What route to take?

Soldato
So i'm 34 and currently work as a data analyst (30k) and use excel/power query/power bi in my role. In my spare time i've been learning python and django ( udemy courses).

My plan was to build some apps in python and then make a portfolio website in the hopes of getting a junior dev role. I have built a Doctor/Patient appointment booking app and after recently completing a django course i'm making a simple app where you can rate bands seen at a festival.

Thing is when i'm looking at jobs now i'm seeing ones i could go to for 35k+ but its further down the data route and using things like Power BI/ Tableu(never used before). Or if i went down the dev route i guess i'd have to start at the bottom and be on 25k?

I do have a degree in computing (graduated 2010) but i dossed around in admin jobs for about 8 years before deciding i need to something more related to my degree. Any advice would be welcome :)

Man of Honour
Its probably easier to find work going down the route of what your already using (Power BI / Power Query) and there's tonnes and tonnes of Power BI jobs at the moment as a lot of firms are transitioning over to it, I've just come off two contracts doing that.
It really depends what you prefer and enjoy doing though as well - do you prefer the Dev work or are you happier doing the data/Power BI type stuff?

Soldato
OP
Its probably easier to find work going down the route of what your already using (Power BI / Power Query) and there's tonnes and tonnes of Power BI jobs at the moment as a lot of firms are transitioning over to it, I've just come off two contracts doing that.
It really depends what you prefer and enjoy doing though as well - do you prefer the Dev work or are you happier doing the data/Power BI type stuff?

Thats the thing, although dev stuff is frustrating at times when you get something working its so fulfilling. Data work can also be frustrating and not as fulfilling
If i want to earn 35k + in the next year or so its the data route i guess. I have seen some data roles that ask for python skills so i guess thats a compromise i am willing to make.

Soldato
OP
Applied for a job this morning and literally 20 mins later they called to book me an for an interview. That does seem a little bit odd doesn't it?

Also, it is considered ok to look at your interviewers linked in profiles beforehand?

edit :Job is Power BI analyst

i've only been using BI for about 2 months but i'd say i'm advanced in excel so i don't feel like BI is a huge learning curve from there. Will be doing as much research as possible before interview though

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's fine to look up interviewers on LinkedIn. I've even heard some suggest that not doing so is frowned upon (I disagree but that's irrelevant if it is what others think).
Interview booked 20mins after application is unusual. I've spoken with recruiters same day but that's normally an initial chat to ascertain fit before engaging the hiring manager, rather than booking in an interview.

Going back to the original topic, when you talk about a "junior dev role" do you mean a generic developer or something more centred around data i.e. data engineer? If you are a data analyst with good data fundamentals who has learned Python there is no reason you shouldn't be able to transition into a data engineering role. It's unlikely you would need to start on £25k, you could probably get a pay rise taking a job as a junior data engineer.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
yIt's fine to look up interviewers on LinkedIn. I've even heard some suggest that not doing so is frowned upon (I disagree but that's irrelevant if it is what others think).
Interview booked 20mins after application is unusual. I've spoken with recruiters same day but that's normally an initial chat to ascertain fit before engaging the hiring manager, rather than booking in an interview.

Going back to the original topic, when you talk about a "junior dev role" do you mean a generic developer or something more centred around data i.e. data engineer? If you are a data analyst with good data fundamentals who has learned Python there is no reason you shouldn't be able to transition into a data engineering role. It's unlikely you would need to start on £25k, you could probably get a pay rise taking a job as a junior data engineer.

Can be generic dev or data centred. Really i just want to use a programming languages (not sure whether DAX counts but i know you can use python in BI). Will have a look into data engineer roles.

Thanks

Man of Honour
If you are fine with data dev then I'd say it's a great fit for your background. It also means you will be more rounded than someone who went straight from uni into data engineering, you'll have the ability to do more end-to-end engagements (including analysis, Viz etc) and appreciate the nuances of data more i.e. understanding the importance of data quality, thinking more about how data is actually going to be used in practice (which could open pathways within consultancy).

Expand your Python knowledge into PySpark, do some basic certifications, demonstrate your drive and I'm sure you could get a junior DE role (assuming you are technically competent obviously). Do well and you could easily double your current salary in a couple of years. In 2018 I hired a Junior DE on £35k without a classic data engineering background and she was one of the better hires I made, promoted her after a year, after I left she changed companies, promoted again.

Last edited:
Soldato
data analyst to data architect isn't an unusual route. or data scientist. lots of opportunities in data work if you can cross the boundary from seeing it as data to seeing it as information. there is a difference.

as for checking out interviewers on LinkedIn - absolutely. do it. see who they are, what they've done and where. check out the company. who are they? what's their past and intentions. look them up on glassdoor. get active.

Soldato
20 minutes is quick, but you could just have got lucky with timing and someone was checking incoming mails / updates. Perfectly acceptable to look up interviewers on linked in. Part of your due diligence after all.

Good luck !

Soldato
OP
Hi All

So i have been offered the job i interviewed for on Monday which is Power BI analyst. Only issue is my current notice period is 3 months and they have asked if i can get it down to one or two. I’m on leave at the moment and haven’t handed in notice yet.

What happens if you do leave without serving full notice period?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Probably not much, in theory, they can sue you but would need to demonstrate you'd caused them a loss or something AFAIK. In reality, it's more likely to just burn bridges with the company and maybe managers/coworkers and mean you may get a negative reference from them in future (though also in reality employers tend to avoid those too as they could pose a liability).

Soldato
Have the conversation on notice with them when you hand in your resignation. Their main concerns will be either trying to counter-offer you to stay, or making sure your work is handed over. Leaving before notice period has been talked about here on other threads, but the post from @dowie above is pretty much it. The cost of enforcing it is rarely worthwhile unless you're very senior. That being said, its better to leave on friendly terms if possible, you never know when things come around to bite down the line.

Soldato
Hi All

So i have been offered the job i interviewed for on Monday which is Power BI analyst. Only issue is my current notice period is 3 months and they have asked if i can get it down to one or two. I’m on leave at the moment and haven’t handed in notice yet.

What happens if you do leave without serving full notice period?

Just talk to your manager the won’t usually insist on the full notice period unless you’re absolutely indispensable.

There are tons of jobs in the data analysis / Power BI field and a shortage of candidates so I wasn’t surprised you were contacted so quickly about this role.

Soldato
OP
Just talk to your manager the won’t usually insist on the full notice period unless you’re absolutely indispensable.

There are tons of jobs in the data analysis / Power BI field and a shortage of candidates so I wasn’t surprised you were contacted so quickly about this role.

Funnily enough he said i should be weary of these jobs as ai automation will make them redundant in 5-10 years, bare in mind he is an accountant so the same could happen to him?

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course they'll say that. Put your notice in to finish on a day that suits you.

Of course, don't resign until you have a written unconditional offer from the other company.

Soldato
OP
Of course they'll say that. Put your notice in to finish on a day that suits you.

Of course, don't resign until you have a written unconditional offer from the other company.

I’ve already put that in and requested either 1 or 2 months notice period but seems they won’t accept. I have signed contract with the new company.

Associate
What would be the impact of leaving before your notice period? They legally have to pay you for hours worked that month. Leave when you want, you've done the right thing by warning them that you don't want to work the 3 months notice period.

Worse case for them you work 2 months and then call in sick for a month and get 1 month paid sick.

They will not sue you for leaving a month early as the potential damages (of you not being there) that they have to prove you caused by breaching the contract, wouldn't be enough to justify it.

Back
Top Bottom