What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Loving that Mesh case!

Spec wise that's a great little set up too :)

A bit of me wants to retire the old shuttle P3 machine I have and build a proper tower as it's just so limited cooling, GPU space and well, anything! Flexibility wise
You got a Shuttle P3 unit? As in the small form factor size? :D I would like to see a picture of that, Shuttle units are my weak spot haha

Soldato
You got a Shuttle P3 unit? As in the small form factor size? :D I would like to see a picture of that, Shuttle units are my weak spot haha
Yeah it's an SV24, socket 370. We did a clearout at offices for a server room rebuild and someone found it behind a server rack lol, was apparently being used as a CCTV box for a while but was decommissioned and lobbed in the corner. Was about to get thrown in the skip and I dived in and saved it lol. put in a 933mhz cpu, 256mb or 512mb of PC133 i want to say and an FX5200 PCI. Quite a potent little box but man is it noisy!

Believe it's the first ever Shuttle mini PC design?

Last edited:
Soldato
can of worms enabled.....looks like i might be building a 478 box

Just won this on a best offer for £9 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325317463010
Hopefully it works when it arrives, but the caps look good and it's in good nick and in the box which was cool :)

So....anyone got any 478 CPU's or heatsinks they don't want :p :p

Appears i have a thing for Abit boards, that's now an AW9D-Max, Nf7 V2.0 and SG-72 in my ownership

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah it's an SV24, socket 370. We did a clearout at offices for a server room rebuild and someone found it behind a server rack lol, was apparently being used as a CCTV box for a while but was decommissioned and lobbed in the corner. Was about to get thrown in the skip and I dived in and saved it lol. put in a 933mhz cpu, 256mb or 512mb of PC133 i want to say and an FX5200 PCI. Quite a potent little box but man is it noisy!

Believe it's the first ever Shuttle mini PC design?
Wow! Amazing :D
If you fancy for a swap, let me know what you need. I got S478 heatsinks, motherboards, P4 at 3.2Ghz, you name it :D
I've got Shuttle units with P4, Core2Duo, AM2 too

Last edited:
Soldato
Slot 1 system is being a pain again.
Flat out refusing most of my ram and not seeing the correct amount if there is more than 1 stick (even matched ones)
Now it also just shows a flashing cursor when loading some dos programs, even in dos mode. Not sure if the GF4 is doing that but im considering going overkill build for 98se now!

Soldato
After the succesful recap of the slot 1 board I set about building a new "main" rig that will cover everything I really play (late dos, early windows).

Specs:
P3 550mhz.
128mb ram
Diamond Viper V550(Riva TNT). Originally a TNT2 but the card is faulty.
Aureal vortex 2
50gb HDD.
Windows 98se.
Not super impressed by the midi on the vortex2 but am looking to buy a dreamblaster x2 one day so that should sort that.
just needs some stickers...

Associate
After the succesful recap of the slot 1 board I set about building a new "main" rig that will cover everything I really play (late dos, early windows).

Specs:
P3 550mhz.
128mb ram
Diamond Viper V550(Riva TNT). Originally a TNT2 but the card is faulty.
Aureal vortex 2
50gb HDD.
Windows 98se.
Not super impressed by the midi on the vortex2 but am looking to buy a dreamblaster x2 one day so that should sort that.
Soooo jealous! :D

That is the Mesh case I had, purchased in 2000, I had the SoundBlaster Live Drive II faceplate. I think it was GeForce GTS and AMD 800.

Love to pick up one of these again (if you are ever selling let me know!)

Soldato
Soooo jealous! :D

That is the Mesh case I had, purchased in 2000, I had the SoundBlaster Live Drive II faceplate. I think it was GeForce GTS and AMD 800.

Love to pick up one of these again (if you are ever selling let me know!)
Its an absolute CHONK. Even empty it weighs more than my modern PC I reckon.
It originally had an AMD athlon 1000 IIRC. Has a windows ME license on the back.

Managed to get my slot 1 working as expected again. The GF4 was causing the DOS problems...

Played startopia for 30mins.. Love that game

Soldato
Also.....the Xion lives!

Needs a good clean but it's in REALLY good condition

Turns out the horrendous PSU was toast. So that is where the 478 will be going now for some real nostalgia once I get the AM3 board and FX chip from it

Last edited:
Associate
When I cleaned out the garage this past week, I sorted all of the vintage and "future vintage" video cards out in the tool box drawers. There are 15 in total to test and play with over the holidays in the new Socket 939 test bench. #NerdOut

Associate
Today I carried out a full Re-Cap of my Iwill SS7 Motherboard. Some of the caps were buldging and even though the board works, i want this board to be in its best condition.

Recapped with Panasonic caps. De-Soldering Gun Makes easy work of removing them! Thankfully the board worked after the operations :cry:

Before
dCWIZuMh.jpg
4LcovvNh.jpg

After
pc8dXLvh.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Today I carried out a full Re-Cap of my Iwill SS7 Motherboard. Some of the caps were buldging and even though the board works, i want this board to be in its best condition.

Recapped with Panasonic caps. De-Soldering Gun Makes easy work of removing them! Thankfully the board worked after the operations :cry:

Which desoldering gun do you have? Seems to be a lot on the market and I'm looking at a stack of boards and my Christmas list :)

Permabanned
When replacing bulging caps, make sure you thoroughly clean the PCB where the caps were sitting and around the general area. Use white vinegar and finish with isopropyl alcohol. Electrolyte may have leaked, even if the cap hasn't popped at the top and it's not visible. A lot of people have still ended up with damaged traces several years after capacitor replacement because they failed to properly neutralise the area.

Soldato
When replacing bulging caps, make sure you thoroughly clean the PCB where the caps were sitting and around the general area. Use white vinegar and finish with isopropyl alcohol. Electrolyte may have leaked, even if the cap hasn't popped at the top and it's not visible. A lot of people have still ended up with damaged traces several years after capacitor replacement because they failed to properly neutralise the area.
I usually have to clean up like that afterwards anyway because of the mess I made soldering :)

Back
Top Bottom