What watch do you wear?

Associate
My Orient Mako never seems as accurate on others here, I normally have to put it forward a minute or so at the beginning of most days as it loses time overnight. Any ideas?

Soldato
It's in my basket, hovering over buy.

This always happens, question myself as to whether I really need a new watch..

The only downsides of the watch is the minute/hour hands seem to be quartz and the seconds hand I think is automatic, so there is potential that it can be up to a minute out at a time, and the strap is tough at first, but seems to get better after wearing it a bit. Looks very nice though (In my view).

Caporegime
The only downsides of the watch is the minute/hour hands seem to be quartz and the seconds hand I think is automatic, so there is potential that it can be up to a minute out at a time, and the strap is tough at first, but seems to get better after wearing it a bit. Looks very nice though (In my view).

So in short, the second hand is moving independently of the minute and hour hand. Which means you can pretty much ignore the second hand (which to be fair, some watches don't even have them.

Soldato

Humm.. i don't really understand what you mean, however I'm not overly clued up on watches!

Soldato
So in short, the second hand is moving independently of the minute and hour hand. Which means you can pretty much ignore the second hand (which to be fair, some watches don't even have them.

Exactly this, yeah.

Ewaf I'm bad at explaining things, but I'll try:

The mechanism you see at the bottom of the watch is an automatic movement, an automatic movement is that when you move the watch, the mechanism winds itself up and makes the hands move.

The other movement in the watch is quartz, which is a standard battery operated movement in a lot of watches.

The minutes and hours hands are controlled by the battery, the seconds hand is controlled by the automatic movement, so if you don't wear the watch, the seconds hand movement will stop working until you wear it again, so it has the potential to be 59 seconds out from the time. It's not a deal breaker by any means, just some people like to have spot on accurate watches.

I don't know if that helps, or confuses you even more! :o

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So basically it's a Quartz "watch" but has an automatic movement just to move the seconds hand that has no relation to the actual clock part of the watch itself?

That sounds like the most waste of watch case space in the Universe? :p

Caporegime
Exactly this, yeah.

Ewaf I'm bad at explaining things, but I'll try:

The mechanism you see at the bottom of the watch is an automatic movement, an automatic movement is that when you move the watch, the mechanism winds itself up and makes the hands move.

The other movement in the watch is quartz, which is a standard battery operated movement in a lot of watches.

The minutes and hours hands are controlled by the battery, the seconds hand is controlled by the automatic movement, so if you don't wear the watch, the seconds hand movement will stop working until you wear it again, so it has the potential to be 59 seconds out from the time. It's not a deal breaker by any means, just some people like to have spot on accurate watches.

I don't know if that helps, or confuses you even more! :o

Technically, it will only be 30 seconds out, faster or slower :p

When it is 59 seconds faster, you can see it as 1 second slower!

Associate
Currently wearing a Casio G-Shock GR-8900A-7ER

GR-8900A-7ER_zps5d41971e.jpg

http://www.casio.co.uk/products/timepieces/g-shock/Product/GR-8900A-7ER/

Back
Top Bottom