What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Sapphire crystal is the 2nd hardest material after diamond so it's pretty scratch resistant.
What are you doing to it? Or, are you sure it's Sapphire?

Its all to do with pressure though, run a needle along the face of a sapphire crystal watch and you will get one hell of a scratch. They cut diamonds with steel blades after all. Sapphire crystal is still very easy to scratch, its just considerable better than mineral glass.

Caporegime
Very nice especially considering the price!

Is it a quality item of does it feel it's price?

Was there any customs charge?

TIA.

No custom charge at all, it feels great actually, it feels nicer than my £130 Seiko 5 Sport actually. :) Heavier and better built than the Seiko.

The only thing i have notice that is "cheap" is the noise of the pendulum, it is louder than the Seiko. I am using these 2 as comparison as they have a clear back.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
A quick test

**Edited to make it work. JG**

Yup I've bashed my HydroConquest against metal and walls at work and the glass doesn't even have a hairline mark on it. The bezel has a couple of very faint scuffs and the case did until I brushed those bits back to new again.

Soldato
I've never managed to scratch sapphire. Sure it isn't mineral?

Titanium although nice to look at and light is very prone to dings.
Perhaps it is mineral. Thought I remembered sapphire, but quite possibly wrong!

I wear it 24/7, so that includes DIY at home or on the car. Never remember to take it off first. And I'm a bit heavy-handed / clumsy.

There you go, it's this one, so is only mineral glass:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Skyhawk-Titanium-JY0010-50E/dp/B0012IR0U2

Soldato
Perhaps it is mineral. Thought I remembered sapphire, but quite possibly wrong!

I wear it 24/7, so that includes DIY at home or on the car. Never remember to take it off first. And I'm a bit heavy-handed / clumsy.

There you go, it's this one, so is only mineral glass:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Skyhawk-Titanium-JY0010-50E/dp/B0012IR0U2

That explains it then :)

Speaking of scratches.. my HMT Pilot has some how been scratched to buggery. The weird thing is I don't know how it's happened, I've worn it twice for only a short period of time. It is acrylic though should buff out easily.

Caporegime
Probably sacrilege but this is mine:

0001731_0_Product.jpg

Associate
7S4mfgr.jpg

Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 6

It was a wedding gift from my in-laws

Its actually quite nice, my only gripe is the kinetic charge. It often doesn't last the night when I take it off

Associate

I have completely caught the watch buying bug as I spend a lot of time browsing the internet (maybe its because I just turned 30?).

I absolutely love that watch and (first time that I have ever said this in my life) wish it cost a bit more! Getting a watch for a wedding present and would proudly wear that on my wrist but thinking about spending something in the region of £1000 - £2000. Any suggestions for something as beautiful as that for a slightly higher price tag?

edit- ooops quoted the only black and white picture.

Associate
Without going through the stupid number of pages in this thread, can someone recommend a watch box that stores about 6, for a reasonable price? Got one off eBay recently from China and it came with mould growing inside it :(

Associate
Without going through the stupid number of pages in this thread, can someone recommend a watch box that stores about 6, for a reasonable price? Got one off eBay recently from China and it came with mould growing inside it :(

Oh wow.
I hope you get onto them and get a refund?

Associate
Oh wow.
I hope you get onto them and get a refund?

They asked me to clean it and offered a 50% refund.. (Can you imagine a UK shop saying that? :D) I said no way, I'll take 95% partial refund to cut them a tiny bit of slack on the postage from China. They asked for photos, which I uploaded, and then they agreed to £95%. Wasn't expensive to start with, but it's unusable!

Caporegime
I have completely caught the watch buying bug as I spend a lot of time browsing the internet (maybe its because I just turned 30?).

I absolutely love that watch and (first time that I have ever said this in my life) wish it cost a bit more! Getting a watch for a wedding present and would proudly wear that on my wrist but thinking about spending something in the region of £1000 - £2000. Any suggestions for something as beautiful as that for a slightly higher price tag?

edit- ooops quoted the only black and white picture.

Is the wedding present for yourself or to someone else?

The closest looking IWC one is this one?

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/siderale/IW504101/

or

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/IW5044/

Associate
Is the wedding present for yourself or to someone else?

The closest looking IWC one is this one?

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/siderale/IW504101/

or

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/IW5044/

Thank you for your response, was it a little tongue in cheek? Pretty sure that the watches that you linked cost more than my whole wedding let alone the budget set for a watch. Wedding present is for myself (my fiancé wants to buy the present but acknowledges that a watch is something that I should probably choose myself).

Price point aside, both of the linked watches are absolutely stunning and I would love to own them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom