What watch do you wear?

Associate
I registered with my AD over a year ago when Tudor announced the Black Bay Ceramic and yesterday out the blue got a call saying they had got one i had first refusal. Needless to say i went down today and did the deal.

Wears smaller and massively lighter on the wrist than my Pelagos LHD. Its really hard to photograph because the glass bounces the light so much but you get the idea

Congrats! seems to be a bit thick but definitely a good looking watch :cool:

Soldato
When I moved I put my Speedy and Dad's Omega in my mums house. I am definitely missing them. I had considered shifting the Speedy to pay for house refurbs but I know I'll just want to buy it back again. Looking forward to collecting them!

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting rid of my Apple Watch and switching to a couple of more "traditional" watches. I'm going to go with a more basic Casio digital retro style as my day-to-day, but looking at getting something that will be more of a "dress" watch. I know this usually means minimalist but I don't mind a little design.

With that said, I've just come across a company called AVI-8 (https://avi-8.co.uk/collections/all-watches). Being an AvGeek, these watches look absolutely amazing! Has anyone had any first hand experience with them?

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting rid of my Apple Watch and switching to a couple of more "traditional" watches. I'm going to go with a more basic Casio digital retro style as my day-to-day, but looking at getting something that will be more of a "dress" watch. I know this usually means minimalist but I don't mind a little design.

With that said, I've just come across a company called AVI-8 (https://avi-8.co.uk/collections/all-watches). Being an AvGeek, these watches look absolutely amazing! Has anyone had any first hand experience with them?
If you like it, that is the main thing. Avi-8 though are distinctly a "direct to consumer" watch brand. You aren't getting anything "special" per say. A proper aviation geek watch may be something like a Hamilton Pilot.

Proper classic mechanical:

Something a bit more modern:

Hamilton being the company that literally used to supply the RAF.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you like it, that is the main thing. Avi-8 though are distinctly a "direct to consumer" watch brand. You aren't getting anything "special" per say. A proper aviation geek watch may be something like a Hamilton Pilot.

Proper classic mechanical:

Something a bit more modern:

Hamilton being the company that literally used to supply the RAF.
Thanks. Probably should have prefaced a budget requirement here :D I’d say £300 is the absolute maximum to spend on my “dress watch” here, and even that is difficult to swallow for me :)

Soldato
Thanks. Probably should have prefaced a budget requirement here :D I’d say £300 is the absolute maximum to spend on my “dress watch” here, and even that is difficult to swallow for me :)
I'm sure @mrk will have a decent Pilots watch recommendation for you around that budget. And I'm sure mrk won't contradict what I said... buy what you like, and if that is the AVI-8, then go for it.

Soldato
Something like this:

This one comes with a Miyota movement (industry recognised), sapphire crystal glass (this is essential if you want to wear it all the time and not have it scratched to bits)...

Reactions: mrk

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Aachen is a good shout in that price range. I had the Aachen 39mm, and bear in mind even the 39mm is rather chonky a case so the 42mm will wear even bigger still. The sapphire is as standard but you can opt for the double sided AR coating which adds a premium look and aesthetic whilst improving the dial clarity further.

This was mine:

lume_FL.jpg

details_handheld-allsides.jpg

The Miyota movement is fine too, I had the optional movement upgrade too Laco31 (Miyota 8315), the standard one is the Laco21 (8215), the difference being extra decoration and if I recall, a bit more accurate as adjusted to more positions but it's much of a muchness.

The otpions do cost a bit extra, mine came to €445 shipped. Options only possible through Laco directif you want them, otherwise just use the more domestic links as posted above.

You get a Flieger from one of the 5 original brands who were authorised to make them, and a robustly built watch that looks/feels good.

Last edited:
Associate
Hoping to get a galaxy watch 4 or 5 for help during work
But going out either the Armani, boss, or citizen eco drive
Also want to possibly get a Tudor in all black sometime in future

Soldato
Aachen is a good shout in that price range. I had the Aachen 39mm, and bear in mind even the 39mm is rather chonky a case so the 42mm will wear even bigger still. The sapphire is as standard but you can opt for the double sided AR coating which adds a premium look and aesthetic whilst improving the dial clarity further.
[snip]
Thanks. They look bloody huge! I don't think I have even medium wrists (just measured - about 7"/17cm around) so I think it'd look huge on me, the AVI-8 ones even more! :D Thanks for the brand though, I'll have a nose around.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Perhaps you are like me then and 36/37mm will fit the best at around 44-46mm lug to luck and sub 12mm thickness.

Sadly with that sort of requirement you are looking at a higher budget as not much about in the mainstream range for that sort of size. Laco/Stowa/Hamilton have pilot watches in this range very easily but you'd need to at least double the budget if sticking to those brands.

Soldato
Thanks. They look bloody huge! I don't think I have even medium wrists (just measured - about 7"/17cm around) so I think it'd look huge on me, the AVI-8 ones even more! :D Thanks for the brand though, I'll have a nose around.
Check out this Seiko as well - it is also automatic.

Or proper classic Seiko Pilot watch:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom