What retro things have you done today?

the slidey ones (like in LGRs Making a 486 video) because I have a hole in the motherboard but not the PC case. They don't seem to exist on eBay UK but I can get some from the US for about £12.

40 minutes left on that rusty crate load of what look like IBM 5150s and 286 machines... Still at £56.

Last edited:
the slidey ones (like in LGRs Making a 486 video) because I have a hole in the motherboard but not the PC case. They don't seem to exist on eBay UK but I can get some from the US for about £12.

40 minutes left on that rusty crate load of what look like IBM 5150s and 286 machines... Still at £56.

I have had a few looks at it and got to think that they are going to be shot to bits inside. Look way past saving!

I wonder what the reserve is

I can probably 3dprint some and send you a couple. Assuming you can find a 3d Model of something useful?

Thanks for the offer, I'll have a look around to see if I can find a model. Does it work from AutoCAD files because I could make one probably. Is the 3D print material a bit elastic so a pin will squish through the motherboard hole and then expand out again?

Thanks for the offer, I'll have a look around to see if I can find a model. Does it work from AutoCAD files because I could make one probably. Is the 3D print material a bit elastic so a pin will squish through the motherboard hole and then expand out again?
Yes and Yes. The material has quite a bit of elasticity and yes I can work with AutoCAD files (or an export as .OBJ, .STL or .DAE).

I do wonder what cards are inside though? Any RAM cards or video cards that might be with a look?
Some of those cards have RTCs and batteries on. I could look past the rust but I think the real shocks are going to be inside!

Take a look at retrospector78 on youtube if you have not seen him already. Does a lot of IBM stuff and hes one of the best at showing component level repairs I have seen.

Shuttle turned up today, looks like it's been through the wringer a bit. Totally different unit from the pic (big ugly sticker on the front, different DVD drive, case screw lugs bashed around, scratched up and plastic front missing chunks. Still for 30 quid...!)

I'll strip it down and give it a clean later. Chip, RAM and GPU (thanks @LewisRaz!) should be here around the weekend.

Unsold at £122. I wonder what the reserve was and how much backroom "bidding" will go down!
Its an odd one,, it could be valuable if someone with the ways and means gets it. But its pickup only and the pics are terrible.
If they really think its worth a lot more then invest in some better pictures and of the insides!

Just seen the relisting has "make offer"

@randal you are welcome mate hope it arrives OK.

I want to see some pics of the finished build :)

Thanks very much!

Does anyone here use FreeDOS instead of MS-DOS? I have my VIA ITX board saying "build me ;)" but one of it's limiting factors is that it doesn't have a floppy header, so no MS-DOS install. I was hoping that FreeDOS would install from USB stick onto C: ?

Nevermind there is literally a link to a USB installer on teh download page...

Last edited:
@randal Decided it was easier to just put it on my webserver: https://www.paradigital.net/ocuk/retrostuff/shuttle-foot.zip. You'll want to set it to 22mm wide rather than the 38mm it's at now before you slice it.

So if your Shuttle is different to the pics, what did you get? Mine is exactly as per the pics (probably is the one from the pics).

Nice one, thank you. :) I'll get that tee'd up tonight.

It's the same model, just doesn't look as good as the one pictured. Case has taken a beating, the beading round the end of the front panel is all chipped and missing chunks and the rear left screw point for the case is bashed in. Looks like it's taken a drop or two over the years. Like I said, it's 30 quid so not too fussed but it's not as clean looking as the auction pic.

I can assure you that mine is a bit beaten up also. The plastic front panel I’m going to fix up by filling, sanding and re-painting with some gloss black spray paint.

One of my rear thumbscrews is also punted inwards. Nothing a pair of mole grips won’t sort!

Back
Top Bottom