what the hell is going on with our roads.

Soldato
my mate almost wrote his car off a month back after hitting a pothole (new wheel needed and not convinced his suspension will pass MOT next time) , I feel like I am skiing or something the amount of weaving Indo to dodge the damn things and just this evening on the way to my lads swim lesson the deepest pote hole I ever saw spanning the entire half of the road (a past pipe or something must have meant they cut a channel across the whole.road and it failed).

coming originally from a small village am used to dodgy roads but never seen owt like it in big towns it's a disgrace

Associate
They do appear out of control this year, or just lack of attempting to keep on top of. Gloucestershire county council had the audacity to place big signs around about 2yrs ago now saying millions of pounds of investment into roads, the signs appeared in random locations. Some roads that didn't need doing got entirely dug up. For a short period the roads (not all) appeared better. But it was short lived.

Even some motoway sections are questionable, so guess the issue has hit them too.

Associate
Yeh they are absolutely awful round me too and they don't appear to be too swift with sorting them out. As suggested it's probably a lack of money...

Permabanned
Councils claim to be strapped for cash due to, at least around here, "housing pressures". I'll let the reader guess the cause of those...

I still get customers wanting low profile tyres on larger diameter rims though, and cautiously tell them what they really need are taller profile tyres on the smallest diameter rims that will clear their brakes and suspension links. But "stance and style" usually win out and then the tears of woe flow when an expensive 19 or 20 inch tyre and rim or two are scrapped due to potholes and their none compliant sidewalls.

Oh and the travelling community have stolen dozens of grid covers hereabouts, leaving death traps for cyclists, motorcyclists and those infirm or of poor eyesight.

Last edited:
Permabanned
This is a problem that has been moaned about every year since time began.

My misses hit a crater a while back denting both n/s side alloys and destroying 2 tyres inc a virtually brand Assymetric 5.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Poor quality work doesn't help - they had to cut a trench outside where I live and despite the job being complete and signed off, they then claimed they hadn't done final reinstatement of the surface after it collapsed into a pothole... though they did come back fairly promptly and fix it after complaints.

Sadly couple of hundred yards further down the road huge pothole opening up which no one seems to be able to get any momentum going on fixing - it is actually starting to become dangerous now not just a risk of damage to people's vehicles.

With the heatwave last July a lot of the recent surface works around here just turned into gloopy melted messes some sunken into the road, others bulged up and they've only just finished fixing that.

Soldato
Isn't it the same as every other issue in the country - no money left....
There's plenty of money, but people keep voting for the party whose idealogy revolves around cutting public spending on useful infrastructure like roads, and instead funneling as much taxpayer money as possible into private pockets.

Constantly cut funding for roads for 13 years.....oh my god the roads are a state! Who could have predicted it? :rolleyes:

Soldato
Our council claims poverty for road repairs, but keeps spending millions on more average speed cameras. On roads sometimes so bad you can't go 50 let alone 65.

They fixed a few bad ones on my commute, but the repairs are almost as bad as the hole.

Not long ago I hit a pothole so bad on the M1 it knocked out a DRL.

Last edited:
Soldato
Avoided a few today only to drive into another one :(

to be fair there's lots of other work going on where I live, bridges , cycle lanes, central barriers etc. So you can't really complain

There are worse roads and countries

Last edited:
Soldato
Had some nasty one's on my route to work but to my surprise they have been filled in, I wouldn't be surprised though is someone has taken it on themeselves to fix them as the repairs look a little amateur

Soldato
yes just the stupid unobservant drivers who drive through them with their incompatible low profile tyres - still, their revised premiums should give them food for thought and hopefully reduce burden for others.

Back
Top Bottom