What watch do you wear?

Manufacturers will typically tell you every 5 years and with them directly. In practice it can usually be longer than 5 years and if you don't wear a watch everyday the oils will stay in good shape longer. Some people wait for signs of reduced accuracy before a service others stick to the book.

That watch has an eta 2824 movement which is one of the most used mechanical movements and any watchmaker will know it intimately and be able to get parts for it, to service it. So while Longines may suggest you service with them, there is no real need (when out of warranty).

Their site just says an authorised repair centre so I guess it won't need to be sent to them directly. What about seals and pressure testing, can most non authorised places be relied upon to do that properly? Do they also restore the finish to the bracelet and casing as opposed to just movement servicing? If so then it could all save a bit if money!

Black, black buckle, 24mm
Or even black with a thin blue stripe.

Will I need one of these little toolkits too?

I had a few bookmarks saved which had nylon straps like that will will check this afternoon. Maratac have them on their site for sale as well but buying direct is expensive at around £40 Inc shipping!

Mrk,

Where you get the strap from ?

Goldsmiths.

Last edited:
Their site just says an authorised repair centre so I guess it won't need to be sent to them directly. What about seals and pressure testing, can most non authorised places be relied upon to do that properly? Do they also restore the finish to the bracelet and casing as opposed to just movement servicing? If so then it could all save a bit if money!

as with anything research who you are dealing with, even a very modest watchmaking operation can depth test

The people I recently used do a refinish as standard with service http://www.russelltalerman.com/

They were recommended on TZ and I used them to do a JLC recently and was very happy with their service and they didn't try and pull the ridiculous 'it needs to go away for 6 months' routine some of the manufacturers do (presumably to justify inflated service prices). They turned it around within about 10 days. You can see their workshop too, which is immaculate and has every bit of equipment.

Cheers mrk :)
yeah thats more than I paid for the watch I think LOL.
Cant get it any more tho and I still like it

After looking at:
http://www.natozulu.com/content/9-nato-strap-instructions

I'm now not sure if I need a 2 piece or if the standard would suffice.
The watch definatley has sprung pins not fixed ones.
It's a DZ1198

EDIT: Couldnt find out what battery it was so opened it... cant get the bloody back back on lol

Last edited:
nato/zulu will work for any watch with bars

you need a spring bar tool to remove your current strap, put the pins back in, then thread the nato on

Timefactors do nice natos at not silly prices.

edit: having looked up the DZ1198, looks like the strap has a screw so you could probably unscrew it (or cut it off) and avoid buying a spring bar tool

Last edited:
My casio has arrived...Its ace :D

However I have an issue...Not having worn a watch for over twenty years.I can't decide on whether to wear it on the right or left hand?

Is it just a personal thing? What works best for you?

Could a mod start a poll please?

What hand do you wear your watch on?

Right
Left

I'm interested in what others are doing and are their any secret connotations in what side you dress on? :)

I am interested in a blue leather strap for the longines I am buying...

any ideas on a good one?

Also, do you guys change the straps yourself or take it to a watch shop?
If you change it yourself, what tools would I need? (might need to reduce the bracelet size as well)

Thanks

Strap changing tool (bergeon are the best)

Bracelet resizing is trickier and needs more kit, so unless you particularly want to do it, or balloon up and down in wrist size frequently, then I would get that done in a jeweller if I were you. For most people it is a one time only adjustment.

nato/zulu will work for any watch with bars

you need a spring bar tool to remove your current strap, put the pins back in, then thread the nato on

Timefactors do nice natos at not silly prices.

edit: having looked up the DZ1198, looks like the strap has a screw so you could probably unscrew it (or cut it off) and avoid buying a spring bar tool

Yup, took a little bit of effort and a bit of swearing at the thing but the screws came off, straps off, backs off, ready for battery and strap :)

Leaning towards a full black Nato now after having a look, £10-13 seems the standard price that ok?

2013-07-30%2016.41.54.jpg

same movements, similar style, pays your money makes your choice

tag bomb in terms of used value, don't know about Longines, don't see them much on enthusiast sites

My dad has an Aquaracer (Yao Ming limited edition) - It's a small watch and quite thin too which was nice but the material finish on the bracelet and case wasn't (IMO) that great, it didn't feel like a 4 figure watch should. At the time I had the Tissot PRC200 and I thought that felt more hefty than the that Tag. It's not a patch on the HydroConquest fit and finish.

I have a tag diver of some description which is now 18 years old and to be fair it is in very good order and case is excellent. Would i pay asking price for one? No

Back
Top Bottom