What watch do you wear?

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
What is it with the fascination with NATO straps on subs? They look complete arse IMO. Like a 10 quid Casio - geek - but even less chic.

Have a NATO sat on the side that's the right size for my Sub and just can't bring myself to do it.

A Rubber B is tempting though....

GUy4ZDK.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That nato is truly horrible. The lume on the Pelagos is it's weak spot IMO. Great application but no way near as bright as it should be.
Really? :confused: This forum surprises me constantly. I find the lume very bright, brighter than my upgraded HydroConquest and that was bright enough and lasted long enough as it was. After 5 or so hours in the dark it's still perfectly legible in fact it's even visible in normal daylight if you move the dial into the shade...

I believe it's got some of the brightest lume this side of LumTec and is one of the highlights in reviews. It's certainly as bright as my friend's LumTec anyway and is the brightest I've seen on any watch.

I find good quality Natos more comfortable than a bracelet although I'll be switching between the 2 on this more often now having worn it a few days to see what it's like through work and play. Granted not everyone likes them but most people tend to only try out cheap ones and there's a big difference there.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well that escalated quickly. The Hirsch watch case I won in a compo and listed on eBay with a starting price of £25 had a mini bidding war within the last few hours. It went from £37 to £117 before postage costs :eek:

Halios now sold too, got £315 for that, bit less than what I was hoping but eh, as mentioned above, flipping at a small loss for the adventure in trying something else and all that :cool:

Soldato
Really? :confused: This forum surprises me constantly. I find the lume very bright, brighter than my upgraded HydroConquest and that was bright enough and lasted long enough as it was. After 5 or so hours in the dark it's still perfectly legible in fact it's even visible in normal daylight if you move the dial into the shade...

I believe it's got some of the brightest lume this side of LumTec and is one of the highlights in reviews. It's certainly as bright as my friend's LumTec anyway and is the brightest I've seen on any watch.

I find good quality Natos more comfortable than a bracelet although I'll be switching between the 2 on this more often now having worn it a few days to see what it's like through work and play. Granted not everyone likes them but most people tend to only try out cheap ones and there's a big difference there.

Maybe I've only handled it a handful of times so you could be right, but it never impressed me. The lume on my PAM351 beats the hell out of anything I've ever used. Unfortunately my photography skills are no where near as good as yours so I can't back this up.

The nato is still nasty. The only nato I've ever liked was a thick vintage leather nato, can't remember where from but it was v nice.

Soldato
Maybe you don't like them but many do and rightly so! They're built to last and the quality is there. I think it adds a sporting/tool like touch to an equally suitable watch. Let's not forget that many high end watches come with a Nato as the default strap and have done for decades. They're popular for a reason and we have our Military to thank for them.
My JLC MC Diving comes with a nato. It's never been out of the box though :p They're good on some watches, but most of the time I just don't like them; personal preference.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Each to their own I suppose!

Love the dial on the Pelagos, the way it looks like the dial is floating on top of the crystal when viewed at a sideways/low down angle. Reminds me of how Sinn watches look from an angle except without the oil filled dial. The sapphire is very thick on this so I guess it’s an optical effect that benefits legibility from any angle.

Soldato
Just to be clearly, I really like the Pelagos. It's a great watch; the only thing stopping from being near perfect for me is the lume and the "rotor self winding" on the dial. I've been looking at the Black Sheild more and more. For a ceramic chrono it's priced really well.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You should definitely spend a bit more time with one as the lume really is excellent. I don't think you gave it enough viewing time!

Soldato
Soldato
You should definitely spend a bit more time with one as the lume really is excellent. I don't think you gave it enough viewing time!

I had one on the wrist for half a day (borrowed from a supplier during a meeting!) I took this yesterday on my phone. I'll try and get one with the tripod and SLR at some point. This was after being outside for a couple of hours, sitting in my mums living room with no lights on. The lume is really impressive.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That looks similar to the Pelagos, except smaller lumed markers and green :p Though it's worth noting your photo there was taken at ISO2000 with a 1/10s exposure time at f/2.4. My last photo was taken at 1/50s at ISO1250, if it were the same as your shot the Pelagos lume would be brighter but mostly by a small amount by my estimation.

Looks good,

I owned many fossil watches, always liked them.

I don't know how some of you guys wear expensive watches though.... I scratch mine to ****. No chance I'd spend more than around 100 on a watch.

If it’s an expensive automatic then every 3-5 years (depending on what kind of use it has had) it will be in for servicing anyway and an authorised dealer service will restore the watch to new condition.

Man of Honour
I had one on the wrist for half a day (borrowed from a supplier during a meeting!) I took this yesterday on my phone. I'll try and get one with the tripod and SLR at some point. This was after being outside for a couple of hours, sitting in my mums living room with no lights on. The lume is really impressive.
[[/QUOTE]

I like that, it doesn't scream at you, simple but effective.

Soldato
That looks similar to the Pelagos, except smaller lumed markers and green :p Though it's worth noting your photo there was taken at ISO2000 with a 1/10s exposure time at f/2.4. My last photo was taken at 1/50s at ISO1250, if it were the same as your shot the Pelagos lume would be brighter but mostly by a small amount by my estimation.

I'll try and replicate your conditions, would be a good comparison; but also to note, we charged both the watches equally and the Panerai was brighter and held charge longer than the Pelagos. He bought his on the day of European launch though, so maybe they have improved it since.

My D90 sensor is knackered, it can't seem to handle anything over ISO1000 anymore. I need to get it sorted and take some decent pictures :(

Associate
I'll try and replicate your conditions, would be a good comparison; but also to note, we charged both the watches equally and the Panerai was brighter and held charge longer than the Pelagos. He bought his on the day of European launch though, so maybe they have improved it since.

My D90 sensor is knackered, it can't seem to handle anything over ISO1000 anymore. I need to get it sorted and take some decent pictures :(

also surprised as my pelagos is by far the brightest lume watch ive got in my collection.

Back
Top Bottom