What TV do you game on ?

Soldato
I've always been a Plasma man. Always Panasonic too. My two main plasma's are both THX certified, and they replaced earlier generation Panasonic Plasma's. However last weekend, I sold my soul to the devil, and bought an LCD. (not for me, but for my kid) It was a 120hz motionflow, which the UK equiv is 100hz. (I'm in the USA)

Anyway, for those who don't know. LCD's have a far harder time at keeping their 1080p resolution during movement compared to Plasma's, so they invented some digital trickery to double the frame rate, which gives the movies, a very fluid albeit un-natural for a movie movement. I've always scoffed at the idea, and still do. Movies are meant to be watched at 24fps and nothing more..

However...... This thread is about gaming.. AND one thing I really like about these 120hz motionflow LCD's is what they do for the 30fps games.. They turn them all into 60fps titles, and this has a great effect on them. Games such as all drivers, which use to annoy me at 30fps, now run at 60fps and gives them that much more playabilty. It's breathed some new life into some of the older games I've had sitting around. I always use to ask the question for all racers, that I'm typically a big fan of, is it 30fps or 60fps, and if it was 30fps, I'd pretty much stay away.

It's not perfect, but its a darn sight better than being stuck at 30fps. Works great on everything else too, providing the game is locked at 30fps. Titles such as Uncharted, LBP, all 30fps games, now run super silky smooth. My Panny's and all other plasma's and all 50hz (UK talk) LCD's for that matter, only replicate the games intended frame rate.

Therefore, i think its far to say, if you are after a new telly, and are a gamer first and foremost, go for a 100hz lcd over anything else.

No no no the picture is still not as good as my panny's, any day of the week, but if silky smooth is your thing (as it is with me) then its the obvious choice.

Caporegime
Anyway, for those who don't know. LCD's have a far harder time at keeping their 1080p resolution during movement compared to Plasma's, so they invented some digital trickery to double the frame rate, which gives the movies, a very fluid albeit un-natural for a movie movement. I've always scoffed at the idea, and still do. Movies are meant to be watched at 24fps and nothing more..

I'm pretty sure you can turn this feature off on a lot of sets. My Samsung LCD had this feature which did exactly what you're describing and I disabled it straight away as it was horrible.

Man of Honour
My Panasonic plasma does the same thing. 120hz is what we have in the UK too by the way.

We're not in the dark ages here, games have run at 60hz for decades.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a 360 connected to a Sony 40" W4500 and one connected to a Samsung 46" D8000 and both are imo flawless.

Also had one connected to a Dell 24.1" monitor and found that pipped both sets in terms of image quality.. so much that I considered buying a 30" Dell but I'm just too used to a larger screen now :\

Soldato
I've got a 360 connected to a Sony 40" W4500

A PS3 connected to the the same here. More than happy with it.

When the times comes for me to get a new screen it'll be a 46 or maybe larger only because the bay that our TV in dwarfs the TV and it looks silly.

That time will only come with an OLED screen though which is still a few years off for the kind of money I'd be willing to drop on it (£1000 max)

I'm used to broadcast quality CRTs so anything I can afford in the home is never going to compare anyway so the w4500 is more than fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
50" Pansonic VT20 here. No input lag, fully isf calibrated, near KURO black levels, 3D which also means it has the faster switching phosphors and therefore means much reduced phosphor trails. It's a great jump from the 40" Sony EX503 I had before that. The downside is it really shows how dated this generation is these days, I have a long HDMI waiting in the car to hook up my PC and I can also use nVidia's 3DTV play.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
360 via HDMI on a 37" InspiRED 720p LCD effort, by no means top of the line but I got it a fair few years ago when 1080p cost a fortune, and this TV was a steal :D

Has served me well, i'll upgrade to a 1080P 47" effort when they reach a price i'm willing to pay ^_^

Soldato
OP
My Panasonic plasma does the same thing. 120hz is what we have in the UK too by the way.

We're not in the dark ages here, games have run at 60hz for decades.

Plasma's do not have motionflow. There's no need. The plasma is like a light bulb, it's switches on immediately. Unlike LCD, which has to work at blocking light, thus the delay and the need for motionflow. You probably have quite an old plasma that is talking about subfield hz. Which is something different to what I'm talking about. Your plasma does not turn a 30fps game into a 60fps game.

Soldato
Plasma's do not have motionflow. There's no need. The plasma is like a light bulb, it's switches on immediately. Unlike LCD, which has to work at blocking light, thus the delay and the need for motionflow. You probably have quite an old plasma that is talking about subfield hz. Which is something different to what I'm talking about. Your plasma does not turn a 30fps game into a 60fps game.

Plasmas do indeed have motion interpolation methods in much the same way LCD's do. Panasonic for instance have Intelligent Frame Creation and Smooth 24p. They are not needed at all however due to the faster nature of the plasma technology. They are there simply as a marketing ploy.

Man of Honour

Google "Panasonic Plasma IFC", it increases the motion resolution greatly.

I have a late 2010 46G20.

I'm not a retard, I fully understand how the different technologies work. I simplified my explanation as I assumed you didn't have a full grasp of how the technologies work, judging by your strange assumption that you can simply turn a 30fps game into a 60fps one by increasing motion resolution through frame insertions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently a 37" Samsung A565, but as of this weekend (depending on delivery), it will be a Panasonic P50G20B (50" plasma :D).

Cannot wait, I sit about 9 foot away for the 50" will be perfectly sized for it :D

ags

Back
Top Bottom