What watch do you wear?

to be fair, GSX can take the olive nato, and I will have the rest, :D

let me know how much I owe you postage :D

No problem!

Can you guys Trust me your address details and I'll get it all posted Tuesday :)

Also say £2 for P&P?

Recommendations for a cheap simple watch for around 50-100 gbp? I am looking for the following:-

Polished silver case.
Brown leather strap (or a strap that is easily changed to this).
Simple face (no chrono dials, although date window wouldn't be a deal breaker)
White/silver face.

Thanks all.

How about something like this: http://www.watchshop.com/mens-seiko...urce=froogle&gclid=CN-qwefklbkCFXMgtAodBT0AXg

Last edited:
I don't wear a watch most of the time because I wear it on my right arm and it gets int he way at work when I use my mouse. :(

Been looking at purchasing one of the Tour de France Festina Chronobike watches for when I go out though. Anyone got one?

Recommendations for a cheap simple watch for around 50-100 gbp? I am looking for the following:-

Polished silver case.
Brown leather strap (or a strap that is easily changed to this).
Simple face (no chrono dials, although date window wouldn't be a deal breaker)
White/silver face.

Thanks all.

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-seiko-watch-skk647p1-p99956533.html
http://www.watchshop.com/mens-seiko-watch-sgee07p1-p99935071.html
http://www.watchshop.com/mens-seiko-watch-skk645p1-p99932400.html

I don't wear a watch most of the time because I wear it on my right arm and it gets int he way at work when I use my mouse. :(

Been looking at purchasing one of the Tour de France Festina Chronobike watches for when I go out though. Anyone got one?

tsbo.jpg

The thing is best described as having a monster truck on your arm, I wear it all the time as an everyday watch as it does exactly what it says on the tin, the pic is life size btw... ;)

The only real issues with it are cleaning when you get oil/grease/blood/snot/****/dust etc. in all the nooks and crannies on it.

It's also not worth anywhere near the RRP. IMHO so make sure you get a very heavy discount if you do buy one.

I'd say anything below £100 just get it because you like the look of it, don't worry about brand names or anything else to be honest.

Could I put a leather strap on this? (sorry don't know much about strap interchangeability with stainless bracelets.

Thanks for these links, I really quite like these two. Although I have just seen the post above and some of the Breytenbach watches look nice, never heard of them though!

Okay awesome. Think I have settled on a Seiko 5 although I have taken a fancy to the black face rather than silver, decisions decisions!

In the mean time, what strap width do I need to look for to fit the Seiko 5; I think I'll try and get a black and a brown strap.

Thanks all.

Well guys, today I bought my first "serious" watch. :D

I live in the land of cuckoo clocks and watchmakers, so finding a nice range is always easy. I chose a big jewelers in a large department store I know (I decided no Ebay/online shopping), and went to try some on.

-------------------------------

First, I tried on the Longines Hydroquest 300m. I liked it a lot. Back to that in a bit.

Secondly I tried on a Tag Aquaracer 300m. It looked great in photos online, but there was just something about it on the wrist that didn't excite me, it just felt a bit "meh". It is perfectly sized at 39mm and classically (minimilistically) styled, but there is just a certain amount of detail lacking on the face. The strap is also very thin and feels more womanly than the other watches.

Thirdly, I tried on the Rado D-Star 200. As nice as it looks in photos, in the flesh it's a bit of an ugly duckling. It is weirdly thick and bulbous, and the aesthetics as a result are all off. It is also a little larger at 41mm. It was on my wrist for all of 10 seconds before I asked her to get it off of me... I didn't even pay attention to the strap.

So, back to the Longines with its' ETA 2824-2 movement. When I put it on again after trying on the other competitors, I immediately knew, as I had when I tried it the first time, that I had found my timepiece. When I first saw the photos I thought it looked nice... if maybe a little "old skool" in it's classical styling. However, photos do not do it justice, and on the wrist it looks simply fantastic. The styling is elegant and detailed with the larger numbers, yet not overbearing as a result; it doesn't feel crowded. The seconds ticker has a red dot on the end that not only provides a very nice subtle little detail, but also allows you to instantly pick it out on its way around the face. It is a watch that just has a distinct and imo distinguished look and feel about it.

Next, the strap. The strap is simply fantastic. it is wide and chunky so has the masculinity, while still managing to look elegant and dressy, and importantly the clasp seems solid and easy to use.

And the best thing? At £790 it was about 40% cheaper than the average looking and feeling Tag Aquaracer, and the bulbulous and toad-like Rado Dstar 200 which were both around £1250.

Some obligatory money shots:

In short: I am one happy horological camper. :D

Just to follow-up on my recent Longones Hydroconquest purchase, I cannot think of a better purchase I could have made in this price bracket. The design is simply stunning... uncomplicated and elegant and it really does look more distinct vs anything else I have compared it to side-by-side (one of my friends has an Aquaracer, another a Rolex Sub), yes including the Rolex which despite being a fantastic piece really does little to inspire me, probably because the design has been copied so much and so many homages exist. The Longines really does look different and individual, and the build quality and materials are clearly of very good quality. The strap also looks fantastic with it's polished centre and matte outer links. It also seems to be keeping very good time.

It is getting many complimentary comments and glances from both guys and girls, which considering I live in the land where nice Swiss watches are "common as muck" and usually given to people for finishing university etc is testimony to it's design. Very, very happy with it, and I feel like the Longines Hydroconquest is the kind of piece for the discerning buyer that has weighed up all the options, done some research, and decided to forego the usual more popular Swiss brands in its class like Tag etc in favour of a respectable watchmaker with a long and rich history that makes great looking and solid timepieces for a surprisingly reasonable price.

A nice touch was also that I originally found it hard to get a good bracelet fit, so I contacted Longines and they immediately responded and very courteously sent a half-link to the place I bought it from, which was then fitted sharpish and the watch is now a great fit on my wrist.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom