What watch do you wear?

Associate
Am I mental thinking this is cool in a retro geek way?

!BfWpIR!Bmk~$(KGrHqIH-CQErhemV3wWBL!7ySquOQ~~_3.JPG

New old stock from the 70s for about £89

Caporegime
A terrible photo of my SYM (its extremely hard to hold a gripped DSLR with a 28-70 and flash gun one handed :p ). Also it has a droopy end link due to the wrong size spring bar being used at the moment! The finish on the case and strap is superb for a watch in this price range.

DSC_0690.JPG

What model is that mike?

I want a new Quartz/Kinetic watch that looks like that.

Soldato
It's an early Kinetic, 3rd gen. SMY001P if I'm not mistaken. Similar available new would be a SKA371, though a bit chunkier and no day date.

eglm.jpg

Bang on there, mine is a 2000 SMY001P, the only thing is i have replaced the standard jubilee bracelet with a seiko super oyster bracelet. The ska371 is the nearest design you can buy new, but as said, its chunkier, not in a good way though. Although being larger and heavier, it doesn't have the same quality and feels hollow compared to the SYM.

Black bezel versions of all 3 generations are getting very hard to find, collectors are holding on to them. The other colours crop up every now and again on the bay and go anywhere from £70-£150. I would expect to pay £250 for a black SYM with oyster. If you ever find a SKJ045P (black bezel & titanium case/strap) BUY IT, its really bloody rare :D

Soldato
Funny that, a SMY001P on the original jubilee went up for sale on TZ-UK last month. Asking was £150 iirc. Interesting they used sapphlex crystal on those, definitely getting collectable. I had the SKA371, ok solid watch lacking a little in finesse I agree. Also had a "Caesar" SKA383P1 kinetic, now that was a nice watch, but massive to wear.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also have a blue SKJ on a solid link jubilee, but i've currently lost this to a family member :p

As far as i know the SMY is the only ISO certified one out of the 3 generations, it also uses sapphlex glass which is incredible, and is of course liOn, unlike the old capacitors in the SHF/SKJ. Although you can upgrade the battery in the gen 2's with LiOn (i did this and its easy peasy!)

I think i've posted these in here before, but have them again!

DSC_0551.JPG
DSC_0565.JPG

DSC_0550.JPG

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Last hour at work and reading up on watchmaker histories in general. Appears Longines have the oldest registered logo of a watchmaker (1832) with a long history of innovations and awards and time keeping in aviation/Olympics.

Didn't realise they went back quite that far! The name "Es Longines" means Long Meadows, which is where their first proper factory was in Switzerland. :cool:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You can do it yourself with a careful hand and a paperclip sized instrument (one with a handle!). The pins push out only one way, make note of the arrows on the underside of each link.

Or you can pay a jeweller to do it for you, should cost a few £ or free from a local place who is feeling nice.

Caporegime
You can do it yourself with a careful hand and a paperclip sized instrument (one with a handle!). The pins push out only one way, make note of the arrows on the underside of each link.

Or you can pay a jeweller to do it for you, should cost a few £ or free from a local place who is feeling nice.

I've done it with a paperclip and the bottom of a pint glass :p

Back
Top Bottom