What watch do you wear?

Soldato
There's talk that ETA will stop supplying movements outside the Swatch group (who own ETA).

That said, they've been saying that since at least 2005 when I got into watches.

Swatch group consists of: Breguet, Harry Winston, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, Omega, Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton. Calvin Klein watches & jewellery, Swatch and Flik Flak

Just in case you were wondering.

Caporegime
There's talk that ETA will stop supplying movements outside the Swatch group (who own ETA).

That said, they've been saying that since at least 2005 when I got into watches.

Swatch group consists of: Breguet, Harry Winston, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, Omega, Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton. Calvin Klein watches & jewellery, Swatch and Flik Flak

Just in case you were wondering.

Swatch want to stop it, dead, but the Swiss government prevented them from doing so, so they compromised and doing a gradual withdrawal. Hence if you look at Steinhart websites there is a delay in getting a lot of the watches, hence why a few other independent have had to switch to Japanese or Chinese movements already. Sooner or later Christopher Ward and Raymond Weil will have to too.

edit, Christopher Ward already started using Selitta movements in their watches, which is another Swiss movement. Although most people would say that even Seiko's movement is better than movements from Selitta, even if it is Swiss.

Swatch just want to make their own movements more exclusive. The thing is that before they own the market, every body bought the movement from them, everybody. There was never a problem getting ETA movements and Swatch makes money from every one sold. Now companies are starting using movement such as Miyota as an alternative.

Last edited:
Caporegime
.. and then we watch as the repair shops come out with "it was a rare part, it's going to cost you double what you'd usually pay"

Well, then you go back to...It was only £350 to begin with, equal or less than the service cost of a Omega/Hamilton/Longines. So spend another £350 and have another brand new watch, as opposed to a serviced one.

Since, it is only a "beater/daily"

Silver lining !

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Casing is nice, crown is nice, strap is nice but the dial is a bit cheap looking with the diamond shaped markers, standard white colour background and sunbirst silver mini dial.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just seen some Hublot in the flesh and they are far too blingy compared to in photos. £10k a piece or more. Madness. There are many Omegas on display too that look cheap compared to their asking prices.

Lots of tasty IWC though.

Permabanned
I am thinking of buying one of these.
http://blowers-jewellers.co.uk/iwc_fa_jones_iw5442.htm

I still think that Panerai are timeless but they are starting to get a bit popular and therefore flashy, it doesn't help that Jason Statham and others wear them, it is becoming a bit like Omega in that they are "the bond watch".

I really like the IWC I think it looks smart and money without saying "LOOK OVER HERE AT ME!"

Associate
I am thinking of buying one of these.
http://blowers-jewellers.co.uk/iwc_fa_jones_iw5442.htm

I still think that Panerai are timeless but they are starting to get a bit popular and therefore flashy, it doesn't help that Jason Statham and others wear them, it is becoming a bit like Omega in that they are "the bond watch".

I really like the IWC I think it looks smart and money without saying "LOOK OVER HERE AT ME!"

Yeah IWC are lovely, specially their more classic shapes.

I'd have one, maybe after the Pan.

Back
Top Bottom