What watch do you wear?

Associate
Basically. And buy lots of other bits and pieces from them if it makes sense to. And don't hold your breath, it'll take a year or two.

Thanks for the replies.

Doesn't make much sense for me to get any bits and bobs. So with no previous history I'd realistically expect over a year wait then which is actually fine for me right now.

It just depends on your AD, some seem to favour those with big spendy spendy history, and others seem to just have a waiting list or 'expression of interest', and others say they're centrally managed by their head office (if it's a big chain) and priority is given by spend history and also known retention of watches. Some have got in hot water from the AD for selling on watches they've bought (and not always for profit) e.g. by checking serial numbers in adverts, and been barred from buying from them again! Just ludicrous levels of monitoring.

Others have been able to get them within weeks despite not buying other trinkets, others waiting for years.

Pot luck by the sounds of things.

What would be the etiquette for getting put on the waiting list? Name and number, any deposit necessary?
Then once my name gets called do I have a set time frame to go in store to purchase it, like a few days?

I'm currently living in East London but I'm from up North and intend to move back up to Merseyside or Lancashire before the end of the year. Due to the time frame I should probably talk to the ones up North? From checking Rolex's website the three closest AD would be Goldsmith and Robinson in Liverpool and Whittles in Preston. Any of them you would recommend? Or should I talk to all of them?

Thanks again guys. A lot more procedure than buying PC components online :p

Soldato
I went in my local AD last week. They took my name, number, post code etc. On the wait list for the blue/black gmt too. :)

said they’d phone me if anything comes up. But wouldn’t give me any estimates etc.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I think it's ridiculous that they design wait lists for watches like those for no reason other than to have preferred customers. There is no reasonable reason why a specific GMT ref can't be readily available, they can do it with other models just fine?

Nico from Pride & Pinion said it best and for him to tell it like it is as a Rolex dealer himself, says something. He noted that in order to be bumped up the list you'd have to buy a watch you don't actually want to build that "spend history" - Again another ridiculous thing that highlights that the whole system is manufactured this way.

Personally I would never even entertain buying something from a brand that works this type of business as it pushes away people who really wants that model and are ready to buy it that very moment, but can't because they have no history with the dealer. A sale is a sale, why dirty it with preferential treatment.

Associate
Posted my Omega off to them today via the watch pack service they offer, let's see what they offer me for it when it arrives tomorrow.

I have a couple of Polar dial Explorer 2s that I want to move on, they have been the most realistic with offers but I want to wait and see if they get discontinued first.

Soldato
What would be the etiquette for getting put on the waiting list? Name and number, any deposit necessary?
Then once my name gets called do I have a set time frame to go in store to purchase it, like a few days?

I'm currently living in East London but I'm from up North and intend to move back up to Merseyside or Lancashire before the end of the year. Due to the time frame I should probably talk to the ones up North? From checking Rolex's website the three closest AD would be Goldsmith and Robinson in Liverpool and Whittles in Preston. Any of them you would recommend? Or should I talk to all of them?

Thanks again guys. A lot more procedure than buying PC components online :p

Give them all a call and ask, no loss to you. If they're the same chain, they may well have a centralised list so you'll only get on it once anyway. Deposits aren't usually taken just for expressions of interest as they can't guarantee you'll actually get what you're paying the deposit for, though I bet some do.

There is no fixed method for how they distribute the watches, it's up to them whom they sell to, so they get away with doing whatever they like. There was a period in recent years where some ADs held back the warranty cards for a year (the idea being to reduce the resale value if sold on straight away) and they required the owner to return to the shop with the watch to then obtain the warranty card! It's utterly ridiculous that they get away with withholding what is yours as the buyer, but people still go with it just to be able to have the watch.

Soldato
I think it's ridiculous that they design wait lists for watches like those for no reason other than to have preferred customers. There is no reasonable reason why a specific GMT ref can't be readily available, they can do it with other models just fine?
It's controlled production to maintain interest in the brand. People wouldn't want them as much as they do if they could easily get ahold of them.
Rolex are absolute masters of limiting supply to increase demand.

Associate
How much would you sell for?

SARB017 kind of day today:

This is my predicament... I'm not sure. One is a 2018, box and papers, mint. The other is unworn 2021 with AD shop receipt. Still has some stickers on it that the AD didn't remove.

The prices of them on eBay are crazy. I've been offered £6k and an unworn Tudor black bay 58 for the 2018 which I am tempted to take.

Associate
Give them all a call and ask, no loss to you. If they're the same chain, they may well have a centralised list so you'll only get on it once anyway. Deposits aren't usually taken just for expressions of interest as they can't guarantee you'll actually get what you're paying the deposit for, though I bet some do.

There is no fixed method for how they distribute the watches, it's up to them whom they sell to, so they get away with doing whatever they like. There was a period in recent years where some ADs held back the warranty cards for a year (the idea being to reduce the resale value if sold on straight away) and they required the owner to return to the shop with the watch to then obtain the warranty card! It's utterly ridiculous that they get away with withholding what is yours as the buyer, but people still go with it just to be able to have the watch.

True that I'll give them a call. Is it safe to be put down on several different lists then?

That's a bit mad withholding warranty cards, but i guess it is a feasible anti scalping measure. Well at least there isn't a chance of losing your warranty card :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The MEYHOFER Caoutchouc rubber strap came today from https://www.watch-band-center.com. Interesting to note that no customs duty or other taxes to pay shipped from France.
As far as I can tell the strap is exactly the same as the ZuluDiver 298 sold by Watchgecko for £28 but this was just £20.63 (24 Euros). The Zulu one is manufactured by Bonetto Cinturini so I guess MEYHOFER use them too. It also retains the exact same vanilla smell. This is great news as I now have a shop to get 18mm straps in the colour I like where no UK stockist can get it in other than black.

I think it suits the Hamilton, bit of a contrast with the lume colour and gives a more field tool watch look than casual that the canvas 2 piece gives.

MEYHOFER_Caoutchouc_NATO_Front.jpg
MEYHOFER_Caoutchouc_NATO_Rear.jpg

It's controlled production to maintain interest in the brand. People wouldn't want them as much as they do if they could easily get ahold of them.
Rolex are absolute masters of limiting supply to increase demand.

Hmm I do understand that but it still doesn't make full sense as there are plenty of other high end watches in equally high demand but are always readily available!

Last edited:
Soldato
True that I'll give them a call. Is it safe to be put down on several different lists then?

That's a bit mad withholding warranty cards, but i guess it is a feasible anti scalping measure. Well at least there isn't a chance of losing your warranty card :p
Can’t harm putting your name on multiple lists. Increases your chance of being offered one ! :) I asked for my AD to call me if a Milgauss or air king are available too :p

Associate
Bought as a gift and imported from Japan. It's tiny, 13mm lug width! Japanese Amazon actually had the best offer going including the various import fees.

dozfkla.jpg

Solar and Radio (based off the German Transmitter). Might need some messing around with BST changes but about as low maintenance as they come! Hopefully it goes down well and isn't too bling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom