What route to take?

Man of Honour
I've done it before, started a new job whilst on holiday from the old one. The main reason I did this was because they had some holiday accrual system whereby on the 24th of each month you got an additional month's worth of holiday entitlement accrued. So for example if you left on the 23rd you'd get 2.x days less holiday allowance compared to leaving on the 24th. Kind of silly really because there was no difference to what actual date you stopped doing work for them, but you'd get paid a different amount based on whether your employment official ended earlier or not (in simple terms I was better off working there and being on leave than simply ending employment earlier due to hitting the accrual threshold).

One thing to be wary of with overlaps is sometimes it can confuse the taxman into thinking you are earning a lot more than you are and you end up on an emergency tax code or whatever (I guess partly because you won't have a P45 to give to the new employer until later than normal).

I mean thats almost two weeks where i'll just be chilling at home. Guess it gives me time to work on some personal python projects but i could be using that time. to settle in to the new job.
One option is you could just not take the holiday and have it paid in cash from the old employer. If they are so desperate for you to work your notice period they might be happy with that.
Depends if you want the time off really.

Soldato
OP
I'm really struggling to stay productive during my notice period which doesn't end until September 12th. I

I'm wfh and tbh i have maybe 1-2 hours of routine work that needs to be done a day, the rest of the time i'm surfing the net wasting time/pottering about the house.

I am doing a power bi course from udemy a few evenings a week to prep for the new job, i am tempted to just start doing it in working hours but i'd feel even more guilty than i currently do.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Caporegime
I don't understand what you're feeling guilty about tbh... you do realise some people in more sensitive roles just get sent home immediately upon resigning and their notice period becomes "gardening leave".

If all you need to do is an hour or two a day on stuff in order to hand over/finish up whatever it is you were working on etc.. then so be it, might as well use the rest of the time for preparing for your new role and keep your evenings free for other things.

Man of Honour
I'm really struggling to stay productive during my notice period which doesn't end until September 12th. I

I'm wfh and tbh i have maybe 1-2 hours of routine work that needs to be done a day, the rest of the time i'm surfing the net wasting time/pottering about the house.

I am doing a power bi course from udemy a few evenings a week to prep for the new job, i am tempted to just start doing it in working hours but i'd feel even more guilty than i currently do.

Yep. I know it's tough when you are a conscientious worker, but your employer knows this will happen, it's human nature even if you are Captain Committed under normal circumstances.

Don't lose too much sleep over it.

Soldato

I'd keep up with your required duties and not stress about the rest of the day. Use it to improve yourself (training, working out, etc).

Many years ago, my whole team was told that we would be made redundant in three months, and could use the time for self-improvement, as long as we kept the lights on with the systems that we had developed, so to speak. We definitely did some self-improvement; we all got good at a multiplayer battle arena computer game! :p One of our team members used the three months wisely by studying Leetcode on company time and got a great job afterwards.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What I find a bit bizarre is why they are holding you to 3 months notice if you only have 1-2hrs work a day. I was held to 3 months notice previously but that was in a superbusy job where I was involved with critical initiatives so it would have been to their detriment to release me early.
In your situation they should just be using your spare capacity to transfer your responsibilities to others and getting that closed out in 2 months max, I guess they don't have a recipient lined up?

I wouldn't feel guilty about training as that is no less work related than 'surfing the net / pottering about the house'.

Soldato
OP
What I find a bit bizarre is why they are holding you to 3 months notice if you only have 1-2hrs work a day. I was held to 3 months notice previously but that was in a superbusy job where I was involved with critical initiatives so it would have been to their detriment to release me early.
In your situation they should just be using your spare capacity to transfer your responsibilities to others and getting that closed out in 2 months max, I guess they don't have a recipient lined up?

I wouldn't feel guilty about training as that is no less work related than 'surfing the net / pottering about the house'.

1) they made the other data analyst who worked for another team redundant/fired , not entirely sure what happened but communication issues have been cited as a problem so i think the latter
2) i've had to tweak some reports that said person made
3) no one else seems to know much about excel other than the basics
4) They haven't got a replacement yet

Associate

Yep, and I absolutely hammered studying/courses, you should do it too.
It's human nature to feel things like guilt especially when an employer has been decent to you, but at the end of the day it's just a job, and you're doing what is needed. Any time over and above that is yours if there is genuinely nothing useful to do.
In general, employers happily exploit workers' feelings when it comes to e.g. not giving someone a payrise until they threaten to leave, or going over and above usual hours out of a feeling of loyalty. So don't feel bad when on occasion the tables are turned in your favour.

Back
Top Bottom