What watch do you wear?

Associate
Very nice. Makes me want my Vintage Red to turn up quicker! The green looks much nicer in your photos than it does on the Steinhart website

It's no where near as green as if shows on the website, i thought it was black when i cacked open the box.

I'm after a nice skeleton watch if anyone knows of a nice one. Seen a rotary skeleton which virtually fits the bill but any others i should look at?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Wear out an automatic? They're made to be worn/wound as much as possible and any half decent movement has mechanisms in place to prevent over winding.

Also not all watches hand wind, like the Bambino. Rather keep it powered up and ready to put on and go than stand there shaking it about to build up a charge.

Edit*
And winders being so a decade ago? :D You realise automatics in principal haven't changed since their birth? :p

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got a fossil watch or know if they're any good? I'm looking at the fossil decker as an everyday watch, It's around £80 and don't want to go much higher because I'll probably manage to break it while I'm out biking etc.

Soldato
Wear out an automatic? They're made to be worn/wound as much as possible and any half decent movement has mechanisms in place to prevent over winding.

Also not all watches hand wind, like the Bambino. Rather keep it powered up and ready to put on and go than stand there shaking it about to build up a charge.

Edit*
And winders being so a decade ago? :D You realise automatics in principal haven't changed since their birth? :p

I didn't mention anything about over winding, in fact its impossible on an auto, due to the clutch.

what I am saying is that the watch has cogs and wheels made of metal, those cogs will get worn down over time, hence the need for a service on many brands,

when you place a watch in a winder it keeps it wound, and the watch runs as it should 24/7, casing wear and tear, that is not needed.

as for a non winding movement, how long does it take to shake it around and build some reserve before wearing it? 30 secs?

and winders, as most people on any watch forum will tell you, are so 10 years ago, when they were all the fashion.

but true WIS's soon realised the above was so true, when they had to send 3 year old watches for a service.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh I see what you're saying completely there don't get me wrong and I've previously read this good QA page and decided it amounts to what they conclude, that some winders can damage some watches so it's up to the user to determine what route they want to take I suppose at the end of it. That's why I got the 4 mode one, so it's not constantly turning in one direction and does take rest periods.

As for the 30seconds bit, aye it does take seconds to add some reserve but then if it's been 2-3 days you also need to set the time, then the date, well, it's the other way round :p

Last edited:
Soldato
what I am saying is that the watch has cogs and wheels made of metal, those cogs will get worn down over time, hence the need for a service on many brands,

when you place a watch in a winder it keeps it wound, and the watch runs as it should 24/7, casing wear and tear, that is not needed.
If you are worried about movement wear whilst wearing a watch, or it sitting in a winder then perhaps an automatic watch isn't for you.
It's similar to buying a car and not driving it for fear of wearing it out or getting it dirty.

The service interval on my co-axial Omega Seamaster is between 5-7 years at a cost of £340. So worst case that's just £68 per year.

I would much rather ensure it's running and ready to wear then spend 10mins re-setting it every few days.

Soldato
If you are worried about movement wear whilst wearing a watch, or it sitting in a winder then perhaps an automatic watch isn't for you.
It's similar to buying a car and not driving it for fear of wearing it out or getting it dirty.

The service interval on my co-axial Omega Seamaster is between 5-7 years at a cost of £340. So worst case that's just £68 per year.

I would much rather ensure it's running and ready to wear then spend 10mins re-setting it every few days.

Factor in potential repair costs after your 2 year warranty runs out. Doesn't always happen, but it can.

Back
Top Bottom