What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
while the gshock is probbaly far more practical i mean the ones that have the thick leather bracer kind of strap thats wider than the actual watch face?

Oh yeah those things, you can get those for any watch really so your choices are virtually limitless :p

Soldato
That looks nicer than the other one.

If someone asks me to guess how much it costs though...it would be around mid 3 figures. (I know full well it isn't)

To be honest most people have no idea what a panerai is, or what it costs, its a good thing i dont buy watches to impress other people! :)

same with this one, to joe bloggs its just a nice looking watch, if i told any of my mates what it retails at they would call bull....

P1040250_zps59d3d19f.jpg

Caporegime
That IWC is lovely, I find white don't work in most watches, it takes a certain kind of design and colour combination but this one works. The blue goes very well with it. I like the discrete IWC logo, I like the size.

The only thing that bugs me is seemingly the after thought of the 2 smaller dials top and bottom and whether it was intention or not, the result is that it gives the impression of after they put in all the numbers 1-12, and when they cut those holes, it cut off the numbers. As opposed to leaving the digits out completely so it looks like it was designed with the smaller hands in mind.

p.s. I bet I can take a nice photo of it and make it look expensive :p

Soldato
The Oris turned up today and I'm really liking it, whilst it has a fair weight it doesn't feel that big/bulky.

The blue wave pattern really sets it off but can now see what was meant about having a watch with a polished strap, under a bright light it really does show up every little scuff.

Man of Honour
No matter how much you dress up your desires for these expensive watches, they are entirely 'ornaments' - they represent superiority because you can afford to spend so much disposable income on such a trivial thing.

Soldato
Aha! For I use the biological dictionary!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_ornament

I married my wife wearing a Seiko, and met her wearing a Casio, if I remember correctly.

Watches tell the time, therefore they are more than just ornaments. Luxury watches are just a luxury, just like a nice car. Gets you from A to B, but you just want to do it in style. Some make a hobby out of collecting and flipping timepieces, some just buy one and keep it forever. Some like inexpensive good value for money watches and build small collections. Nothing wrong with any of it and no one has to justify their actions for doing so!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I married my wife wearing a Seiko, and met her wearing a Casio.

Aha! For you do not note my use of apostrophes!

But seriously, I was drawing comparison to the use of ornaments in the biological sense, in the way that expensive watches are of little to no 'utilitarian' use (I quite like the use of that word in the Wiki article!), with the implication that their value comes solely from the fact they are expensive.

Take the peacock's tail. It's ludicrous. It makes them cumbersome and takes so much energy to produce. But it's 'admirable' because having a large tail is a stamp that you are a good survivor, that you can afford to waste your energy in that way. In the case of watches, I'd say that the energy is expended for social status.

Soldato
I suppose for some that is most certainly the case. All you have to do is go on instagram and look at some of the watch hashtags to see how people are trying to boost their profile. Though most of the time it's pretty pathetic individuals that want to do nothing more than show off. Rappers are the best example.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
How dare people spend their money.

This is certainly am outrage and should be addressed immediately. Someone needs to write into the Daily Mail about this pressing issue.

Back
Top Bottom