What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Got to decide if I want the black bay chrono enough to part with the cash. In York for a break and got one reserved for £4250. Said I'd let them know tomorrow if I'll have it. Prices going up on 1st of September, will be nearly 5k then :(

Soldato
Keep debating whether I should cave in an treat myself to a Submariner, DayDate or a DateJust. It would be for me first and foremost but I know my wife would also like to share it and wear it from time to time.

Another part of me also wants to own a luxury watch so that it eventually becomes a bit of a family heirloom which I can pass onto children (if we have them).

However I'm finding it hard wrestling with dropping £5k-£10k on a watch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Keep debating whether I should cave in an treat myself to a Submariner, DayDate or a DateJust. It would be for me first and foremost but I know my wife would also like to share it and wear it from time to time.

Another part of me also wants to own a luxury watch so that it eventually becomes a bit of a family heirloom which I can pass onto children (if we have them).

For sure it's a difficult decision to make. That much money on something you don't really need.

But on the other hand, I don't have many expensive hobbies and I do love watches.

So why not :)

Soldato

I say go with the Submariner, a DayDate will set you back £30K+.

Soldato
Got to decide if I want the black bay chrono enough to part with the cash. In York for a break and got one reserved for £4250. Said I'd let them know tomorrow if I'll have it. Prices going up on 1st of September, will be nearly 5k then :(
If you love the Tudor then go for it, I doubt it’ll lose much value so worth a punt. At that sort of money make sure there’s nothing else that pulls on the heartstrings more though!

Man of Honour
From Mappin & Webb or Berry's jewellers? I have always found Berry's to be more personable and have given better discounts..

Last edited:
Soldato

The good news is that Submariners, DayDates and frankly DateJusts are quite tricky to get a hold of :) So it isn't like you can just walk in and buy one!

Soldato
Yes it was Berry's, they were much more personable. I resisted the purchase in the end. Think I'll wait until I've paid the mortgage off then treat myself to something really nice :)
Can you buy it on "lease back"? If it is going up in value surely man maths dictates you buy it now.......keep it in the box.........and if you still love it when your mortgage is paid off - buy it from yourself for a discount :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
The good news is that Submariners, DayDates and frankly DateJusts are quite tricky to get a hold of :) So it isn't like you can just walk in and buy one!
Grey market you can get one of pretty much anything immediately, you just have to pay the extra.

If your wife wants to use it then best to buy a 36mm watch because unless she is an XXL lady a chunky 40mm+ watch will look very daft and very conspicuous on her.

Soldato
Can you buy it on "lease back"? If it is going up in value surely man maths dictates you buy it now.......keep it in the box.........and if you still love it when your mortgage is paid off - buy it from yourself for a discount :D
Why didn't I think of that :p

Hoping to have the mortgage paid off in a couple of years, so will revisit things then.

Hoping Tudor release a new black bay chrono, then might see some heavy discounts on the old one :D

Or maybe I'll just go crazy and get myself that speedmaster I've always wanted :p

Last edited:
Soldato
If your wife wants to use it then best to buy a 36mm watch because unless she is an XXL lady a chunky 40mm+ watch will look very daft and very conspicuous on her.
I'm not sure that's the universal advice it used to be. Jodie Kidd has an epic watch collection and I'd say most are the 'mans' versions. She wears them well and is very petite, albeit taller than a house!

Caporegime
I'm not sure that's the universal advice it used to be. Jodie Kidd has an epic watch collection and I'd say most are the 'mans' versions. She wears them well and is very petite, albeit taller than a house!
It's definitely the advice it used to be. Just because something has become more socially acceptable doesn't mean that large and chunky mens watches on womens tiny wrists doesn't still look completely daft. Jody Kidd 'having an epic watch collections' just means she has a collection of good watches, not that they actually look good on her wrist. Plus of course, it's easy to say things look good on beautiful celebrities, because, well, beautiful celebrities.

Last edited:
Associate
Treated myself to an Epix Gen 2..

LufvJBuh.jpg

Soldato
There's a fashion trend at the moment where women wear larger size sports watches (ie 40mm+ dive watches etc), usually on a bracelet, but unlike men they wear them looser so being treated more like a bracelet. How long it lasts, who knows... it's 'fashion' lol

Soldato
I've got a cheap Skagen watch with its rubber strap. I find the strap quite uncomfortable and was wondering if there's any good, inexpensive replacements I can get for the watch. It's a 20mm width watch strap. I've found a few cheap ones (less than £10) on Amazon and are made of nylon. Are there any good sites for a decent watch strap or should I just get a cheap band as its only a Skagen and gets worn once or twice a week when I go to London?

Caporegime
There's a fashion trend at the moment where women wear larger size sports watches (ie 40mm+ dive watches etc), usually on a bracelet, but unlike men they wear them looser so being treated more like a bracelet. How long it lasts, who knows... it's 'fashion' lol
Yup, temporary fad. I do get it though, women have a terrible choice and range of watches designed for women, with the vast majority of watches on the market being designed for men. makes sense they want to wear the cool stuff, even if much of it does look far too oversized and thus silly on them.

Women represent 50% of the world and it seems like one hell of an untapped market if watchmakers can get their act in gear and start translating a few of their best mens watches to them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, temporary fad. I do get it though, women have a terrible choice and range of watches designed for women, with the vast majority of watches on the market being designed for men. makes sense they want to wear the cool stuff, even if much of it does look far too oversized and thus silly on them.

Women represent 50% of the world and it seems like one hell of an untapped market if watchmakers can get their act in gear and start translating a few of their best mens watches to them.
Personally I'm of the view that companies could easily do 2 sizes of most watches, say a 36mm and a 40mm. It's been a bit annoying of late to see a nice watch with some colour on the dial only to find it's ONLY coming as a '36mm' watch which just looks far too small on my 8 inch wrist.... yes 36mm and the colour in most cases will likely be aimed more at women but some men with larger wrists wouldn't say no to a nice bit of colour too....

Watches are still far to segregated in terms of product essentially.

Back
Top Bottom