What route to take?

Soldato
I’ve already put that in and requested either 1 or 2 months notice period but seems they won’t accept. I have signed contract with the new company.

They can refuse to accept, makes no difference as you won't be there from the date you put on your letter!

You may end up burning bridges. You have tried working with them to find a mutually agreeable date, they are standing firm and not compromising at all - that works both ways ie this is my leaving date and you need to start looking for a replacement or how best to manage your absence.

Of course this is after all talks have broken down.

Soldato
OP
They can refuse to accept, makes no difference as you won't be there from the date you put on your letter!

You may end up burning bridges. You have tried working with them to find a mutually agreeable date, they are standing firm and not compromising at all - that works both ways ie this is my leaving date and you need to start looking for a replacement or how best to manage your absence.

Of course this is after all talks have broken down.
I’ve already handed my notice in and didn’t specify an exact date.

I put something like “although my notice period is 3 months i would be grateful if i could serve 1 or 2 months please.”

Soldato
I’ve already handed my notice in and didn’t specify an exact date.

I put something like “although my notice period is 3 months i would be grateful if i could serve 1 or 2 months please.”

Putting it that way they were definitely going to decline the request. You'd have been better off stating in the resignation that your last day of work will be X date. It's down to them to then come back and say "that's not 3 months notice".

Soldato
OP
Putting it that way they were definitely going to decline the request. You'd have been better off stating in the resignation that your last day of work will be X date. It's down to them to then come back and say "that's not 3 months notice".
Bummer, the new place was going to give me 2k for 1 months notice and 1k for 2 months

Soldato
So they've refused your initial REQUEST, so now put in your 1 months notice with an exact finish date and pocket your £2k sign on bonus!

I don't understand your concern, if the shoe was on the other foot and redundancies etc came around for you, you wouldn't be given a second thought! There is no loyalty and you aren't married to the company.

Look after yourself ffs.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So they've refused your initial REQUEST, so now put in your 1 months notice with an exact finish date and pocket your £2k sign on bonus!

I don't understand your concern, if the shoe was on the other foot and redundancies etc came around for you, you wouldn't be given a second thought! There is no loyalty and you aren't married to the company.

Look after yourself ffs.
Can they give me a bad reference in future?

Caporegime
It's illegal to give a person a bad reference but the company can refuse to give a reference.

But they can also provide a reference stating the employee did not finish the required 3 month notice period.

TBH, i would be careful because if they are sufficiently aggravated then they do have legal options as the notice period is legally enforceable and part of the employment contract.

Soldato
But they can also provide a reference stating the employee did not finish the required 3 month notice period.

Unless a company is activity trying to screw the employee over. I don't see why they would consider disclosing this, whats the point?

Usually references are to confirm if the stated name on the CV worked to and from the dates they said. Not mention they didn't finish their notice period.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aren't references becoming a bit useless?

At least according to a relative who works in upper management in the NHS she said basically because they're afraid of any kind of legal blowback all they do is confirm job title + dates of employment nothing more nothing less.

Caporegime
Unless a company is activity trying to screw the employee over. I don't see why they would consider disclosing this, whats the point?

Usually references are to confirm if the stated name on the CV worked to and from the dates they said. Not mention they didn't finish their notice period.

why wouldn't they? References today are litter more than what you stated due to the issues CREATIVE said, but that isn't a legal requirement. An employer can say whatever they want on a reference in regards to the work, but they mustn't lie and be able to defend the critique.

If someone didn't work the notice period it is completely reasonable that this is added to the reference as it is easily defend as a hard fact.

Caporegime
Aren't references becoming a bit useless?

At least according to a relative who works in upper management in the NHS she said basically because they're afraid of any kind of legal blowback all they do is confirm job title + dates of employment nothing more nothing less.

which can be done with a pay stub, so most employer's don't bother with references

Caporegime
Also to note that you are legally required to work your notice period , failure to do so is breach of contract. The reality is it almost never makes sense for an employer to do much about it, but you expose yourself to small legal risk. In theory they could sue you for lost revenue for example. Or if a contractor had to be hired at short notice to cover your absence then you would in theory be liable to those costs.

The flip side is the new employer should be perfectly understanding of notice periods and want their new employee to respect company rules.

and yes, reasonable employers will be open to negotiations over notice periods and should realize that people being forced to work against their will due to contractual obligations doesn't result in much value, and may expose them to risks

Man of Honour
Personally I never breached a notice period without mutual agreement and never intend to do so in future. What you can do is negotiate with the existing employer i.e. request that you can work two months notice if XYZ deliverables are achieved. Also consider using your pro-rata annual leave allowance to ensure an earlier exit.
I do have a degree in computing (graduated 2010) but i dossed around in admin jobs for about 8 years before deciding i need to something more related to my degree
I graduated over 20 years ago and am still dossing around until I get something related to my degree :D

Soldato
OP
hey guys, so my employer won't budge on the 3 months notice which is a pain but whatever. My last contracted day is 12/09 but i have 9 days leave to take so i could start the new job around the 31st August but they say can't let me do that as i'm still contracted to the 12th. Is this normal? I am sure i've always used leave to start other jobs earlier.

I mean thats almost two weeks where i'll just be chilling at home. Guess it gives me time to work on some personal python projects but i could be using that time. to settle in to the new job.

Soldato
hey guys, so my employer won't budge on the 3 months notice which is a pain but whatever. My last contracted day is 12/09 but i have 9 days leave to take so i could start the new job around the 31st August but they say can't let me do that as i'm still contracted to the 12th. Is this normal? I am sure i've always used leave to start other jobs earlier.

I mean thats almost two weeks where i'll just be chilling at home. Guess it gives me time to work on some personal python projects but i could be using that time. to settle in to the new job.

yes they can - holidays are still part of your "employment" - your getting paid by the employer so you still work for them till your last day.

Sounds a bit ridiculous the employer whoever they are - Most will come and go with people leaving a bit.

However - work your notice, do the minimum your required to do to "tick the box" and leave on good terms. You never know when you might be back/come across staff etc later in your career.

Soldato
OP
yes they can - holidays are still part of your "employment" - your getting paid by the employer so you still work for them till your last day.

Sounds a bit ridiculous the employer whoever they are - Most will come and go with people leaving a bit.

However - work your notice, do the minimum your required to do to "tick the box" and leave on good terms. You never know when you might be back/come across staff etc later in your career.

Sorry i wasn't clear. My manager has no problems with me working with the new place whilst i'm on leave ,its the new place that say i can't do so.

Soldato
Sorry i wasn't clear. My manager has no problems with me working with the new place whilst i'm on leave ,its the new place that say i can't do so.
That's not surprising to me, given that your employment contract with your current employer very likely stipulates that all of your ideas and work output produced while working on their dime belongs to the current employer. The new employer wouldn't want any ideas formed or work output that was created on their dime belonging to the current employer.

Back
Top Bottom