What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Swapped over my CD drive and still although the CDs work straight away now I still got a hard lock once I tried to launch a game :(

Looking at the PSU now. (Or perhaps the USB mouse, it has given me crap before)

Associate
Swapped over my CD drive and still although the CDs work straight away now I still got a hard lock once I tried to launch a game :(

Looking at the PSU now. (Or perhaps the USB mouse, it has given me crap before)
Sometimes faulty ram can cause issues. I did a retro build not long ago where I thought my hard drive was bad and every hard drive I tried on it and it turned out to be faulty ram.

What OS are you using? if its Windows 95 / 98 its better to use a PS/2 mouse.

Associate
I picked up a dumped a NEC Pentium 4 PC, motherboard totally shot and power supply leaking caps. PC case in very good condition. I tested the motherboard with a different PSU but no life. I have a spare socket 370 board and Pentium III 800 MHz processor to chuck in there and seeing that the PSU is shot as well I've got another to replace it with but got to change the connector on the PSU to make it compatible with the socket 370 board. I need to get more heat shrink and I'm low on solder. I feel another Windows 98 machine coming on. The case is beautiful white and blue with a working floppy and white DVD combo drive.

Soldato
bought a DVI to HDMI cable to go from PC to Monitor, description ssys it works this way around, but nothing, sending back... edit does work, pc PC is stuck in a reboot cycle. this is the i7 920 in the blue case

Last edited:
Associate
I had some free time this morning so my plan was to raid a couple CEX stores for cheap goodies. I got some nice DELL 8GB USB drives plus a 16GB TOSHIBA one. A couple of 80GB hard drives for 50p each which always come in handy for those Windows 98 builds. I was going to do another CEX store but I ran out of time and had to go to work. I might get some time tomorrow to look for more hardware bits for more retro PC builds.

Soldato
i7 920 pc installed, its got windows 10 for now might add a second drive for XP

The other day I had my i7 860 up and running at 3.8GHz, playing Horizon Zero Dawn and CP77 on a 2070 Super. It's crazy that the same PC can be an excellent XP PC with proper chipset support using IDE devices and a PCI SB Audigy and swapping out the 2070S for my old GF780.

Associate
I wont mention the site on here but I downloaded Need For Speed - Hot pursuit 2 with serial key and I burned the ISO to CD because it was to much work to get it to run from USB but I still can't play it because the game crashes before it even starts. It seems to be the case with a lot of retro downloadable games the majority are a waste of time for example I could download 100 retro games and only a handful of them will actually work.

I'll just have to buy this game I think its only a couple pound on the bay.

Soldato
I went and picked up a 440BX based system near Edinburgh, finally got a chance to look at it last night.

An ASUS p2b with a 300A celeron overclocked to 450Mhz... which is nice. I quite like this board tho, so might do the bios and see what slot PIII's i have kicking about.

Ensoniq 1370 AudioPCI and a Diamond SpeedStar A50, neither of which I had already, so thats kinda cool too.

Associate
Been sorting through some old PC games so thought it's time to take some pictures.
6-PC-Games0.jpg

6-PC-Games1.jpg

6-PC-Games2.jpg

6-PC-Games3.jpg

6-PC-Games4.jpg

Associate
Here are 3 classic games that I enjoyed a lot as a kid, and Settlers might actually be my most played game when combining my Amiga and PC gaming sessions together.
3-PC-Games0.jpg

3-PC-Games1.jpg

3-PC-Games2.jpg

3-PC-Games3.jpg

3-PC-Games4.jpg

3-PC-Games5.jpg

3-PC-Games6.jpg
Colonization - still one of my favourite games of all time!
Colonization is a great game and Sim City I rate high as well, including the sequel SC 2000 as graphically it was a big improvement over the first one.

Associate
I went and picked up a 440BX based system near Edinburgh, finally got a chance to look at it last night.

An ASUS p2b with a 300A celeron overclocked to 450Mhz... which is nice. I quite like this board tho, so might do the bios and see what slot PIII's i have kicking about.

Ensoniq 1370 AudioPCI and a Diamond SpeedStar A50, neither of which I had already, so thats kinda cool too.
I always was fascinated by the Celeron 300A, reading about it in magazines when I was a kid about how it overclocks. Me, still with a Pentium 133 I was dreaming about that one. I've got a couple of them, but I never build a system. When I'll have time I will build a system around it.

Soldato
I always was fascinated by the Celeron 300A, reading about it in magazines when I was a kid about how it overclocks. Me, still with a Pentium 133 I was dreaming about that one. I've got a couple of them, but I never build a system. When I'll have time I will build a system around it.

Yeah I always thoguth it was a funny move, gimping the Celerons by removing the cache then creating the 300A which has a nice fast cache... albeit not the largest :)

Back
Top Bottom