What watch do you wear?

Soldato
saw one of these in a shop window

images_zps24201b11.jpg

bell_and_ross_ww1_heritage_zps160ae05c.jpg

was eek: for a few minutes

Last edited:
Soldato
Will.i.am wears the soon to be launched, wristwatch, which doesn't give a great cinnection live on television, but does make for an attempted marketting operation on live BBC.

Nice try, shame about the signal.

Soldato
I'm going to buy something as a belated 50th to myself but having difficulty choosing, there are so many nice options. I've spent the last few weeks going into jewellers, doing some research and building a short list and today went to get photos of them on.

Any views on these?
Nice short list - Photos don't do any of those watches justice, they all really nice time pieces.
My choice would be the Omega Speedmaster - It's a classic watch with an amazing story and history. Although I would go for a slightly different style myself - a darker bezel and dial colour. Which blue model were you looking at?

I used to really like/want a Breitling Navitimer but I look at it now and the dial is just too large and busy. Are all of those numbers really necessary for the average person?

The Raymond Weil would be my second choice but a with a different colour timer hand. The red looks cheap in my opinion.

Don't limit yourself to high street shops; these watches come in many different colour and strap combinations which they won't all stock. Check out the websites as well to find your perfect model.

dod

dod

Soldato
Nice short list - Photos don't do any of those watches justice, they all really nice time pieces.
My choice would be the Omega Speedmaster - It's a classic watch with an amazing story and history. Although I would go for a slightly different style myself - a darker bezel and dial colour. Which blue model were you looking at?

I used to really like/want a Breitling Navitimer but I look at it now and the dial is just too large and busy. Are all of those numbers really necessary for the average person?

The Raymond Weil would be my second choice but a with a different colour timer hand. The red looks cheap in my opinion.

Don't limit yourself to high street shops; these watches come in many different colour and strap combinations which they won't all stock. Check out the websites as well to find your perfect model.

The photos are junk, the speedmaster is virtually black dial :p

Blue Speedmaster Really nice on a leather strap but no photos of that one.

Breitling is stunning, doesn't wear nearly as big as you'd think, certainly not as big as the Tag. It probably also means I won't go for the B&W Longines, I'd be reminded of the Navitimer too much. The speedmaster's very nice but a bit thick, the Raymonmd Weil comes in red or yellow. The yellow's too much like my PRC200 so I'd stick with the red I think..

Soldato
Why? Not everyone is bothered about having the biggest brand names for everything and style is subjective. To me that's not the kind of style I'd like to wear, even for free.

I just think it's a silly thing to say. It's like saying, 'Oh a Rolls Royce is nice, but I wouldn't have one even if it was free'. Of course you bloody would, that's just an absurd statement. Why wouldn't you want a timeless piece of engineering and design?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I just think it's a silly thing to say. It's like saying, 'Oh a Rolls Royce is nice, but I wouldn't have one even if it was free'. Of course you bloody would, that's just an absurd statement. Why wouldn't you want a timeless piece of engineering and design?

Because I don't think it is. It would be a waste giving me one for free. Why waste something that has value to someone else when it could instead go free to them?

I don't like Rolls Royce cars either, not my style. Frothing at the mouth yet? Don't murder me out ;)

Associate
Because I don't think it is. It would be a waste giving me one for free. Why waste something that has value to someone else when it could instead go free to them?

I don't like Rolls Royce cars either, not my style. Frothing at the mouth yet? Don't murder me out ;)

I agree that even if you have loads of money you shouldn't waste it. But a watch is something that will last a long time and be worn every day so it isn't a waste. Enjoying your wealth isn't the same as waste. Buying lots of watches and harly wearing them would be.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Anyone have an opinion on this watch? http://uk.tissotshop.com/tissot-prc-200-automatique.html I've been offered a trade in on my old pr100 that they cannot get a strap piece for as it's over 15 years old. I understand it's a power matic 80. Are these reliable?

Powermatic 80 movement – Don’t remember seeing that version when I bought the PRC200! – Impressive 80 hours power reserve. The bracelet is good too, feels weighty and expensive.

I’d say it is a nice watch to have with excellent specs especially for the price. Looks smart and professional too.

Associate
Anyone have an opinion on this watch? http://uk.tissotshop.com/tissot-prc-200-automatique.html I've been offered a trade in on my old pr100 that they cannot get a strap piece for as it's over 15 years old. I understand it's a power matic 80. Are these reliable?

Google suggests that its a fairly new movement. Laser regulated too, so no manual regulator.
http://www.watch-insider.com/news/tissot-powermatic-80-automatic-caliber-ushering-era-ultra-precise-low-cost-mechanical-movements/

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Wow that's really impressive:

How good and accurate this new caliber is definitively will the next published COSC figures show. I have heard that Tissot easily could send more than a million Powermatic 80 Automatic calibers to Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres (COSC) to be certified. This would make Tissot the new number one company in Switzerland in terms of COSC certified calibers and kick Rolex from the throne. Rolex until today is the undisputed king of COSC and Rolex defends its position year by year by sending continuously more movements to COSC. That naturally does not automatically mean that Rolex also sells more watches. Click HERE to learn more…

Imagine! What a shame would this be?

You probably could also send the new Sistem 51 from Swatch to COSC and I am sure the caliber would pass the 14 days test easily. Only the costs for such a test will prevent Swatch doing this. No Swatch client would like to pay extra for a COSC certificate. A Tissot client however will honor a COSC certificate, since it´s a real proof of accuracy and quality. And a COSC certificate will not increase the price of a Tissot dramaticly.

Interesting times lay ahead then for mechanical watches!

Back
Top Bottom