What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Moony is definitely next on my list; then perhaps a genuine Sub, but, I'm still not totally sold on it, it's a bit small for my wrist :/

Which ref numbers have you tried? The 116610 is the newer date Sub with ceramic bezel, but with wider crown guards and lugs when compared to the 16610. It reportedly wears and looks much larger because of this.

I just didn't get on with it when I tried it on (so no actual use or daily wear) compared to the 16610 precisely because I felt it had lost the elegance of its ancestor when it 'bulked up', but you may like the change.

The 116610 is on the left:

hotlinked image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Associate
Ohh I see what you mean! I have to say I have an 'homage' that is 44mm (dial) wide and it's nearly /perfect/ size, thats why I was worried about the small sub. Migth try to source a rep of that one to use as a 'demo' version :)

I agree the proportion of the 16610 looks neater somehow, the new one is 'bulkier'

Which ref numbers have you tried? The 116610 is the newer date Sub with ceramic bezel, but with wider crown guards and lugs when compared to the 16610. It reportedly wears and looks much larger because of this.

I just didn't get on with it when I tried it on (so no actual use or daily wear) compared to the 16610 precisely because I felt it had lost the elegance of its ancestor when it 'bulked up', but you may like the change.

The 116610 is on the left:

hotlinked image

Soldato
Yeah, I see what you mean. I use to be into big watches but after wearing a 40mm for awhile you do get use to the size. I wouldn't go smaller than 40mm tho.

Soldato
Conversely, I've been wearing a 34mm Longines auto from the 70s for the past few years, and recently got a 16610 Submariner - it doesn't feel any bigger at all in terms of case size! It is substantially heavier, but I haven't really noticed the extra width and thickness.

Apologies for the hotlinked image Stulid

Soldato
Disappointing to see some negative comments towards Chris Ward watches. I was looking at getting one based on the positive reviews I've seen on here!

I like the style of the C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II with the silver face and brown strap. Anyone know of any similar watches? Must be same price or less as that is top end of my budget.

As mentioned before, the negative comments are towards their pricing structure which has taken a hike. My opinion is that CW no longer offer good value for money. They are relatively new to this game and have a long way to go before they are an established watch maker and brand. Their pricing suggests to me that they are trying to get in to a league which they are not ready for.

They make solid pieces, but there are other microbrands out there that offer the same quality at a smaller price.

Having said that, ultimately, if you like their watches and don't mind the price hike over the last few years, who are we to tell you otherwise? :)

Buy and wear what you like!

Man of Honour
I've got no time for any of the Omega 'limited editions'.

I've got a fairly hefty chunk of extra on call allowance and a bonus on the way and I'm trying to decide between the blue Omega SMPc (212.30.41.20.01.001) or the Speedy Moonwatch (311.30.42.30.01.006). Two very different watches but I can't choose.

I did have a similar blue one but changed it for a later mode. Given that choice now it would be for the Moony but you can't fail with either.

Caporegime
I did have a similar blue one but changed it for a later mode. Given that choice now it would be for the Moony but you can't fail with either.

Does the Moonwatch wear much bigger than the SMPc? The only thing that bugs me is the lack of date and the fact I WILL forget to wind it and I'll wonder why my day is dragging on - maybe I'll get into the habit. Also the box it comes in is preposterous and I wish there was an option just to get the watch in the normal box for a couple of hundred quid less.

Associate
Does the Moonwatch wear much bigger than the SMPc? The only thing that bugs me is the lack of date and the fact I WILL forget to wind it and I'll wonder why my day is dragging on - maybe I'll get into the habit. Also the box it comes in is preposterous and I wish there was an option just to get the watch in the normal box for a couple of hundred quid less.

Moon watch wears about the same. Although most of the blurb states it's 42mm, it's actually 40mm because of the asymmetric case.

Soldato

They do do an automatic Speedmaster Day Date - uses a generic movement, but it does look rather nice, if perhaps a little busy.

Man of Honour

There's not much difference between them. I'd like one because of the space connection which is one of my interests. The lack of date would also bug me a little. You can get a similar one with date:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...resentation/speedmaster-moonwatch-chronograph

or:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...speedmaster-mark-2?watchHubRef=32710435006001

There is also another "space" watch:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/speedmaster/skywalker-x-33/presentation/skywalker-x33

That one is tempting.

Soldato
Just picked up a Rolex Milgauss - is there a place that tells you the screwdriver needed to remove the links or do people just buy the kits on ebay?

Also, for insurance I may have to get it valued. Does anyone know how much jewelers typically charge for this?

Thanks

Soldato
Just picked up a Rolex Milgauss - is there a place that tells you the screwdriver needed to remove the links or do people just buy the kits on ebay?

Also, for insurance I may have to get it valued. Does anyone know how much jewelers typically charge for this?

Thanks

You could get the jewellers who're going to value your watch to do it, but if not I find half decent jewellers screwdrivers work just fine. If you're not a clumsy oaf, no harm will come to the screws.

Back
Top Bottom