What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Have a wedding coming up and looking to buy a nice watch for the day. I'm wearing a blue suit/brown shoes/belt. I was thinking a white faced watch with brown strap.

Anybody point me in the right direction ? I certainly don't want to spend loads. I was looking at Parnis watches but don't know what quality is like and where is the best place to purchase.

I quite like the look of this;

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Longines/Master Collection/L2.629.4.78.2/3508/item/45947

I am not overly experienced with watches though.

However I recently bought a watch from watchfinder and could not fault them. The watch I bought (top of page 369) looked brand new. Despite being 13 years old.

Last edited:
Associate
I quite like the look of this;

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Longines/Master Collection/L2.629.4.78.2/3508/item/45947

I am not overly experienced with watches though.

However I recently bought a watch from watchfinder and could not fault them. The watch I bought (top of page 369) looked brand new. Despite being 13 years old.

That is quite a nice looking watch but £895. :eek: Parnis watches I was looking at were around £100. I should have giving a budget.

If I had £895, I'd build a wall around it. :p

Soldato
That is quite a nice looking watch but £895. :eek: Parnis watches I was looking at were around £100. I should have giving a budget.

If I had £895, I'd build a wall around it. :p

I don't blame you... Watch is the most expensive thing I own, bar my car. You want to wear it, because you bought it, but you don't want to scratch it.

First time I got a little scuff on it I thought I lost part of my soul.

Then you realise it's a watch and it will pick up scuffs, and they can be mended.

Hope you have a great wedding dude and find a nice watch!

Associate
Have a wedding coming up and looking to buy a nice watch for the day. I'm wearing a blue suit/brown shoes/belt. I was thinking a white faced watch with brown strap.

Anybody point me in the right direction ? I certainly don't want to spend loads. I was looking at Parnis watches but don't know what quality is like and where is the best place to purchase.

Seiko
Tissot
Larsson and Jennings
Skagen
Swatch
G-Shock

You're buying the case primarily at this price so just pick the one you like the look of the best - all the above are decent choices if you have to stick under £200.

Soldato
I narrowed my choice to between the Tissot Visodate and the Automatic III. I was working in Bristol so went in to the Mall and had a look at them both, I was 50:50. One Jewellers had the Visodate and I cheekily asking if they could knock anything off the price, they said £350 so I took it. Not a bad deal considering it seems to be £395 everywhere.

The strap is quite stiff, hoping it loosens up as it's also slightly too tight but will be too loose on the next hole.

Soldato
All you watch lovers around London, I just wanted to pop in and suggest the Patek Phillippe exhibition at the Saatchi gallery. It has a very limited run (about 10 days), and this weekend is the last. They have some incredibly examples and pieces there from the Patek museum including the original first ever non key wrist watch, a selection of royal watches and one of only three of the 175th edition grandmaster chime ever made.

That aside, they also have the head of development explaining the intricacies of movements with plastic mechanisms (explained the perpetual calendar, chronograph and split second chronograph whilst I was there), a selection of guys doing jewellery setting, and similar (basically the decorative side of stuff), and four guys at the end who work in the British Patek service centre. Found out some really great stuff about Patek there.

It's free and they give you a free book with glossy prints of photos of all the watches involved as well. Well worth the money but obviously get's quite busy. There was perhaps a 20-30 minute wait to get in and it was busy inside. That said, still well worth it.

kd

Caporegime
Yes, £1500 is a lot for a CW, but honestly the quality is exceptional now.

If your budget limit is too low for an in house movement, then most of the time you're buying an ETA in a posh case anyway so arguably it's irrelevant what make you buy. Heck, Bell and Ross use ETA movements and they start at £1800+

he could get a Nomos:

http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/

£1.5k for a CW is a bit ridiculous regardless of some subjective assessment that the 'quality' is brilliant now... Part of the price hike is blatantly just down to marketing considerations and trying to become aligned as a more premium brand.

I still think the Longines Legend Diver is a good option around that price range too and yes part of that is alos down to the marketing guff, it having a bit of history behind it etc..

Associate
All you watch lovers around London, I just wanted to pop in and suggest the Patek Phillippe exhibition at the Saatchi gallery. It has a very limited run (about 10 days), and this weekend is the last. They have some incredibly examples and pieces there from the Patek museum including the original first ever non key wrist watch, a selection of royal watches and one of only three of the 175th edition grandmaster chime ever made.

That aside, they also have the head of development explaining the intricacies of movements with plastic mechanisms (explained the perpetual calendar, chronograph and split second chronograph whilst I was there), a selection of guys doing jewellery setting, and similar (basically the decorative side of stuff), and four guys at the end who work in the British Patek service centre. Found out some really great stuff about Patek there.

It's free and they give you a free book with glossy prints of photos of all the watches involved as well. Well worth the money but obviously get's quite busy. There was perhaps a 20-30 minute wait to get in and it was busy inside. That said, still well worth it.

kd

Thanks for the reminder about this - will definitely check it out!

Associate
Well, I half knew where this was going, but after buying these replicas and homages, I just got the go ahead from Mrs Boss to buy a planet ocean 232.30.46.21.01.002 -- new! Have to says I've been doing very well lately but it still technically unnecessary, on the other hand, it's less wasteful than the bimmer!
W00t!

So, suggestions on where to spend my hard earned cash? The two discount stores?

Soldato
What are peoples' opinions on this? I'm thinking of getting one as a daily beater.

Junghans_07_chronoscope_wrist.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Well, I half knew where this was going, but after buying these replicas and homages, I just got the go ahead from Mrs Boss to buy a planet ocean 232.30.46.21.01.002 -- new! Have to says I've been doing very well lately but it still technically unnecessary, on the other hand, it's less wasteful than the bimmer!
W00t!

So, suggestions on where to spend my hard earned cash? The two discount stores?

Swisswatchesdirect or iconicwatches seem to be relaible from reports.

Back
Top Bottom