What smart themostart are using?

Soldato
Have you done the maths on just getting an oil filled rad for your office?

It was just my wife yesterday and I suggested she knocked the heating off schedule and just used the oil filled radiator, but then second guessed myself as the fabric of the building would cool and then it'd be harder to get back up to temperature.

I am not a thermostat though so I don't know if that is totally true.
It's tiny. Even though I'm largely working on a remote machine, there's enough warmth from the hardware in the room to keep it toasty.

The main problem is our rabbit's favourite sleeping spot is right in study doorway, so it ends up being open half the time :o

Soldato
following discussion in optmizing boiler thread (on tado eu version) .. if you want a smart thermostat get one that will (efficiently) modulate via opentherm the boiler output, as opposed to just turning boiler on/off at full power.
relations just had a new boiler and it seems tado/eu or nest modulating would be circa £200 ... or tado WIRED for £80 ... so, potentially wire it and save £120

look at heetgeek

Are All Modulating Smart Stats the Same?

Well as mentioned above, many stats such as the Hive and now Tado, simply switch the heat source (be it boiler or heat pump) on or off.

Of the smart stats that speak a bit more intelligently to the heat source, as well as having different bus languages available, you also have some stats that are a bit more responsive or aggressive with the flow temperature than others.

For example, the Nest is actually very good because it's a gentle modulating controller, provided it's a Nest version three or later. It doesn't jump up the boiler demand too high but instead calls for a much lower gentler heat to the radiators keeping them nice and cool.

Man of Honour
Used Tado since I moved in this house about 8 years ago and had no issues. Being a small place I don't have smart TRV's but you would need them in somewhere bigger to make the most of it.

Man of Honour
I believe on the Tado system that if you lose internet connection you do indeed lose control of the heating. On top of that, it won't even follow your schedule. Which is a shame because Tado is highly recommended in a few places.

You can't change the settings from your phone remotely if that is the case, but I can still press the button on the controller thing on the wall to change the temp up/down and I believe it will still keep the schedule, you just wouldn't be able to change it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have Tado plus about 14 TRVs around the house and I find it excellent. I pay the subscription for the geofencing, which is a bit of a con, but I'm really happy with the system.

Internet has gone down twice in the last year and then you can just use them like normal TRVs.

Soldato
What is the rubbish about smart heating being useless if your internet goes down. It reverts to being a dumb system so you manually set the temp via the thermostat and/or TRV

I've got Hive, not idea how much money it saves me but being able to turn off a rad in unoccupied rooms works well so it must be saving some money

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you all for your helpful contribution. I'm looking at the hive mini. I had a plumber come around today and he said he swears by the hive mini, which is the updated one. How much did you spend, those who installed these thermostats recently with the TRV‘s?.

Soldato
Thank you all for your helpful contribution. I'm looking at the hive mini. I had a plumber come around today and he said he swears by the hive mini, which is the updated one. How much did you spend, those who installed these thermostats recently with the TRV‘s?.
150 fitted for the thermostat (Amazon offer). TRVs I pick up on offers. Hive direct normally have an offer.

Soldato
Just checked amazon and its about £116 for thermostat. I currently have a thermostat controlling each floor of my home, so I assume I'm going to need 3 of the hive minis?
If you currently have 3 thermostats then it's likely you have 3 heating zones controlled by zone valves with electric actuators, meaning things get much more complicated. If you have a hot water tank you'll need a Hive Mini that does CH and HW with a dual receiver, then another 2 hive minis and two single channel receivers. I can't even see in the install guide how the Hive connects to the zone valves - make sure your plumber is aware of this before you buy etc.

Associate
OP
If you currently have 3 thermostats then it's likely you have 3 heating zones controlled by zone valves with electric actuators, meaning things get much more complicated. If you have a hot water tank you'll need a Hive Mini that does CH and HW with a dual receiver, then another 2 hive minis and two single channel receivers. I can't even see in the install guide how the Hive connects to the zone valves - make sure your plumber is aware of this before you buy etc.
Hi many thanks. Yes I definitely have 3 zones, so it's likely going to cost more. Hoping it doesn't go above £500 for the entire setup! With your setup with the TRV‘s how much did you pay in the end please?

Associate
Thank you all for your helpful contribution. I'm looking at the hive mini. I had a plumber come around today and he said he swears by the hive mini, which is the updated one. How much did you spend, those who installed these thermostats recently with the T
Great. Do you use a hive as well?
We also opted for Hive. Originally we were going to go for Nest but after speaking with a couple of people who switched from Nest to Hive we went the Hive route.

10 months on we’re very pleased with it, the app is great, simple to use and just switch the heating on when we’re heading back home. We haven’t got the TRVs to go with it, I was going to purchase them next year but as we‘re thinking of moving they’re on hold

Back
Top Bottom