What watch do you wear?

Actually you'll find that a Full service is every 2 years with an intermediate service inbetween. All on 10k/1yr intervals and it'll almost certainly be on a whatever comes sooner basis. I find it hard to believe that Toyota would say it's okay to drive around for 5 years with the same oil just because you've done under 10,000 miles. Use the Toyota online service quote tool, if the car is 5 years old it will give you the 5 year service option regardless of mileage.

Sorry, sooner not later! But I don't need to a service for 2 years, which is what I meant. Getting myself muddled with this here, but I (not speaking for others) don't need a service for 2 years because I only do 8000 miles. That bit was what I meant. Albeit it is a little off topic.

Anyway. :)

p.s. my mindset is that I wouldn't buy an expensive watch thinking it would hold it's value or make a profit when I come to sell it after servicing costs. My mind set is that, if I were to buy it, I treat it as a piece of art and pay whatever it costs and forget about its value.

What is the mind set of a Rolex or Omega or expensive watch owner be?

Last edited:
What is so special about the Tissot that you don't want to wear it every day?

I'd rather wear the less expensive of the two on a daily basis for work and leisure - Makes sense no?

The day I buy a more expensive watch is the day the Tissot will end up switching between it and the Seiko as a daily.

That day will probably be when I discover a scratch on the Tissot :p

I did intend on getting the C7 Rapide in the January sale but they didn't have it in there. I love that design. Maybe I'll treat myself in the near future.

Last edited:
Sorry, sooner not later! But I don't need to a service for 2 years, which is what I meant. Getting myself muddled with this here, but I (not speaking for others) don't need a service for 2 years because I only do 8000 miles. That bit was what I meant. Albeit it is a little off topic.

Anyway. :)

No the interval is 12 months or 10k, you need to service every 12 months even if you do 4k or whatever in a year. If Toyota didn't charge for the datasheet I could show you! If you ask for a service quote on a 1.8 SR Yaris with 20k miles but made in 2008, it will show you the option for a 50k/5 year service on the website.

ANYWAY :)

People who buy Omega, TAG, Breitling etc should know that their watch will never hold its value. It depreciates and bottom out just like a car. Only certain models such as certain Rolex SS sports models buck this trend due to Rolex's ridiculous annual price rises.
Omega's seem to be following the Rolex trend, isn't the Planet Ocean around £3500 now but could be had only a few years back for approx. £2200. Trying to price themselves into a higher bracket.

Hence I refer to buying a watch like treating it like buying a piece of art. You pay whatever you think it is justified for something you love. However if you start breaking it down and thinks "keeping its value", looking at it closely, unless the value of the watch increases more than the cost of servicing itself. That would be the only way it is keeping its value.

I think many watch owners see it differently. Back in the Day when I was doing well I wanted to replace my SS Daytona with a WG Daytona, I just could not live with the fact that it would depreciate 5k+ the day I walked out of the shop and I knew it would be a massive pain in the **** to sell on. So I never bought my self one. I did think about buying secondhand but never did int he end.

I have had about £35k worth of watches over the years and have got every penny back selling them. So I have managed to enjoy having many different nice watches without it costing me much / anything.

Omega's seem to be following the Rolex trend, isn't the Planet Ocean around £3500 now but could be had only a few years back for approx. £2200. Trying to price themselves into a higher bracket.

The new planet ocean has an in house movement that is COSC certified as well as a ceramic bezel, compared to the older 2500 model theres quite a big difference in build quality. The RRP on a bracelet for a SS PO is £3950, or £3800 for the orange bezel model. Omega are pushing hard to up their image and move into Rolex territory.

You say that but once you get a nice watch you'll wonder why you ever said it. I was the same for 11 years after losing my Timex and getting a phone then just CBA-ing with watches up until now when I looked around and found something that I liked the look of.

As said elsewhere, every man should have a watch :D

Well said.
I also didn't have a watch for years and just used mobile phones for the time. Since getting my Seiko I am absolutely hooked and am seriously having to stop myself dropping a fair amount of cash on another.

That's the one I've been looking at today!

I too am tempted but I've now told myself that if I do get something else it should be unusual but not rubbish either. Looking at some of the makers on watchismo I notice some nice designs but also a lot of horrible ones:

T0166a.jpg

Got crown anyone?? :p

I have a nice chrono and a nice auto so if I do get another it should be something unusual!

e: My Seiko is now boxed up ready to post to Maidenhead to be repaired :eek:

What are peoples views of the TAG Heuer Monaco range?

I absolutely want a Monaco Calibre 36. Since I was young I have always liked the Monaco design, the link to Le Mans 24 and the Gulf colors of this 36 model finish it off.

8407053356_3897b861b4_z.jpg

I quite like that Tag...

I found a watch with an AP-style case and I'm planning on installing a custom dial and automatic movement, but in the meantime I stuck a "tissot" dial I got free, and relumed the hands. The clear caseback really shows off the quartz movement :p

4 second exposure makes the lume look ridiculous, but it is c3 stuff and it glows all night. Far left is a mix of blue and c3, the fakemaster planet ocean is blue indices and c3 hands, and the Audemars Tissot Royal Joke is c3.

21079-stable.png

21080-4-sec-exposure.png

Servicing sounds like precision workmanship in itself then!

I've contacted Seiko UK about my 5's broken day/date adjustment and they said because it wasn't bought in the UK I get 1 year's support from them instead of 2. I will be sending it in to them at Maidenhead to be sorted rather than send it back to Creationwatches at greater cost (and delay).

did the date adjustment work when you bought it mrk?

Mine arrived today - it's purrrty :)

It did, but then didn't the next day!

Seiko will have received mine today, will see how long turnaround takes. Cost £6 something to send RMSD. creationwatches said they can replace or repair it as well but it has to go to Sinagpore and will take 3-8 weeks :eek:

Edit*

Hmm perhaps I should look at buying a bracelet for the Tissot and just deal with it. Been reading about leather strap care and Longines say:

"Whether it is fitted to a traditional or contemporary Longines watch, a leather strap that is treated properly and cleaned regularly will last for between six months and a year."

I've noticed that because the inside my strap is cream leather (front is black), that the end of the cream part that rubs against the black when closing the clasp up has some black transfer:

rps20130124_151710_564.jpg

I can imagine 6-12 months later this will look worse even with regular care!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom