What watch do you wear?

You probably think I try and rain on your ebay links, and fair play to your for taking the risks, but that looks like a collection of fakes and cheapo watches, including the bracelet. Hope I'm proved wrong though because that could be a good bargain if all those watches are real.

Picked this up in Boston earlier this year

727011d1338771079-fs-movado-sportivo-lnib-$$650-obrb-2012-06-03-18.26.10.jpg

p.s. image is copied from web

I totally accept all rain, dude! I kind of bring it on myself, don't you think? They will all be a pile of crap. I was hoping the bracelet might not be, that would be nice. Not that I really fancy my chances much, but I really don't like the seamaster standard bracelet lol

That may be the case but the Sub I was checking out belonged to a member here and we both agreed it didn't feel as nice by comparison given the cost difference between the two.

No doubt someone will always disagree but that's the way it is.
Not that it matters now since I wear a leather strap on mine :p

Given the cost difference? To be fair watches costing 200-300 can have decent bracelets, but in general the rolex one is far better than most, 20-30x better? Of course not how could it be.

That said its an excellent value watch to own, as once you keep it 12 months or so, the second hand value reaches what it's cost you, not the case with the majority of other brands

I'm not on about the watch, more the bracelet. Clasp excluded due to the big variations between makes and models.

e: Used value aside, like some will say the Tag Monaco is not worth its retail 3k price tag, to me a Sub isn't unique enough to warrant its price either. At least the Monaco has uniqueness set down nicely since there aren't many watches that look like it out there.

Although uniqueness being subjective is a wonderful thing :p

Last edited:
I'm not on about the watch, more the bracelet. Clasp excluded due to the big variations between makes and models.

e: Used value aside, like some will say the Tag Monaco is not worth its retail 3k price tag, to me a Sub isn't unique enough to warrant its price either. At least the Monaco has uniqueness set down nicely since there aren't many watches that look like it out there.

Although uniqueness being subjective is a wonderful thing :p

The reason the sub isn't unique is because its often copied / homaged, like your longines among others :), also I think the Monaco rrp is gone well past 3k now, but I digress

In any event, regardless of your personal opinion a rolex sub is better value than a Monaco whatever way you dice it up

Last edited:
The reason the sub isn't unique is because its often copied / homaged, like your longines among others :), also I think the Monaco rrp is gone well past 3k now, but I digress

In any event, regardless of your personal opinion a rolex sub is better value than a Monaco whatever way you dice it up

Tag RRP's have shot up horrendously; they really represent terrible value for money now.

Oh there's no denying that. I realise value is relative as well but my point on uniqueness was because of this, the Sub watch itself looks and feels great, it should do, but the bracelet I didn't think was all that. But on the whole it wasn't for me even used,. the same goes for an SMP and it's because of that specialness (which is subjective!) - To me they both are too common, the Omega especially and if I was spending that kind of money on a watch it would have to stand out which the version of HydroConquest I chose does, it holds its own next to an SMP 42mm and Sub ~41.

Okay the latest model is too busy on the dial which is a bit of a shame but from a distance I know when someone else is wearing a Hydro, it's an easy tell whereas if someone was wearing a Sub or SMP I'd have to look closer to see if it was a homage or another brand because the designs are so close together (which isn't a bad thing don't get me wrong!).

Put it this way, if all 3 were £800 I'd still pick the one that looked and felt the most unique, not the one that's the most popular make though I do respect and understand the point that people will buy what feels right for them :)

Oh there's no denying that. I realise value is relative as well but my point on uniqueness was because of this, the Sub watch itself looks and feels great, it should do, but the bracelet I didn't think was all that. But on the whole it wasn't for me even used,. the same goes for an SMP and it's because of that specialness (which is subjective!) - To me they both are too common, the Omega especially and if I was spending that kind of money on a watch it would have to stand out which the version of HydroConquest I chose does, it holds its own next to an SMP 42mm and Sub ~41.

Okay the latest model is too busy on the dial which is a bit of a shame but from a distance I know when someone else is wearing a Hydro, it's an easy tell whereas if someone was wearing a Sub or SMP I'd have to look closer to see if it was a homage or another brand because the designs are so close together (which isn't a bad thing don't get me wrong!).

Put it this way, if all 3 were £800 I'd still pick the one that looked and felt the most unique, not the one that's the most popular make though I do respect and understand the point that people will buy what feels right for them :)

I disagree with you entirely. If all 3 were £800 I'd take the Sub. It's build quality, classic look and bracelet design is miles ahead of a Hydroconquest, and ahead of a SMP.

Difference of opinion of course but IMO the SMP looks far nicer and feels nicer than a Sub.

Clasp aside of course. The glide lock clasp is a wonderful thing from Rolex.

I disagree with you entirely. If all 3 were £800 I'd take the Sub. It's build quality, classic look and bracelet design is miles ahead of a Hydroconquest, and ahead of a SMP.

If I had to make a choice on looks I'd take the SMP over the SUB and would not even consider the Hydro. Which just shows how subjective the choice is, "each to there own". :)

If I had to make a choice on looks I'd take the SMP over the SUB and would not even consider the Hydro. Which just shows how subjective the choice is, "each to there own". :)

Aesthetically, yes its each to their own; however it's not subjective when one watch is priced at £800 and another is priced at over £5k. Rolex no doubt have a massive profit margin, but its more expensive for a reason, and I'm not speaking as some sort of Rolex fan boy, I've owned all 3 brands.

While Rolex movements are the most mass produced of the in-house (not based on stats so may be off), they are much more interesting than the brilliant but humble Eta. I think it is a bit of a meaningless comparison really, comparing to other 2824 based watches is like for like.

Back
Top Bottom