What watch do you wear?

My latest acquisition.

DSCF0804.jpg

thats nice :)

Hehe. Just discovered there is also a Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage Red, which is basically the same as the Ocean 1 Classic, except without the magnified date window, which personally I didn't like as the magnified window seems overly large to me (see photos in post #2522 http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22349914&postcount=2522). Thus I have a new favourite... take a gander:

It hasn't got the GMT function, but then again I don't really need that anyway. Lovely, lovely watch... maybe one day it will inspire me to get a Rolex Submariner. :)

It has a plastic crystal which is very prone to scratches, altho should be easily polished out, just something to be aware of

It has a plastic crystal which is very prone to scratches, altho should be easily polished out, just something to be aware of

Hmm, do you think that theoretically you can get a real (even if its a lab-made one) crystal set into it to replace the plastic one for not too much money?

I thought he was talking about the little ball at the 12 position on the bezel ring?

Or maybe im a little confused. :p

No that's the bezel pip. Usually a little glass lens with lume behind. He was referring to the actual watch glass. There's three types, sapphire hard as hell but brittle, crystal not as hard maybe a little tougher and acrylic which is soft but pretty much indestructible. The acrylics not a bad thing necessarily, bugger to change and it does scratch, but easy enough to polish back up with some PolyWatch.

Longines Master Collection Chrono. Picked it up yesterday and managed a reasonable discount from the dealer so am happy :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well, mine is off back to Longines. Although it gets quite a bit or wear the leather strap retainers have worn very badly, one has actually come off!. 5 weeks to wait for Longines to turn it round. Even then they may not replace the strap! Does anyone have a good strap maker they can recommend?

No that's the bezel pip. Usually a little glass lens with lume behind. He was referring to the actual watch glass. There's three types, sapphire hard as hell but brittle, crystal not as hard maybe a little tougher and acrylic which is soft but pretty much indestructible. The acrylics not a bad thing necessarily, bugger to change and it does scratch, but easy enough to polish back up with some PolyWatch.

Ahh right I know what materials watch faces are covered with... I just didn't think he was talking about the actual watch face glass as it's stated clearly on the website that it's Sapphire Crystal.

and for even less than that there is also Seiko to consider:

tis very similar... and they're supposed to be pretty well made watches in general.

I am looking for a fairly cheap watch (max £200) and quite like the look of that Seiko. Anyone know where that can be bought new from a trusted source? I do not want to be sent a fake.

Alternatively, has anyone got any other recommendations for a watch in a similar style i.e. metal band and that will look quite substantial on a large wrist?

I am looking for a fairly cheap watch (max £200) and quite like the look of that Seiko. Anyone know where that can be bought new from a trusted source? I do not want to be sent a fake.

Alternatively, has anyone got any other recommendations for a watch in a similar style i.e. metal band and that will look quite substantial on a large wrist?

It's a Seiko SKX031 and discontinued about 3 years ago. There's was also a Pepsi version (blue/red) SKX033. If you like that consider a SKX007, which is a brilliant introduction to an automatic Seiko for about £120.

http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...007k-skx007-mens-watch-1167.html?currency=GBP

Back
Top Bottom