What watch do you wear?

I have noticed recently that there's a lot of Omega Seamaster copycats around, the Seiko and the Christopher Ward in the last page and i saw a Rolex as well that looks almost exactly the same, who came first with that design?

I have noticed recently that there's a lot of Omega Seamaster copycats around, the Seiko and the Christopher Ward in the last page and i saw a Rolex as well that looks almost exactly the same, who came first with that design?

they aren't really copycats, its just a classic diver style. Blancpain did it first and then rolex came out with the submariner..this was back in the early 50s or so.

As far as the Christopher Ward one is concerned - Rolex....

CW is only a few years old - they state on the website that the C60 is influenced by Rolex...

The Trident series unashamedly takes its design cues from the iconic 1954 Rolex GMT Master

Though its not like its a total copy of it.

For the guy interested in buying fakes - why not get a watch from a legitimate manufacturer in the style you like... if you want a Rolex lookalike then some of the Steinhart dive watches look even more similar.

Christopher Ward better than breitling? Cmon now, they are decent vfm but that's it, the level of finishing on the cases wouldn't be at the same level or the finishing on the movements

considering ETA do the movements for both there's prob not much in it... I don't believe either of those firms do much/anything to the movements themselves despite what their marketing suggests.

this thread is interesting re: ETA movements

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/49600.htm

Breitling and CW examples in the first post - both just the same Valjoux 7750 straight from ETA...

Last edited:
considering ETA do the movements for both there's prob not much in it...

You do realise that there are different grades, levels of finishing etc?

Ie an iwc 7750 based movement differs s a lot from a base 7750

Also breitling have some in house movements now and are introducing more

Cw are fine for what they are but people get carried away

considering ETA do the movements for both there's prob not much in it... I don't believe either of those firms do much/anything to the movements themselves despite what their marketing suggests.

this thread is interesting re: ETA movements

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/49600.htm

Breitling and CW examples in the first post - both just the same Valjoux 7750 straight from ETA...

Interesting thread here as well

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/my-sad-epic-tale-christopher-ward-325386.html

Qc isn't to the same std

Which is okay in the price bracket they compete in, but I don't agree that they are superior in any way to any tag or breitling I've handled f1 aside

that's just an example of someone with a faulty watch... you'll get that with any manufacturer

FWIW I wasn't stating X brand was better overall than Y, that was another poster, rather I was just pointing out they often use the same movements - even CW has used ETA's highest grade COSC movements...

and yup - TAG F1... am just gobsmacked that people pay 1k for that... :D

As far as the Christopher Ward one is concerned - Rolex....

CW is only a few years old - they state on the website that the C60 is influenced by Rolex...

Though its not like its a total copy of it.

For the guy interested in buying fakes - why not get a watch from a legitimate manufacturer in the style you like... if you want a Rolex lookalike then some of the Steinhart dive watches look even more similar.

Yeah, I already moved on from the fakes (read the subsequent posts). The more research I do the more stuff I keep finding. For example yesterday after reading around I discovered the Steinharts, and I find the Steinhart GMT Ocean 1 Black nicer than the Christopher Ward C600! Not to mention the Steinhart GMT version is half the price of the CW version, and uses the same movement.

Steinhart GMT Ocean 1

Christopher Ward C60

Please don't hotlink images, if you want to post them then rehost them on your own webspace. Thank you.

While the Chrisotpher Ward may be inspired by the Rolex, it certainly also resembles the Omega with the dial wave styling. The Steinhart most definitely more resembles the Rolex. While I would say the C60 Trident is more individual, the Steinhart is just clean and classic in the (as it's so close to a Rolex Submariner) way that you can just imagine looking at it each and every day for the rest of your days. In comparison, while I do really like the C60, it is just a tweensy bit too non-classic in terms of styling that I think I may one day start to tire of it.

Add to this that the Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT is 353 EUR, while the CW C60 GMT is a whopping 672 EUR... pretty much double the price... and in my humble opinion the Steinhart is the more expensive looking watch. The build quality i'm sure is comparable (though i read a couple of stories about Steinhart misalignment etc, easily exchanged though), with the main difference (aside from styling) being the 5 year warranty on the CW I guess.

This really has made me think now about my next purchase... I can really see myself with a Steinhart on my arm. Beautiful watch. :)

Add to this that the Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT is 353 EUR, while the CW C60 GMT is a whopping 672 EUR... pretty much double the price... and in my humble opinion the Steinhart is the more expensive looking watch. The build quality i'm sure is comparable (though i read a couple of stories about Steinhart misalignment etc, easily exchanged though), with the main difference (aside from styling) being the 5 year warranty on the CW I guess.

This really has made me think now about my next purchase... I can really see myself with a Steinhart on my arm. Beautiful watch. :)
Are you looking at steinhartwatches.de? Are we in Britain eligible for the 353 Euro price which is ex VAT or would we have to pay the 420 Euro price inc VAT at 19%?

I agree that the Ocean 1 GMT looks nicer and more timeless than a CW C60. Once the Ocean 1 GMT comes back in stock in September, I'd love to buy one. :)

and for even less than that there is also Seiko to consider:

tis very similar... and they're supposed to be pretty well made watches in general.

Are you looking at steinhartwatches.de? Are we in Britain eligible for the 353 Euro price which is ex VAT or would we have to pay the 420 Euro price inc VAT at 19%?

I agree that the Ocean 1 GMT looks nicer and more timeless than a CW C60. Once the Ocean 1 GMT comes back in stock in September, I'd love to buy one. :)

Anyone in the EU pays VAT. Anyone outside can pay the price with it off, or pay it and then claim it back. :)

and for even less than that there is also Seiko to consider:

tis very similar... and they're supposed to be pretty well made watches in general.

Looks like a very nice watch indeed... I'm very specific about having the traditional Swiss movement though. :)

Thought so. :) Wondered why you were quoting the ex VAT price. :p

Hehe. Just discovered there is also a Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage Red, which is basically the same as the Ocean 1 Classic, except without the magnified date window, which personally I didn't like as the magnified window seems overly large to me (see photos in post #2522 http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22349914&postcount=2522). Thus I have a new favourite... take a gander:

http://www.aramar.nl/b_296.jpg
3899327315_3fc0ecc5d1.jpg
Please don't hotlink images, if you want to post them then rehost them on your own webspace. Thank you.

It hasn't got the GMT function, but then again I don't really need that anyway. Lovely, lovely watch... maybe one day it will inspire me to get a Rolex Submariner. :)

Last edited:
I had the Grovana Coral Reef II (Steinhart Ocean One) and a Rolex Sub together a couple of years back. Back then Revue-Thommen, Debaufre, Grovana & Steinhart were connected somehow and had a few of the same watches, may still be the case. Anyway the Subs a bit smaller, but if I was honest and brand snobbery aside the Ocean One was not that far off the Rolex. Damn nice watch, great quality, strap, case & Swiss movement all good. I'd have another.

Last edited:
Hehe. Just discovered there is also a Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage Red, which is basically the same as the Ocean 1 Classic, except without the magnified date window, which personally I didn't like as the magnified window seems overly large to me (see photos in post #2522 http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22349914&postcount=2522). Thus I have a new favourite... take a gander:

It hasn't got the GMT function, but then again I don't really need that anyway. Lovely, lovely watch... maybe one day it will inspire me to get a Rolex Submariner. :)

oh my, do they have no shame ? can you get closer to ripping off a DRSD ?

Back
Top Bottom