What watch do you wear?

Caporegime

That'll end up to be around £570 after you factor in the duty and charges. Can be had for £540 in the below link.

Thanks, I was hoping for a UK distributor at that price. I had seen some from the US but once import charges are added on it increases the price a fair bit

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/hamilton-khaki-navy-pioneer-h78465553.html

Soldato
Guys, its my 30th birthday in Jan and the wife is wanting to save up for a present for me and I think what better time to get another nice watch.

Really happy with the Christopher Ward I have at present but would like to upgrade to at least an Automatic now.

I love the look of the tridents but at £1500 is this really where a CW should be? I always thought CW are fantastic for ~£500 watches but feel at £1500 and with their constant sales the money just wouldn't be worth it?

If you had a budget of say £1500 what would you choose? I think design wise something like an Omega Seamaster or Rolex GMT is my dream!

I would like to think I could get a watch that would hold as much value as possible.
Cheers guys.

Man of Honour
I do like CW and was pretty active on their forums in the early days. I have a last gen trident and for the less than £300 I paid for it in a sale, it was exceptional value. I have felt for a long time that CW at the upper end is a tough sell as compared to the competition.

£1,500 will take you a long way in the used market if you are willing not to go new.

Man of Honour
I haven't got a close eye on the market at the mo but I believe some models of sea master will be in reach. Keep in mind all but the most abused recent watches can be brought back to more or less original condition with a proper service and polish.

Associate
That Hamilton watch is ace mrk, where did you spot the deal for £450?

I need a new watch soon..

My Seiko Kinetic premium is finally dying.. got it in 2006 for £550 and the battery / capacitor thing inside must be dead since it doesn't hold a charge. I am quite tempted to save for a year and get a Tudor or Rolex. In terms of longevity is there a reasonably priced low maintenance automatic watch that lasts for more than 10 years?

Budget is around £2000

Caporegime
I love the look of the tridents but at £1500 is this really where a CW should be? I always thought CW are fantastic for ~£500 watches but feel at £1500 and with their constant sales the money just wouldn't be worth it?

I'd feel ripped off getting one now, they used to sell for £300 or so

If you had a budget of say £1500 what would you choose?

if it is a diver you want then perhaps:

http://www.longines.com/#!/watches/heritage-collection/l3-674-4-50-0

Associate
Yes, £1500 is a lot for a CW, but honestly the quality is exceptional now.

If your budget limit is too low for an in house movement, then most of the time you're buying an ETA in a posh case anyway so arguably it's irrelevant what make you buy. Heck, Bell and Ross use ETA movements and they start at £1800+

That being the case I'd buy a CW with confidence - especially the new Trident white face, which is a lovely looking watch now.

If you can stretch to the limited edition Trident with CW's own movement it's a top quality watch with an in house movement - absolutely worth the money imo.

If you really can't see it, then a second hand Seamaster is within your reach, but if you want a watch to hand down to your son etc, then keep saving money and buy your Rolex dream watch.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, £1500 is a lot for a CW, but honestly the quality is exceptional now.

If your budget limit is too low for an in house movement, then most of the time you're buying an ETA in a posh case anyway so arguably it's irrelevant what make you buy. Heck, Bell and Ross use ETA movements and they start at £1800+

That being the case I'd buy a CW with confidence - especially the new Trident white face, which is a lovely looking watch now.

If you can stretch to the limited edition Trident with CW's own movement it's a top quality watch with an in house movement - absolutely worth the money imo.

If you really can't see it, then a second hand Seamaster is within your reach, but if you want a watch to hand down to your son etc, then keep saving money and buy your Rolex dream watch.

its just a shame it will be completely worthless 30s after you take it out of the box. The quality is "OK", but not as good as steinhart tbh (maybe the new trident is a big hike up) which used to be similar prices, but with CW's stratospheric price hikes over the last few years isnt the case now; and now CW really doesnt mean VFM. Those watch brands which stick an ETA into a "posh case" hold their money far better tbh.

Id avoid CW. Check out Steinhart, Tudor (maybe?), Sinn, Damasko et al.

Associate
its just a shame it will be completely worthless 30s after you take it out of the box. The quality is "OK", but not as good as steinhart tbh (maybe the new trident is a big hike up) which used to be similar prices, but with CW's stratospheric price hikes over the last few years isnt the case now; and now CW really doesnt mean VFM. Those watch brands which stick an ETA into a "posh case" hold their money far better tbh.

Steinhart? Believe me I've seen the new Trident, it's leagues ahead of Steinhart in quality and arguably on a par with the cheaper Seamasters.

Soldato

Strongly agree. I've had 3 CWs and they've all had to go back at least once. They feel reasonably good quality but just don't stand the test of time.

Soldato
Thanks guys, to be honest I really do like the look of the CW Tridents, however when looking on the watchfinder site (thanks TB) when you can have something like this http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/Seamaster 300m/2264.50.00/1139/item/48926which has the 'band' I would love to own then it is a difficult decision to make.

I think I may need to see a Trident in the flesh, however I may always wish I had gone for say an Omega.

Soldato
Thanks guys, to be honest I really do like the look of the CW Tridents, however when looking on the watchfinder site (thanks TB) when you can have something like this http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/Seamaster 300m/2264.50.00/1139/item/48926which has the 'band' I would love to own then it is a difficult decision to make.

I think I may need to see a Trident in the flesh, however I may always wish I had gone for say an Omega.

You're welcome mate, hope it gave you food for thought :)

And as others have said if you want an omega, get an omega :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
^Tudor might be a lucrative buy at present, I can only imagine their prices going up as the years go on now that people are more aware of the brand, and the fact that they are making strides in standing out from the other mid to higher end competition./ This would be more the case after a year or two once the new in-house movement has established itself against the tried and tested ETA workhorses used currently.

That Hamilton watch is ace mrk, where did you spot the deal for £450?

I need a new watch soon..

My Seiko Kinetic premium is finally dying.. got it in 2006 for £550 and the battery / capacitor thing inside must be dead since it doesn't hold a charge. I am quite tempted to save for a year and get a Tudor or Rolex. In terms of longevity is there a reasonably priced low maintenance automatic watch that lasts for more than 10 years?

Budget is around £2000

It was on the watch gallery's ebay page and shipping was £15. Though being hit with customs is down to pure luck in my experience so ya takes yer chances! I guess.

I'm still umnming and ahhing about buying it, the UK price is under around £560. There doesn't appear to be any other watch on sale from my week long searching that matches the case design and dial aesthetic of that Navy Pioneer either so it's either that or nothing really.

I have the dive watch covered by the Tudor, I really like that Hamilton to cover dress and for those days of change of mood...

Last edited:
Associate
Have a wedding coming up and looking to buy a nice watch for the day. I'm wearing a blue suit/brown shoes/belt. I was thinking a white faced watch with brown strap.

Anybody point me in the right direction ? I certainly don't want to spend loads. I was looking at Parnis watches but don't know what quality is like and where is the best place to purchase.

Back
Top Bottom