What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Of course. But when you look at the type of font, pearl, etc used it is quite clearly used to make it look like another. Heck even the high ends are starting to do it (some of the new Hublots look a lot like Richard Mille). But anyway not arguing just wish they would get 'inspiration' from elsewhere.
Absolutely Rolex are the most iconic and introduced many innovations. It could be argued the origins of the diver watch begin with the waterproof case on the Rolex Oyster. But it's worth noting other companies had early divers, the 1952 Blancpain Fifty Fathoms predates the Rolex Submariner along with its rotating bezel & luminous dots and bars. The diver design evolved over time, cues came from all over the place.

Soldato
Absolutely Rolex are the most iconic and introduced many innovations. It could be argued the origins of the diver watch begin with the waterproof case on the Rolex Oyster. But it's worth noting other companies had early divers, the 1952 Blancpain Fifty Fathoms predates the Rolex Submariner along with its rotating bezel & luminous dots and bars. The diver design evolved over time, cues came from all over the place.
That sounded like a wikipedia post ;)

Soldato
I spent far too much on a used Parnis from Ebay based solely on Raymonds pictures. I was always going to get a Chris Ward, but £60 is just too good a price to pass up. Should have gone new, but meh. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow.

Thanks Ray, I think! :o

Soldato
Random question relating to Christopher Ward watches. One of my watches stopped working last year so I'm probably looking at getting it serviced (along with getting the battery changed). Has anyone had their watch serviced before? I see that it'll cost £90 so its hardly cheap. Presumably its just a case of popping the watch back in the box and sending it all back to Christopher Ward?

Soldato
I sold my bi-metal Sub a few weeks ago :( Was gutted but it's only a watch. Had it from 2008 - paid £3800 plus a £600 trade in of my seamaster - got £4500 back for it so 6 years of wearing it every day and £100 profit ;)

The Ocean was £325 quid - And if you squint.... It's still not a Rolex :p

I'll always miss this though :

I just don't miss it enough to have £4500 hanging on my wrist that could be better used elsewhere :D

They are valued at 8900 now. I have one bought 10 years ago as a present from my parents. More sentimental value than anything else and I would never sell it. Lovely watch. They have a new version out but its not as slick.

Soldato
That sounded like a wikipedia post ;)
Most of mine are divers in one form or another. So it's not the first time I've had that discussion. The diver design origin and the Rolex influence on homage watches is a very common discussion on watch fora. I usually end up arguing Rolex haven't really moved on that much over the years. If it ain't broke and all that, but I do like to introduce the clever technical designs you see in the saturation divers like the shrouded (Tuna) Seiko's or the Rolex Deepsea.

There is some fascinating history on the first waterproof watches, the Oyster I mentioned earlier or others like the Omega Marine, precursors to the diver.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Loads of choice, watchobsession, timefactors, bablas, any well known jeweller will be able to order in for you as well.

Hirsch probably do the best bang for buck high quality leather straps from normal to waterproof and Crown and Buckle also do high quality and ship fast from overseas. They offer a wider range of leathers and styles as well. The smell and feel of C&B is richer, I bet the cow that once had skin was a damn fine cow.

Man of Honour
Steveo is brill for chunky straps (and a nice chap). Banda is great for all types of custom straps. I have a nice croc from him on my memovox. More expensive than some of the branded options mrk mentions but if you want something a bit special still cheaper (and just as good) as the high end OEM straps. http://www.abp-paris.com/ ABP are also very good but prices are a bit eye watering.

Soldato
Just been stung for import duty on the Parnis. Had to pay £11.58 on the website to release the watch. I wouldnt mind but £8 of that is a Royal Mail handling charge. The robbing gits :mad:

Soldato
I have just rescued one of my old Seiko 5's - it was losing 10 min a day so with bit of the tube help took mech out - sprayed it with brake cleaner - few spots of 3 in 1 oil and it's working fine - spot on after 24 hrs, Got another work watch back again - for how long remains to be seen - Had no joy with an even older Seiko 5 but might try again in future.

Kidloco.

I got stung £45 from UPS for vat on my own watch coming back from US after being repaired. -

Dave

Soldato
Just been stung for import duty on the Parnis. Had to pay £11.58 on the website to release the watch. I wouldnt mind but £8 of that is a Royal Mail handling charge. The robbing gits :mad:
I hope this hasn't happen to mine! It's been missing from my tracking thing, and the sender says it's been in London for about a week!

Soldato
I hope this hasn't happen to mine! It's been missing from my tracking thing, and the sender says it's been in London for about a week!

According to the tracking link the company sent mine landed in the uk on the 1st (Saturday just gone). Got the card through the door today. Paid it straight away and delivery arranged for this Thursday. Hopefully anyway, Royal Mail have managed to loose my stuff before after ive paid the duty on it.

Back
Top Bottom