What watch do you wear?

Associate
The MEYHOFER Caoutchouc rubber strap came today from https://www.watch-band-center.com. Interesting to note that no customs duty or other taxes to pay shipped from France.
As far as I can tell the strap is exactly the same as the ZuluDiver 298 sold by Watchgecko for £28 but this was just £20.63 (24 Euros). The Zulu one is manufactured by Bonetto Cinturini so I guess MEYHOFER use them too. It also retains the exact same vanilla smell. This is great news as I now have a shop to get 18mm straps in the colour I like where no UK stockist can get it in other than black.

I think it suits the Hamilton, bit of a contrast with the lume colour and gives a more field tool watch look than casual that the canvas 2 piece gives.

Lovely, the green suits it very well. Did it come with the Hamilton buckle too?

Associate
Can’t harm putting your name on multiple lists. Increases your chance of being offered one ! :) I asked for my AD to call me if a Milgauss or air king are available too :p

Loving the Milgauss too, in Z Blue :D ?

Not a fan of the Air King though, the numbers for the markers and the green and yellow accents on black dial don't work for me.

Are the waiting list for these as bad as the GMT II ?

Soldato
Loving the Milgauss too, in Z Blue :D ?

Not a fan of the Air King though, the numbers for the markers and the green and yellow accents on black dial don't work for me.

Are the waiting list for these as bad as the GMT II ?
I’m thinking if I pick one up, it’ll be the darker colour of the two. While I like the blue/green, it’s just a little bright for me.

yeah I heard the air king is a bit marmite ! I like it. (Big fan of aviation)

Man of Honour
I really like that, I think the practicality of the material alongside the colour suits the watch very well. You could wear it through anything and not really have to worry about it.

This was my thinking too. I already have the black one from Zuludiver but black is just too boring on a watch like this so it will likely hibernate in the watch box forever now :p
I have to consciously think about wearing the canvas sand coloured strap though as it's very nice but not as versatile as a rubber is.

Lovely, the green suits it very well. Did it come with the Hamilton buckle too?

Ah no it came with a plain buckle but I swapped over the vintage Hamilton buckle as this will now be the strap I wear most with this watch.

Associate
I’m thinking if I pick one up, it’ll be the darker colour of the two. While I like the blue/green, it’s just a little bright for me.

yeah I heard the air king is a bit marmite ! I like it. (Big fan of aviation)

Yes it is very bright so definitely not for everyone. Love the lightning design for the second hand though. Cool without being tacky.

Had a chat with the other half, she prefers the Red Blue GMT II. I'm on the fence though so I'll mull on it over the week and see which I'll enquire about. Guessing they are equally popular.

Soldato
Yes it is very bright so definitely not for everyone. Love the lightning design for the second hand though. Cool without being tacky.

Had a chat with the other half, she prefers the Red Blue GMT II. I'm on the fence though so I'll mull on it over the week and see which I'll enquire about. Guessing they are equally popular.
I think the red/blue is MUCH more in demand than the black/blue unfortunately.

Soldato
This week I shall mostly be wearing -

pxl_20210326_110106455_by_saiper_deglb50-fullview.jpg

Associate
Hmm I do understand that but it still doesn't make full sense as there are plenty of other high end watches in equally high demand but are always readily available!

They aren't in anywhere near such high demand though. Aside from the odd LE, there is simply nothing out there as in demand as the Sub.
As hughtrimble said, much of that demand is 'manufactured' in that there are waitlists at ADs for products readily available on the grey market, but at much higher prices. Watches are easy to store so grey dealers can sit on them as long as they want and wait for a buyer but it also sets expectations for the 'value' of the product. This also leads to seeing loads of people with 4 or 5 different reference subs or SDs mainly there for investment purposes, further driving demand.
Every watch auction I've looked at has been chock full of subs, SDs and particularly Datejusts. There are plenty about but they are perceived as scarce because you can't get them for retail without that special relationship nonsense.
It's a bubble that will burst..... at some point, but it could be a while and there is always another emerging market that will hoover up spare capacity.

Soldato
This week I shall mostly be wearing -

pxl_20210326_110106455_by_saiper_deglb50-fullview.jpg
I love the PO. Had a titanium blue dial one a few years ago and regret selling it. the only thing IMO that stops it being perfect is the external helium valve. Annoys the hell out of me. Is that a forged carbon case? I can't keep up with the numerous releases.

Soldato
I love the PO. Had a titanium blue dial one a few years ago and regret selling it. the only thing IMO that stops it being perfect is the external helium valve. Annoys the hell out of me. Is that a forged carbon case? I can't keep up with the numerous releases.

It's the full ceramic version. It adds to the weight, but I quite like that; makes it feel more solid. I agree re the helium valve. Totally superfluous to desk diving.

Man of Honour
Helium valves must be the most played out complication on a watch case ever. They are only relevant to saturation divers, and only then if specifically needed. No other type of diving calls for the need of any such valve so quite why makers like Omega still put ugly valves that stick out on watches that will almost certainly never see the wrist of a full time saturation diver (of which there are only a few hundred active in the world) remains a mystery.

They aren't in anywhere near such high demand though. Aside from the odd LE, there is simply nothing out there as in demand as the Sub.
As hughtrimble said, much of that demand is 'manufactured' in that there are waitlists at ADs for products readily available on the grey market, but at much higher prices. Watches are easy to store so grey dealers can sit on them as long as they want and wait for a buyer but it also sets expectations for the 'value' of the product. This also leads to seeing loads of people with 4 or 5 different reference subs or SDs mainly there for investment purposes, further driving demand.
Every watch auction I've looked at has been chock full of subs, SDs and particularly Datejusts. There are plenty about but they are perceived as scarce because you can't get them for retail without that special relationship nonsense.
It's a bubble that will burst..... at some point, but it could be a while and there is always another emerging market that will hoover up spare capacity.

I guess it's the manufactured demand part I just don't understand or accept the reason for. There are so many references it boggles the mind and I thought 51 Seamaster 300M variants was too many.

Anyways I have sold the Timex Pac-Mac lol. I got back what I paid for it in effort to make some watch box space for the new Baltic releasing for ordering next month. If it ends up not being a style I like I may well get something else who knows :D

Soldato
I see the Coniston Black Edition has 34 pieces left for sale out of the 500. Selling very quickly over the past couple of weeks.

Time is quickly running out to make a decision. Hmmm. Shame there aren't any YT videos of it, apart from poor quality one.

Man of Honour
You don't need a review of the black edition specifically as it is only a colourway difference over the other Conistons. The movement is also the exact same with just a difference in colour of the metal. Any Coniston review will be all you need really.

Soldato
You don't need a review of the black edition specifically as it is only a colourway difference over the other Conistons. The movement is also the exact same with just a difference in colour of the metal. Any Coniston review will be all you need really.
Sorry mrk but you'd be on 'report' if you made that comment at Marlow :p

"It may look like the Black Edition is just a recolouring of the Coniston, but you’d be mistaken, ..."

Can you not give it an order and then return it if not happy?

Soldato
Sorry mrk but you'd be on 'report' if you made that comment at Marlow :p

"It may look like the Black Edition is just a recolouring of the Coniston, but you’d be mistaken, ..."

Can you not give it an order and then return it if not happy?

:D

It's certainly the only watch by them that peaks my interest. I like their story also and the attention to detail. Their videos of concept to design and execution are really inspiring.

Back
Top Bottom