What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No need for a replacement bracelet, only the centre part of the links are polished. There's nowhere I can find that sells bracelets on their own so I guess you'd have to go direct to Longines or via an authorised repair centre.

Associate
Got the Christopher Ward C3 Malvern coming tomorrow, first 'real' watch other than my Casio G Shock's, using it for interviews etc, but may get a rubber strap for it as a daily possibly.

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/dress/c3mk2/c3swt-mk2.html

Heres a pic from someone else's review on the CW Forum:

B0C797FC-772D-4723-BB0B-330DD09F2DCA-660-0000007B72D440A3_zps53082dcf.jpg

Associate
Associate
Just a quick Q. to the watch afficiendos.

I've found a Bvlgari Ergon 40mm bracelet for less than £1k. I'm very tempted to jump on it, although I've never owned an automatic watch before. I'm assuming mechanical watches need servicing every few years ?(my current tag 2000 has gone 15 years with just a couple of battery changes).

What do these services cost usually?

What's your opinion on Bvlgari/Bulgari as a watch maker? Do you think I'd be better to continue saving for something like a Tudor, although if I've read correctly they both use ETA mechs?

cheers

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Service cost varies from watch to watch. My Longines was quoted at £400-£500 and that includes dismantling and cleaning the movement, replacing any components that need it, replacing the glass, restoring the finish on bracelet and case, restoring water resistance and calibrating the accuracy. You should service it when it's no longer keeping good time.

Essentially you get it back like a brand new watch.

Don
I agree, don't worry about set schedules, a watch repair/service after it goes wrong or becomes inaccurate will cost little different to a routine service

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Looks like someone on another board has simply used a scotchbrite pad to brush all the polished bits of his Longines bracelet, results look brilliant on his photos:

5FXSFK1.jpg

I will go that direction :)

Soldato
Looks like someone on another board has simply used a scotchbrite pad to brush all the polished bits of his Longines bracelet, results look brilliant on his photos:

5FXSFK1.jpg

I will go that direction :)

always looks fine in pics

close inspection tells another tale

tricky to get the top part of the links that fold, in sunlight it looks rubbish

i gave an old planet ocean bracelet the same 'treatment' once :o and that was brushed to begin with

Soldato
Avoid the scratch pens, (£3 on ebay) those and cape cod polishing cloths leave a right mess. I've recondition dozens of bracelets, depends how bad they are to start with. But will some practice and the right tools/technique you can get amazing results. Hardest part is keeping the finish consistent, I can always tell when a scotchbrite has been used. They leave little swirls at the end of a pass, you'll get better results with a Garryflex block. Like anything preparation is the key, applying the brush finish is the final part after polishing out scratches and careful masking. Omega SMP take some effort to get right with polished segments, if it's all brushed then a lot easier.

Associate
Service cost varies from watch to watch. My Longines was quoted at £400-£500 and that includes dismantling and cleaning the movement, replacing any components that need it, replacing the glass, restoring the finish on bracelet and case, restoring water resistance and calibrating the accuracy. You should service it when it's no longer keeping good time.

Essentially you get it back like a brand new watch.

cheers.

I've ordered it, should be arriving in the morning, hopefully before I leave for work.
The shop states they've give it a full once over and it's in immaculate condition and running strong.
One thing I have noticed by searching forums is that Bulgari seems to be one of the most hated watch manufacturer. I think it looks quite nice.
Reminds me of a cross between the old Seiko Kinnetics and Tag Kirium.

so fingers crossed for tomorrow...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom