What watch do you wear?

Thank you Derek I really enjoyed that video. I am always really impressed how someone can take something like that apart not alone make the parts in the first place

As for big watches Panerai L’Egiziano is also 60mm but definitely looks smaller than the Russian watch but you need to be an action hero to wear one

I quite often watch wristwatch revival on youtube but his videos are closer to the hour mark and he goes into quite a lot of detail in the process. It is impressive and I'm currently sat with an old cheap pocket watch in bits as i need to get a different tool to remove the second hands before i can have it completely striiped down. I deliberatley bought one with a fault so i could try and fix it.

I quite often watch wristwatch revival on youtube but his videos are closer to the hour mark and he goes into quite a lot of detail in the process. It is impressive and I'm currently sat with an old cheap pocket watch in bits as i need to get a different tool to remove the second hands before i can have it completely striiped down. I deliberatley bought one with a fault so i could try and fix it.

Have you watched any of this chaps restorations or teardowns?

I find his videos relaxing, a very calm vibe to them.

Last edited:
Have you watched any of this chaps restorations or teardowns?

I find his videos relaxing, a very calm vibe to them.

I've not watched them before but I'll give him a look. Thanks.

Found one of my old Sekio's at the weekend

6yXPRt6.jpg

Last edited:
They're tiny machines that sit on your wrist, accurate to with a few seconds a day solely through springs and gears, powered by the movement of your body. If you listen to them it almost sounds like they're alive.

If you get them serviced they can last a lifetime plus the smoothness of the seconds hand sweep is quite satisfying.

When you see how a watch goes together, it is quite incredible that it can function as @Sheff describes. Yes a quartz watch will be more accurate or a glance at a phone / smart watch will tell you all you need to know and do so much more but its the appreciation of how its made over anything I'd say.

This may help appreciate what's involved?

Depending on your stance, you can appreciate the workmanship, the history of the brand or as a status symbol.

EDIT

Also in a world where instant gratification seems to be more the norm, its nice to hark back to a simpler slower pace of life. Similar to where you see someone tinkering with an old car rather than having to rely on a garage to fix it for you by plugging in a computer.
Yea fair enough, both of these make some sense. I was just slightly annoyed when I saw a few good looking watches in a lineup and the best ones were automatics :p I don't want that. I'm still very much a watch luddite :)

That said, I'm about to shun smart watches in favour of a "just a watch", so my collection will start to grow soon. It'll be with a few "cheaper" watches though, probably from brands that are just a front to some Chinese-made cheapness :p

In fact, just to prove it, I have this I bought for my wedding and one of these is now in the post :D

Last edited:
A 1915 - 1925 ish 33mm swiss made "trench watch" which I've decided to sell.
Lovely thing, just wanted to share a couple of pictures. :)

I can't ID it, neither can anyone on the horology discord server I'm in.
It might be a Longines, but it could be anything really... I just know that it is Swiss made, 15 jewel movement, ceramic dial, blued steel hands, nickel plated case.

Curious how it does on auction given its "unknown" mystique. :p

GzmIz9k.jpeg

PEiQQJA.jpeg

XrbbUIz.jpeg

The last watch of this vintage I sold shocked me with the high price it went for, but that one was a Rolex with a Gallet & Co case, so a bit different to this. That being said, it was a smaller diameter watch which are usually considered to be undesirable compared to these larger 33mm-ish types.

Here is that one for the sake of comparison. :)

6XOVwWS.jpeg

yFY6rDL.jpeg

Last edited:
@Akagi I used image reverse search and got this from one of your photos

lt2d4Mr.jpeg

Unfortuntaley the item appears to be sold on ebay but possibly a military issue watch of some sort.

I had looked at that watch while trying to find out what this one is, unfortunately it is completely different. Different movement, different dial, different crown, and it is silver not nickel plated.
A lot of watches look the same from that time, its the movement that needs to be looked at to ID it really!

Appreciate the effort though.

New strap recently for my Garmin Forerunner 235 as the old one had cracked and was falling to bits.

The la croix still sits in the draw with a bust strap.

Back
Top Bottom