What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Thanks guys. I agree it would be beautiful with a little bit of love.

As you've recommended, I contacted WatchRepairUK - unfortunately they won't work on vintage watches.

Also contacted STS - they say it's not a brand they deal with after recent Breitling accreditation changes, and given the age I should take it directly to a Breitling store.
That is a shame.

I'd be surprised if Breitling can actually help you with bring sympathetic towards this watch. If they're anything like Rolex, it's better to go to an independent who works on watches of this age for their bread and butter.

I'll ask on a watch forum I'm on. You can no longer sign up for it unfortunately, but there are a lot of very knowledgeable folk on there.

I recommend holding off on taking it to Breitling, but of course no harm in asking them. My experience with an anadigi service with them was horrendously expensive. With a watch like yours though, there's no reason to be tied to the manufacturer as it's only in recent years they limited parts to specific repairers etc.

I'll ask around. I think it's a 1-260 from the 1950s, but I'm not au fait with these.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you clarify what is wrapped around the hands? It looks like fine copper wire or hair? That is unlikely to be helping! But the fix job may be simpler if it's jammed up rather than a bunch of failed stuff in the movement. I don't recommend fighting with whatever it is though, leave that to the watch repairer.

Associate
I can't be sure, but I would think it's just human hair. The case is particularly loose and can be rotated to adjust the timezone/city very freely, it wouldn't be the least bit water resistant. It's likely that with the loose case there's plenty of debris including hair inside.

Definitely says 1-260 on the back.

Thanks for your help!

Soldato
Found an old 1960s Breitling among my fathers possessions. He wants to get rid of it but not sure where to begin. It's clearly seen better days, although underneath the dirt the condition looks very good. It's not functioning and would need a service alongside a clean.

Any tips on selling?

Pretty much identical watch for sale on chrono24 at the moment.

If you do get any quotes for a service / clean it'll give you an idea of whether you think it's worth it at least

Soldato
Found an old 1960s Breitling among my fathers possessions. He wants to get rid of it but not sure where to begin. It's clearly seen better days, although underneath the dirt the condition looks very good. It's not functioning and would need a service alongside a clean.

Any tips on selling?

Send me a PM. I have a few (professional qualified) watchmaker friends who might be able to help without charging you an arm and a leg.

Soldato

Any tips on selling?

I also have a 1960's Breitling -it sat in a drawer for 40 yrs then took it out one day and said I will get it fixed - So I signed up to this forum.

They told me to send it to Craig in USA so off it went -came back like a new watch - Just cleaned and a few new bit and it cost me £360 including postage which was £100 -So was very pleased .
Unfortunately Craig has now retired but I am sure members on the forum reccommended a watch repairer here in UK.
Just sign up -ask the question -put a picture up and they will tell you everything about that watch.

I like that one as well and never seen one before.

Good luck

PS - you want vintage breitling forum.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I am very much lusting after a seamaster 300 right now. I have a 2007 aqua terra but I want something a little bolder. Not a fan of the shiny parts of the strap on them though. I really like the James Bond one but they are serious serious money.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am very much lusting after a seamaster 300 right now. I have a 2007 aqua terra but I want something a little bolder. Not a fan of the shiny parts of the strap on them though. I really like the James Bond one but they are serious serious money.
The No Time To Die Titanium one?

Reactions: fez
Soldato
Just finished watching the second part of the series on Producer Michael's channel (third part next week possibly) showing round the Jacob & Co factory in Switzerland. Now whether or not you enjoy Producer Michael's videos or Jacob & Co's watches its facisnating to see the processes involved in putting a watch together. :cool:

Caporegime
Quick watch repair question. I gave a quartz Tag watch that has been sat in a draw for years as it doesn't keep time even after a battery change. Is it worth paying Tag prices to sort it or is it something a local repair place might be better at?

My wife gave it to me as an engagement present and has told me to get it sorted and wear it.

Last edited:
Associate
Quick watch repair question. I gave a quartz Tag watch that has been sat in a draw for years as it doesn't keep time even after a battery change. Is it worth paying Tag prices to sort it or is it something a local repair place might be better at?

My wife gave it to me as an engagement present and has told me to get it sorted and wear it.
I'd pull the caseback, check the movement number and look on eBay for new/reconditioned movements. Quartz often doesn't cost much.

I had the same thing with my original 80s Tag Formula 1, which I refurbished, installed sapphire etc for the wife as a birthday present, but it kept losing 30+ minutes per day, only when she wore it though. Was about to buy a recon movement for £30 when I realised the pseudoscience magnetic bracelet thingy she wears was causing it to conk out :D

Last edited:
Associate

Any tips on selling?

Hi,

Try http://onatelier.co.uk/

Olivier has just sorted a watch out for me, reasonable priced which is always a bonus. Just discuss what you are wanting done to it, just be aware he does get booked up for work.

Love the watch by the way, would love to own a Bretling.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom