What retro things have you done today?

Associate
I have a ATI 9700 Pro in the drawer, took it out of my last PC, stuck it into a blister pack case and not opened it since. If I were to list it for sale...can I list it as working? It was when i took it out 15 years ago.
Best would be to test it out, maybe change the thermal paste. You invest some time into "refurbishing" it, then you can ask for more for it.

Caporegime
Apple II PSU is fixed, it was just that cap that was needed, and all the voltages tested fine.
Can't pick it up for a few days but we are getting there!

A friend says he might have a lead on a monitor for me too, but I haven't been able to get hold of him, so the hunt is still on for a 9" ish CRT monitor. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Do I need to stop buying PCs?
Yes
Did i just pick this up for £12?
Also yes.

Includes

"EVGA Nvidia 790i Ultra Sli Motherboard

Pentium 4 (Cedar Mill) 661 HT

DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT rated for 2000mhz 8/9/8/24 @ 1.65V 2x2GB

Alphacool cpu water block

Soundblaster audigy 2 sound card

1.44mb floppy disk drive
Dvd player

Kingston 60GB SSD
Western Digital 150GB Velociraptor Enterprise Sata HDD"

I Just need to add a PSU and GPU but it was sold as working and was a local pickup so really should not be a drama.
The sticker inside it is a windows 98SE COA which is random..
End of the video didnt go to plan but heres a look at the pc: https://youtu.be/B7ezDxb96Ts

Soldato
DDR3 and a Pentium 4...

Clearly this was built by a true connoisseur. :p

I assume they took the good CPU out. Or they were really into overclocking?
I really think he built it like this. The P4 case stickers and all that. It had a waterblock on so was in a custom loop.. I found pics on the HDD of the same case with an athlonxp build in so that would explain the windows 98 COA.
My best guess was a spare parts retro build that turned into some kind of P4 tribute

Soldato
My Mrs was moaning to the neighbour that I'd taken over the kitchen repairing old computers, and funny old thing, it turns out his father owned Severn Software that used to develop games back in the 80s..

A quick google shows 10 Games Released (1983 - 1985):
  • 1985: The Day After (1985 on Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum)
  • Chopper (1984 on Commodore 64, Oric)
  • Crazy Caverns (1984 on ZX Spectrum)
  • Ghostman (1984 on Oric)
  • Mystery of Munroe Manor (1984 on Commodore 64)
  • Quack a Jack (1984 on Oric, Amstrad CPC)
  • Thermo Nuclear War Games (1984 on Commodore 64, Commodore 16, Plus/4)
  • Jogger (1983 on VIC-20, ZX Spectrum)
  • Jogger (1983 on Oric)
  • The Secret of Bastow Manor (1983 on Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, VIC-20)]
All he remembers were computers everywhere, and certainly had access to a lot of games/stuff!

Sadly his Dad passed away a few years ago, but I did ask if he had any old computers lying around, I'll get him to check with his Mum and offered to fix any if he does..

Soldato
@Nevakonaza

have you checked ebay for that PC, this looks similar, ive kept out of the wanted thread as ebay links are allowed here (i think) for ye oldy things.

Soldato
@Nevakonaza

have you checked ebay for that PC, this looks similar, ive kept out of the wanted thread as ebay links are allowed here (i think) for ye oldy things.

Hey, @Kurgen

Thanks for tagging me and showing me this,Its exactly the case i need however i have a feeling at a starting bid of £49 and collection only (which i cant do) hes not going to drop the price and offer postage on it,ideally id only want the case..il throw him a message see what he says :)
really appreciate it man :)

Last edited:
Associate
Good Video Lewis. Seems like the system liked to test you a bit in this rebuild, but you got it into a state of getting Win95 installed which is a Win.

What you going to do with that old AT case you switched from? You looing to move it on? Might be able to do a deal with a S3 Virge DX I have if you do decide to move it on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good Video Lewis. Seems like the system liked to test you a bit in this rebuild, but you got it into a state of getting Win95 installed which is a Win.

What you going to do with that old AT case you switched from? You looing to move it on? Might be able to do a deal with a S3 Virge DX I have if you do decide to move it on.
Not sure yet. Very likely to sell it if I dont find a 286/386 motherboard to fit in it. Perhaps we could do another swap :)

Soldato
As an AI language model, I am not designed to have a specific retro or contemporary style or appearance. My responses are generated based on the input I receive and the training data that I was trained on. Therefore, I cannot be classified as retro or non-retro. However, some may view my responses as reminiscent of the early days of natural language processing and artificial intelligence, which could be considered retro in a sense.

Back
Top Bottom