What watch do you wear?

Associate
To be honest, it's a very common model. Just keep photographs and serial number plus ask whoever gave it to retain the receipt.

You'll have no problem with insurance values, no need for a special valuation - they are generally only needed for jewellery which can vary wildly in value according to quality.

Associate
So what about the Speedy Pro 3576.50 ? http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-3576-50-00.html

Trying to narrow down the choice here, and as much as I like the 'classic', quite frankly paying 2.5k for a watch with a plastic top isn't fantastic... that 3576.50 also has the moonphase complication but stays symmetrical, and has a display case back for movement p0rn :)

Opinions? I won't buy /immediately/ anyway, need to buffer a bit the last couple of watches :>

Soldato
So what about the Speedy Pro 3576.50 ? http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-3576-50-00.html

Trying to narrow down the choice here, and as much as I like the 'classic', quite frankly paying 2.5k for a watch with a plastic top isn't fantastic... that 3576.50 also has the moonphase complication but stays symmetrical, and has a display case back for movement p0rn :)

Opinions? I won't buy /immediately/ anyway, need to buffer a bit the last couple of watches :>

If you're fine with it not being a moony at all (it really isn't when you're changing the movement and adding complications - they're just giving it that name to sell things), then go for it.

I don't know who makes the movement for that, so it's probably an ETA-based one? Again, if you're fine with it not being an Omega movement then go for it.

Caporegime
If you're fine with it not being a moony at all (it really isn't when you're changing the movement and adding complications - they're just giving it that name to sell things), then go for it.

I don't know who makes the movement for that, so it's probably an ETA-based one? Again, if you're fine with it not being an Omega movement then go for it.

It's based on the original movement plus a module for the moonphase.

Iconic have the display caseback moonwatch for £2870, so are you bothered about the moonphase enough to spend another £140? I think the display caseback adds a bit of extra thickness?

4 subdials is a bit much really.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are "spec me" threads allowed on here?

Friend is after a "watch for life" - something that he can pass down to his daughter etc. He wants a simple elegant watch, hates dive watches and chunky hands - so a simple case and elegant hands. Nothing blingy or chunky

Then trouble is that he wants it to stand up to a lot of abuse, he does a lot of kayaking and other things - so something that'll survive a bash and plenty of muddy water.

£1000-£2000 - any ideas?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You are not going to easily get a watch for that kind of use that isn't a dive watch - And dive watches adhere to a certain style, which you say he doesn't like. So options are severely limited really.

The only one I can think of is a Nomos. 200m water resistance, elegant, suits both male and female wrists, sapphire crystal in a stainless steel case. They exceed the budget by around £500 though, but would be my choice.

Associate
Any suggestions that aren't too chunky or have mad hands? Most of the dive watches aren't terribly elegant!

The smaller, older seamasters might do? Not the 'deville' sort of kind, but the 300 sort of line... I wouldn't call it /elegant/ as a dress watch, but definitely smaller than the new ones, and can probably take a beating...

Associate
It's based on the original movement plus a module for the moonphase.

Iconic have the display caseback moonwatch for £2870, so are you bothered about the moonphase enough to spend another £140? I think the display caseback adds a bit of extra thickness?

4 subdials is a bit much really.

Well, I'm definitely not an astronaut, so having an EVA ready watch isn't too essential (altho I do like the connection) however I *am* an amateur astronomer, so the moonphase complication rings a bit of a bell...

Is the display caseback too thick? I wonder, I'll try to google pictures; thats an interesting point.

Caporegime
Any suggestions that aren't too chunky or have mad hands? Most of the dive watches aren't terribly elegant!

Quartz seamasters are quite slim, they're well made and will last forever. I think that's the first and last time I'll ever recommend one but I think it fits the bill.

Well, I'm definitely not an astronaut, so having an EVA ready watch isn't too essential (altho I do like the connection) however I *am* an amateur astronomer, so the moonphase complication rings a bit of a bell...

Is the display caseback too thick? I wonder, I'll try to google pictures; thats an interesting point.

I have seen people mention that it lifts the watch up from the wrist a little bit, but I've not seen for myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having worn my Speedmaster daily for the last 5 months, winding it every morning before I put it on is now second nature.

The hesalite crystal is part of the charm of the moonwatch, and gives the dial a much better look IMO. Mine has stood up well so far, very tiny micro scratches when reflected in bright light, but nothing a bit of polish can't sort out. If it gets massively dinged, it doesn't cost as much as sapphire to replace and it's replaced when the watch is serviced anyway.

The display back, although nice to look at a couple of times is a bit of a waste of time. The watch should be on your wrist!

Soldato
You are not going to easily get a watch for that kind of use that isn't a dive watch - And dive watches adhere to a certain style, which you say he doesn't like. So options are severely limited really.

The only one I can think of is a Nomos. 200m water resistance, elegant, suits both male and female wrists, sapphire crystal in a stainless steel case. They exceed the budget by around £500 though, but would be my choice.

Neither of us had ever heard of nomos but just looked them up - those are absolutely gorgeous watches and exactly what he's after..... Except the second hand. That style but with an actual second hand is EXACTLY what he wants :)

Now I sort of want one of those though

Soldato
Quartz seamasters are quite slim, they're well made and will last forever. I think that's the first and last time I'll ever recommend one but I think it fits the bill.

The style of some of those looks right but he's set on an automatic - which I do understand, there's something about a mechanical watch that's somehow more appealing and romantic

Caporegime
The style of some of those looks right but he's set on an automatic - which I do understand, there's something about a mechanical watch that's somehow more appealing and romantic

The auto is just a bit thicker but still fairly sleek for a diver, which is why it appeals so much to me.

Soldato
The auto is just a bit thicker but still fairly sleek for a diver, which is why it appeals so much to me.

I like the look of them personally but he doesn't want any smaller dials on the face.. I did find a picture of a Quartz speedmaster without that but can't find an automatic without them :(

Back
Top Bottom