What watch do you wear?

Regarding Orient spring bars you can pick up packs of 50 for a couple of quid (eBay/watch accessory sites) or just get then swapped out in any half decent jewellery/watch shop on the high street. I couldn't be bothered to wait ordering online and think I paid £4.50 to have the bars replaced in shop store.

Picked this up today, Goldsmiths were fantastic in finding it for me (apparently, it was the last one they had) and they had it transferred to the store closest to me. Absolutely A* service, I couldn't have felt more welcome; they made me a cup of tea whilst they removed some links from the bracelet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks nice, did they give you a reasonable price or did you have to pay their price due to it being the last one? I actually found Goldsmiths in Cardiff very good when I bought my watch which was nice for what is pretty much a high street shop.

Picked this up today, Goldsmiths were fantastic in finding it for me (apparently, it was the last one they had) and they had it transferred to the store closest to me. Absolutely A* service, I couldn't have felt more welcome; they made me a cup of tea whilst they removed some links from the bracelet.

I agree, Goldsmiths offered fantastic service when I was buying my Omega, including a coffee for my wife an I while I spent quite a bit of time trying several watches on and then having the Seamaster I bought adjusted.

Will certainly use them again.

Looks nice, did they give you a reasonable price or did you have to pay their price due to it being the last one? I actually found Goldsmiths in Cardiff very good when I bought my watch which was nice for what is pretty much a high street shop.

I did pay their price but to be fair, I couldn't find this else where apart from one dodgy looking on-line retailer; the only other websites that came up were ones you signed up to and they then go and "find" the watch for you.

I don't think this model is in production any more (according to the guy at Goldsmiths when he called Oris) as it's the 2009 version and the model that kinda replaces it here, doesn't look as nice in my opinion.

Had a black strap with red stitching on the JLC but thtat is pretty worn now so put a chocolate alligator strap on it, prob will get a new black/red one made soon

really need to get the case polished, didn't realise how bad it was getting

p1010583h.jpg

Oris make some cracking watches but to me that one looks like a cross between a skeleton and part of the face is missing.
But enjoy your watch.

True, the description is "Skeleton" but by definition it isn't, as not all the moving parts of visible but I think that's what attracts me to this model; I find skeletons can be too "busy" looking.

was a bit disgusted with state of watch in that pic a few mins ago, had 15 mins at polishing it up, quite an improvement but needs more

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6273/p1010586y.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how you're polishing so this might not be needed, but be careful if you're leaving the glass (especially if synthetic sapphire or similar) and buttons in. Can make for sad faces.

My Panerai like Rottys watch has a polished rim round the glass and it has quite a few fine scratches on it. Any recommendations of some polish to take those fine scratches out ? Otherwise I might just use a felt polishing bit for a dremel and use some very light polishing soap.

My Panerai like Rottys watch has a polished rim round the glass and it has quite a few fine scratches on it. Any recommendations of some polish to take those fine scratches out ? Otherwise I might just use a felt polishing bit for a dremel and use some very light polishing soap.

Without the proper equipment your best bet is the Dremel with mini polishing mop and polishing compound. If you can tape up the glass and the rest of the case you are not polishing.

I've been working on this...

The problem is that Orient use 1.6mm diameter spring bars (and 1.6 seems to be custom made or something as I can't find them online) which I bent going down a waterslide

The only other standard diameter that would fit the strap are 1.5mm

I ordered the next standard size up, four 1.8mm spring bars (£1 from the bay) and they barely just don't fit in the strap by .05mm without the hole on the strap being bored/reamed out.

So I took it to a jewelers who sent it to a watch repair place and it seems they just put on 1.5mm spring bars and charged me £12.50 for the privilege :(

I might be wrong but it seems like an engineer firm would need to carefully bore out the strap unless there are ideally 1.75mm spring bars out there

If 1.6mm is needed it would be easier to turn down a 1.7mm spring bar in a lathe and collet. 2 mins of a job. I know you probably won't have access to a lathe but the watchmaker could have done this if asked.

I will see if we have 1.6mm spring bars at work, what is the length?

Last edited:
True, the description is "Skeleton" but by definition it isn't, as not all the moving parts of visible but I think that's what attracts me to this model; I find skeletons can be too "busy" looking.

Congratulations Mekrel, nice watch! It's genius from Oris as that is an ETA 2824 without a dial. Saves them a fortune! It's nice to be able to see the dial side so clear though as apposed to the case back.

Without the proper equipment your best bet is the Dremel with mini polishing mop and polishing compound. If you can tape up the glass and the rest of the case you are not polishing.

I'd also recommend Cape Cod polishing cloths. You can just tear a little bit off and use a wooden toothpick to polish the bezel. It does a great job. Don't use it on anything gold plated though!

You can tape up the glass if you want but it couldn't scratch a mineral crystal so I doubt it'd upset sapphire.

I'm not sure how you're polishing so this might not be needed, but be careful if you're leaving the glass (especially if synthetic sapphire or similar) and buttons in. Can make for sad faces.

just using cape cod cloths, would never use a buffing tool, leave that for the experts :)

Ok guys, I wear an Omega Seamaster Quartz for my everyday and am looking for something a bit more "one-off" for around £2k USED. I am also after an Omega for my good wife.

Would you say the best place to buy used is Blowers? Or is there anywhere else? Also what watch do you think i should go for?

:)

Back
Top Bottom