What watch do you wear?

Associate
I really like the Christopher Ward range, and pricing wise they seem great, for a real decent quality watch. I am thinking of grabbing the C3 Malvern:

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/view-all-mens-watches/malvern-collection/c3sst-mk2.html

But thinking of putting a silicon/rubber dive strap on it, what's everyones opinion (I am still young, so gives a mix of youth as well as a nice face)...will use the leather strap on dress occasions, which come few and far between. Just seems a bit of a upgrade to my current Casio G Shocks.

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/straps/mens-strap/silicon-strap/c11-mak-sxsi.html

Strap in question.

Cheers guys.

Soldato

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I really like the Christopher Ward range, and pricing wise they seem great, for a real decent quality watch. I am thinking of grabbing the C3 Malvern:

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/view-all-mens-watches/malvern-collection/c3sst-mk2.html

But thinking of putting a silicon/rubber dive strap on it, what's everyones opinion (I am still young, so gives a mix of youth as well as a nice face)...will use the leather strap on dress occasions, which come few and far between. Just seems a bit of a upgrade to my current Casio G Shocks.

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/straps/mens-strap/silicon-strap/c11-mak-sxsi.html

Strap in question.

Cheers guys.

Unless it's a dive strap on a dive watch and it curves around the casing meaning no gap then IMO a rubber strap on a normal watch cheapens the look (and ultimately the feel). What about a bracelet for dress and have the leather for every other day? It's a bit more costly but a much better look/feel :)

Soldato
They don't. As soon as you buy it (lets assume you pay full RRP) you will lose at least 20% if you tried to resell it the next day.

Buying watches as an investment is generally a bad idea, unless you know exactly which models to buy and where to sell them.

Unless you get a really very good deal, or don't buy new. I've found you can do OK if you're not buying off the shelf.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Where would you suggest buying from?

I'm not looking for an investment, just curious to know how well they hold there money .. Guys this is man maths here, if it will retain a large chunk of its value then i want one :D

Soldato

I'm not looking for an investment, just curious to know how well they hold there money .. Guys this is man maths here, if it will retain a large chunk of its value then i want one :D

It will retain a good chunk of it's money. The RRP is £3950 for the 8500 PO (or £3800) for the orange bezel version. Depending on condition they usual sell for between £2500 and £2800 second hand. I'd expect you to get at least 10% from any dealer (except Omega boutiques, who don't do any discounts). Bigger discounts can be had from buying off the internet i.e. Iconic Watches or by some good haggling at Authorised Dealers.

Associate
Quite tempted by this oddity if only it were smaller than 47mm. I've avoided Rolex for years (although I think I technically still own one unless number one son has lost/broken/sold it) but the fact it's wearing Panerai clothing rather appeals!

Quite intrigued by the "Special Notice" regarding the importation of Rolex pieces into the USofA.

Soldato

Sent you a trust message about where to buy from brand new.

Soldato
This watch is really growing on me, and I'm getting close to pushing the button, but thought I'd check for alternatives first.

kwxwFbO.jpg

I'm looking for:
  • Black (prefereably mat) bracelet/case and blue dial.
  • I'd prefer a bracelet, but can live with a strap.
  • 2 or 3 hands witn no chrono.
  • No date needed.
  • Would ideally prefer something a little less chunky.
  • Budget ~£200

Any alternatives spring to mind?

Soldato
Good call, but the Citizen is really the upper limit of chunkyness for me.

Also, does anyone know how difficult bezels like the one on the Citizen are to remove? I think I'd like to paint it to get rid of the numbers/markings.

Soldato
I'd sell a child for that rolex pam, mainly as it's different. I like something a bit different.

I've been told I can't buy anything at the moment. I might sell my Seamaster though and use that to get something else. No idea what though, yet.

Associate
Good call, but the Citizen is really the upper limit of chunkyness for me.

Also, does anyone know how difficult bezels like the one on the Citizen are to remove? I think I'd like to paint it to get rid of the numbers/markings.

Assuming it is just a standard rotating bezel (which is more than likely) it should just be a matter of applying leverage between the bezel and the case. I have a tool for it but you could use anything hard and flat - bearing in mind that you would need to take precautions to ensure that you do not scratch anything.

Back
Top Bottom