
That makes my £11.17 (plus £5.27 postage from Germany) 6000+ seem expensive! I’d also not worry about the RAM as this Dominator stuff has always been picky/problematic since I originally bought it way back in 2007. I just thought I’d give it a go before resigning myself to buying RAM.

So far I’m testing it with an AMD FirePro v4900, but I’m going to need either a molex to PCIe 6-pin or SATA to 6-pin to power the 9800GT that’s en-route.

That makes my £11.17 (plus £5.27 postage from Germany) 6000+ seem expensive! I’d also not worry about the RAM as this Dominator stuff has always been picky/problematic since I originally bought it way back in 2007. I just thought I’d give it a go before resigning myself to buying RAM.

So far I’m testing it with an AMD FirePro v4900, but I’m going to need either a molex to PCIe 6-pin or SATA to 6-pin to power the 9800GT that’s en-route.

Not too far off, I think you paid another tree fiddy for another 1000 "AMD speed points" :D

Ah OK, hopefully so. I did check the CPU/RAM compatibility list and it's pretty short, guess they didn't test a whole lot back in those days.

Molex to 6 pin over SATA to 6 pin if my brief stint in alt-coin mining taught me anything, SATA to 6 pins are lethal!

Back
Top Bottom