What watch do you wear?

Soldato
I've just ordered one of these. I've never had a watch with a nylon strap before so that'll be a bit of a novelty. It looks quite different from what I have already. Three odd weeks before it arrives...

Don't hotlink images - Rilot

Man of Honour
the baisc idea is very nice but I hate the open part trying to make it look like a tourbillon

the number of ebay watches you see described as tourbillons but which are actually open hearts is amazing

I am not a fan of open hearts either. I changed the hands on my skelleton on the weekend and that is even more garish though so what do I know;)

Soldato
how does the blue look on that in person ahleckz? I can't decide if it looks too overpowering online! Fancy sharing a link where you got it from?

It's not overpowering at all, and I think it adds something to it. I wouldn't normally like a colour but it does work. Looking at it in bright light it does show up but if just glancing to tell the time you would think it's black.

I just got it from ebay, used.

Associate
Don't get the love for these parnis, they're just fakes, no. Fine line between fake and homage, but your not paying for movement, not paying for engineering quality, not paying for brand or history. They are all just blatant copies of other designs with no other redeeming features.

Oh and my steinhart ovm turns up tomorrow :D lol.

Soldato
I ordered on the 16th, I got carded on the 24th but i didn't get a chance to get it until on the 26th.

So 8 days.
Mine still hasn't arrived :( although I ordered from a different vendor to you. It's been almost a month since I made the payment! So I'll definitely be ordering from your chap next time! The last tracking info on mine was on the 25th of feb which was when it left hong kong, and the sellers communication is pretty hard to understand haha :(

Soldato
Don't get the love for these parnis, they're just fakes, no. Fine line between fake and homage, but your not paying for movement, not paying for engineering quality, not paying for brand or history. They are all just blatant copies of other designs with no other redeeming features.

Haha did look at the steinhart but IMHO it was just the same as the parnis. A half decent quality wannabe Rolex. Think mine cost around £73 all in and have to say for cash I think it's a very well made watch. The most I've spent on a watch before is only around £300 on an early seiko kinetic and the quality of this one is far higher. Not had the privilege of handling a pucka submariner so couldn't say how it compares.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If you really want something on a similar level of fit, finish and feel as a Sub but not want to pay the premium that comes with the brand then have you considered the Longines HydroConquest? Yes, I know someone will be along shortly and say something along the lines of "you would though since you have one!" and indeed I would, why wouldn't I?

Having seen and tried on a Sub and Seamaster 42mm (blue dial version of the SMP) I was happy enough going away that for less than £1000 I had a watch that felt and looked every bit as special as they did and the only difference really being that the movement inside was an ETA and not in house.

There are other watches too from micro brands that are equally good. I don't have any experience with those (yet) so search around watch forums for user experiences I guess :p

Last edited:
Associate
If you really want something on a similar level of fit, finish and feel as a Sub but not want to pay the premium that comes with the brand then have you considered the Longines HydroConquest?

You would say that, though, since you have one. :D

I really do not get the whole "but it's just a cheap copy" thing. Who cares? What does it matter? If you like a watch why should you worry whether it is a copy of something else? I have a broad range of watches - from a < £10 Big Pilot clone that I am wearing today up to some more expensive pieces such as my Laureus for Sport chrono - all of which I love for different reasons and bought on the basis that I like them!

NB that Alias Kim is quite interesting... I don't have anything orange.

Man of Honour
the only difference really being that the movement inside was an ETA and not in house.

that is in many people's mind a big difference. ETA movements are great and the 2824 a work horse but for those who are interested in the movements/history of the manufactures that can be a big part of the buying decision. Not taking anything away from your watch, I like it.

Haha did look at the steinhart but IMHO it was just the same as the parnis. A half decent quality wannabe Rolex. Think mine cost around £73 all in and have to say for cash I think it's a very well made watch. The most I've spent on a watch before is only around £300 on an early seiko kinetic and the quality of this one is far higher. Not had the privilege of handling a pucka submariner so couldn't say how it compares.

Parnis are very good value for money but I would argue that Steinhart are also very good value for money. They have ETA movements and the quality of manufacturing are excellent. I think they are both great at the price point they sit at. Steinhart make significantly better watches than Parnis.

They are not fakes (although I would be amazed if they don't share case components with some fakes that leave Asia) they clearly have Parnis on the dial.

Associate
Parnis are very good value for money but I would argue that Steinhart are also very good value for money. They have ETA movements and the quality of manufacturing are excellent. I think they are both great at the price point they sit at.

They are not fakes (although I would be amazed if they don't share case components with some fakes that leave Asia) they clearly have Parnis on the dial.

I couldnt be bothered to multi quote everyone above, so just used this reply :p

I was being a little tongue in cheek having just bought a Steinhart OVM (a milsub homage, and a watch im very unlikely to ever ever own aka 50k+GBP)

However with these parnis they are just a tiny step away from full fake. I bet the chinese production line where they are made (oh and anybody can make parnis because its not even a real brand!) runs off the proper fakes at the same time just with an the original logo. I wouldnt pay 2p for any of them.

Whats the point in buying a watch *identical* to something original, reminds me of those replica kit cars which are made to look like a ferrari but started life as a toyota lol.

Associate

I imagine that the majority of Parnis watches are made with exactly the same parts (with, as you say, the notable exception the dial), in exactly the same Chinese factories by exactly the same people as fakes. The difference is really one of perception but it would be enough, from my perspective, to make buying/wearing a Parnis "acceptable" whereas having a fake would not be.

Man of Honour
I couldnt be bothered to multi quote everyone above, so just used this reply :p

I was being a little tongue in cheek having just bought a Steinhart OVM (a milsub homage, and a watch im very unlikely to ever ever own aka 50k+GBP)

However with these parnis they are just a tiny step away from full fake. I bet the chinese production line where they are made (oh and anybody can make parnis because its not even a real brand!) runs off the proper fakes at the same time just with an the original logo. I wouldnt pay 2p for any of them.

Whats the point in buying a watch *identical* to something original, reminds me of those replica kit cars which are made to look like a ferrari but started life as a toyota lol.

I semi agree with you and personally have no interest in buying one. See my point in brackets regarding components being used in fakes. I don't remember IWC making an open heart Portuguese though ;)

Associate
Whats the point in buying a watch *identical* to something original

But you are making the assumption that someone buys a Parnis because they look like an IWC or a Rolex or whatever whereas, certainly in terms of Raymond, it may have been bought on the basis that they purchaser liked it. They could be blissfully unaware of any similarities to other watches.

Caporegime
I don't care whether it looks like another or not. Lets face it, 99% of these watches are not original designs, they all copy from one an other.

An Omega has traits of an Rolex, a Rolex has traits of a Fifty Fathoms, the difference is how much are the similarities.

There are plenty of Seiko watches that looks like Omega, Rolex and Fifty Fathoms, nobody call them fakes. The only reason being that is the company is old. If Panerai comes out with something resemblances a Rolex sub you lot would be jumping on it like hot dinners. The only difference would be they would use in house movements but if both the movement in a Parnis and a Panerai keep time as good as each other, who is to say which has a better movement? I can tell you that the Parnis actually keep better time than the Steinhart actually, so much for Swiss movement eh.

Personally I do not care what the name behind the glass says, the only things that matters are quality of construction, the ability to keep time and how it looks.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No it just means Steinhart probably didn't put much effort into calibrating the movement inside your watch or it received a heavy bump during shipping!

:p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom